Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gamestop dumping DS cases now???

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Whats worse is that Gamestop used prices are 5.00 less than new. Then there's the fact that because they're used, people think they're getting a good deal and still buy them. Some people have no common sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's sad that Gamestop only sees sqft as $$$. Always thinking just how much can they pack into those small outlets.

Throwing out DS cases isn't a total surprise, as it's what they've done with pretty much any box/cart based games in the past. Though this is the first I've heard of cases being thrown out to make more room. (and I might ask, for what? Last I heard DS was selling well, not to mention its a current-gen system!)

My pet peeve with the current GS situation is not only the general poor condition everything is in--but that employees basically treat it as if it's no big deal. On the rare occassion I do find a game there I've been looking for, it's either: stickered up all over the place (INCLUDING the insert), disc only with that fugly generic case, or if it is complete it is jammed up against the end of the shelf so that IF you can manage to get it out, you find out the case has been scratched to hell, in some situations with tears in the plastic.

I realize I might be a little more anal about condition than your average sticky-fingered 8 year-old, but when nearly your whole business is selling USED games, shouldn't there be some standards?

So when I buy a game and the clerk asks me if i'm sure I don't want to buy more games because they have a b2g1 free going on (as they did on black fri weekend), I just have to hang my head and say no... not because I like passing up good deals, but because I couldn't find 3 games in GS that I would want to buy to save my life.

I'm going to stop myself here, but I could go on...and on...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

my gamestop doesn't do this, all of the DS games are in their cases on the shelves. Even the gamecube and xbox still have their cases in bins in the middle of the store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fpbrush View Post
    It's sad that Gamestop only sees sqft as $$$. Always thinking just how much can they pack into those small outlets.

Throwing out DS cases isn't a total surprise, as it's what they've done with pretty much any box/cart based games in the past. Though this is the first I've heard of cases being thrown out to make more room. (and I might ask, for what? Last I heard DS was selling well, not to mention its a current-gen system!)

My pet peeve with the current GS situation is not only the general poor condition everything is in--but that employees basically treat it as if it's no big deal. On the rare occassion I do find a game there I've been looking for, it's either: stickered up all over the place (INCLUDING the insert), disc only with that fugly generic case, or if it is complete it is jammed up against the end of the shelf so that IF you can manage to get it out, you find out the case has been scratched to hell, in some situations with tears in the plastic.

I realize I might be a little more anal about condition than your average sticky-fingered 8 year-old, but when nearly your whole business is selling USED games, shouldn't there be some standards?

So when I buy a game and the clerk asks me if i'm sure I don't want to buy more games because they have a b2g1 free going on (as they did on black fri weekend), I just have to hang my head and say no... not because I like passing up good deals, but because I couldn't find 3 games in GS that I would want to buy to save my life.

I'm going to stop myself here, but I could go on...and on...
    What is bad, is one time I went in to try and score a deal on some Sega 360 Games, told them what I was looking for, they tried to get me to pre-order EA Crapball 2025 and I just walked out.

I do like messing with the clerks. Screw it. If they try to get me to pre-order, they better sell it to me. When they ask me to pre-order a game, I ask them for details about the game, and then I get super specific. If they can't answer my questