Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the fence for a ps3

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default On the fence for a ps3

I always try to try out a system and when im done playing hat games I want I usually sell it off. I own genesis, ps1, ps2, psp, saturn, sega cd, snes, nes, n64, gamecube, wii, 360

But the lack of games that interest and the cost have kept me away frpm the Ps3

The only games that interest me for it are God of war 3, Little big planet, Folklore and Valkyrie chronicles so are they enough to spend $350?
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if it means anything, I only have 2 PS3 games; I bought it for MGS4, and Blu-Ray. I didn't buy it because it has "tons of games," but because it offered more of what I actually cared about than the 360. Weigh what you want in a console, not what fanboys from any side tell you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

I got mine for similar reasons, but mostly for the blu-ray player honestly! Stand alone blurays run $300 for a decent one, so why not spend $100 more for the game player? I bought the MGS4 bundle, but still haven't put the game in yet, but I have played some Bad Company, Pure, and Ratchet and Clank Future and they are good games. I've always been an Xbox guy and I just like the controllers and online experience more on the Xbox side, so I really don't use the PS3 much at all for gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Monkeyfracker

If you already have a 360, I would advise that you only buy a PS3 if
    You have to play MGS4 (And it is almost good enough to justify this)
    You really want blu-ray

And I say this as someone who owns and loves their PS3.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I tend to stay out of these types of discussions as I never want to take responsibility for making a recommendation based on my personal tastes, but I'd say that this year the PS3 is much less cost-prohibitive than the previous two holiday seasons, AND the system now comes with a Dual Shock 3 controller and a much bigger HDD.

If PS2 backwards compatibility isn't what you're looking for (all PS3s are still and always have been PS1 backwards compatible) I'd say go for it!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

well I would recommend getting one that is ps2 compatible cause I didnt and now I want to play a ps2 game (sold my ps2) and now need to acquire a ps2 again! The ps3 is a wonderful machine. I bought mine with HDMI and hooked it up to a big screen with 1080p (high recomend you have such setup) I use it for dvds and blurays

Games I've played: Time crisis 4 (good) Gran turismo 5 (excellent) ferrari challenge (excellent) wangan midnight (bleh) and I've downloaded a bunch of stuff (shmups, interactive movie, wipeout hd)

My 360 sees way more play. But its not a bad system. Still a few games I might pick up (resistance 1 and 2, heavenly sword) and hopefully things will pick up later

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The price is slightly higher on the 60 gig model but it has the added benefit of being a ps2 that will still work in a couple of years after the last of the working ps2s die off.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so how do you know if it's PS2 compatible or not? if the price keeps coming down, I may get one for the Blu-Ray player, but if I do, I'm gonna want one that lets me play PS2 games for sure, since I never have bought a PS2 yet
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    so how do you know if it's PS2 compatible or not? if the price keeps coming down, I may get one for the Blu-Ray player, but if I do, I'm gonna want one that lets me play PS2 games for sure, since I never have bought a PS2 yet
    I'm not sure if there's a SKU guide out there ... but both of the launch units 20/60 Gig were fully PS2 backwards compatible with on-board emotion engine hardware (the 20 gig didn't have the excellent built in Wi-Fi or the SD/Memory Stick/CF card slots)

then there were 40/80 Gig skus, the the 40 Gig did not have PS2 compatibility and the 80 Gig DID via software emulation.

Now, I'm pretty sure there are 80/120 Gig skus that don't have PS2 compatibility at all. For the time being the feature has been fully removed.

Why? Because Sony still makes assloads of cash off of selling the PS2 hardware, and contrary to what some people think - I believe that Sony WILL put it back into the PS3 hardware the MOMENT that they retire the PS2 from production. Whether they'll be able to do it via software emulation like the post 20/60 gig skus is a mystery, but I think that'll be the case.

A good unit to look for that you'll be able to find new (online mostly) is the MGS4 PS3, that one absolutely has the PS2 compatibility, a dual shock 3, and a nice size HDD 80 Gig ... oh, and a copy of MGS4.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 12-04-2008 at 12:18 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I'm not sure if there's a SKU guide out there ...
    Behold!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/17/ho...art-revisited/

I second the buying of the MGS4 bundle. I did and I'm happy with mine.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Behold!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/17/ho...art-revisited/

I second the buying of the MGS4 bundle. I did and I'm happy with mine.
    Awesome guide. Gotta love joystiq.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I used to own both 360 and PS3 but now only the PS3. The 360 has more exclusives that are good, though the PS3 does have some good ones. The majority of the games that are good are multiconsole, so mainly matters which features you like and which controller you prefer overall.

For the 360.
    -You can listen to the music on your 360 midgame. Something I've said time and time again Sony needs to do. The only games I've noticed this on where Wipeout Pulse and Crazy Taxi for PSP which you make a folder with music and it'll use those songs in the soundtrack(F Zero X music in Wipeout Pulse ftw.) There's also options in custom firmware that allows you to do it at any time for any game.

-XBOX Live Arcade and Marketplace. The PS3 is slowly acquiring downloadable games on the system that aren't PSX games but they're no where near the capacity of games that the XBOX Live Arcade is. I'm not a fan of downloadable games, but almost every game that's downloadable is playable multiplayer through XBOX Live.

With the rest of the marketplace where you can download videos and everything, you're offered a much larger choice than what the PS3 offers and for cheaper. Most of the videos there offer pretty lengthy trailers(I remember downloading the Dark Knight Trailers and then downloaded the one on the PS3 only to get pissed off from how short it was(less than 30 seconds.) Also alot of content to download.

-Online is $50 a year.

For the PS3.
    -Blu Ray Player.

-XMB and extra features. XMB is altogether better than the dashboard and easier to get around. You want to go to the games, just move over to games, scroll down. You can also go online, but being able to go online if you have a computer already is a pretty stupid feature, though if you don't have a computer or if you don't download anything on your computer then it's definitely worth just using the PS3 for that. The PS3 also gets music effects which is useless unless you like to sit there and just do nothing while watching some pretty music effects. The PS3 also has taken the feature from the PSP which any movie that you've downloaded you can end up hitting square to automatically create a DVD-like chapter menu to go to whatever point in the movie you want to go(a feature that I think is pretty awesome.)

-PSN. The PSN overall sucks compared to the XBOX Live Marketplace. It's not difficult to get around, but overall the Live Marketplace is much easier to get around and find what you're looking for. There's also HOME which has been in development for 372 years and still hasn't been released.

-PS3/PSP Ad-Hoc party. If you own and love your PSP, then you should forget about everything else good and bad for the 360 and the PS3 and just go pick up a PS3. The Ad-Hoc party is currently available now in Japan so you can still download it and play games against other people. The Ad-Hoc party is like XLink Kai in which it makes the PSP's think both players are in the same room. Currently over 30 games are compatible like Phantasy Star Portable, GTA LCS, Gundam vs Gundam, and Gundam Battle Chronicle for a few examples. It came out only a short while ago and it already has a large compatibility lineup, so it looks like all Ad-Hoc games will be compatible soon.

-Online is free.

*edit*

The PS3 is also compatible with one of the multiple Linux operating systems that have been created for it. While you really wouldn't need to do so since it's a gaming system, if you'd rather use the PS3 as a PC/gaming system the option is available. There are many guides on how to configure the Linux operating system(it'll be as good as any single core PC you could buy/make, but don't think it'll be as good as any dual or quad core PC's because it won't be. Not to mention alot of games aren't compatible)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-04-2008 at 02:49 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But still part of my original question has gone unanswered

Should I get a Ps3 for Folklore, Valkyria chronicles, Little Big planet, God of war 3 and FF13 versus
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Charlie View Post

Should I get a Ps3 for Folklore, Valkyria chronicles, Little Big planet, God of war 3 and FF13 versus
    Add MGS4 and those are the reasons I'll be getting one (minus Versus). So I guess my answer would be "yes".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

If you are only interested in those games, then no it is not worth it, due to Two of those games not even being out.

Honestly, I like the PS3 as much as I pull my hair out on how Sony has marketed the system. There are many pros to the system, as well as cons as mentioned. I own a 20 gig and overall like it, although I paid full price to buy one new. It was the most I ever spent on one game item. Here are my top pros and cons. In the end you have to ask yourself.....Am I going to enjoy my PS3 enough to spend XXX dollars on it? For me, I use it and will use it for my PS2, music, DVD, PS3, Blu Ray stuff so I use it for much more than the just a couple of games.

Pros
    It plays Blu Ray movies...if you have an HDTV it looks very nice
    Online play is free, no more $50 a year annoying
    I find sometimes better deals on the PS3 version of games due to not selling as well
    Internet browser
    Playstation home....I think its a decent free service
    The ability the swap out hard drives very easily, the manual shows you how. Also non propitiatory hard drive makes it easy to fix if found used
    Upcoming library of games for 2009 looks decent
    Quiet system

Cons
    Price...the system is pretty expensive, I predict a price drop within a year of $100 or more

Being that the system is $399 for the cheap one is alot of clams

Not bundled with HD cables or headset....that another quick $50 to $60 bucks that is a must. Annoying that it is not bundled in

Few of my friends have one, so if online gaming with your buds is your thing, that is tough

The whole Backwards compatibility thing.... ugg. Not being able to play PS2 games with the new systems that are found in stores....stupid.

Install times on most all games, if plug and play gaming is your thing, or if you have never been a PC gamer, some people get annoyed.

I consider myself not partial to any one system, as I have most main consoles released in the last 35 years from Odyssey 1 to Xbox 360. I think for many Sony is going to have to sweeten the carrot more for people to go out an buy one.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0) We Are Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Wearen1nja
    PSN
    Weareninja

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
    ...I've always been an Xbox guy and I just like the controllers and online experience more on the Xbox side, so I really don't use the PS3 much at all for gaming.
    I'm the exact opposite. I've always been a Playstation guy; my 360 sees mostly Gears of War and a handful of other exclusives, but I'm usually on the Playstation. I like the controller, the *free* online gaming/networking (Especially now that the HOME beta is out. Once it gets up an running, it's gonna be huge...) and the console itself. I like being able to browse the net for wallpapers and new forum posts between games.

I haven't played Folklore. Valkyria Chronicles is getting good reviews. Little Big planet is like cute, cuddly crack, and God of War 3 is, well, God of War.

Versus looks awesome, but I'm not a FF fan...

I say go for it. And if you do, keep us posted. I'd like to hear how it compares to the 360 in your opinion.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say so. Folklore, VC and LBP are all great, plus you're bound to find a bunch of other games for it that you enjoy while waiting for Versus and God of War III to release.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

I'd say get it if you have an HDTV. bluray is absolutely amazing. The games look nice too (so far, InFamous looks most beautiful to me).

Personally I think the console is worth the cost just for the upconversion (absolutely necessary for HDTV owners) and bluray. while i normally buy consoles when at least one must-have game (for me) comes out, for the ps3, so far, there is nothing, not even on the horizon. but it is worth it to me for upconversion & bluray, i am very happy with the ps3.

i do my gaming on the 360 which i think beats the ps3 out on games, content, online and controller. also netflix streaming is amazing for me.
    Last edited by Poofta!; 12-13-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Turntablist
    PSN
    DJ_Daishi

I would say get it if you already have a 360. just the Blu-Ray feature alone warrants the purchase...that, and the occasional good game that comes out once every few months.
    -DJ

My EPIC "For Sale" Thread: CLICKY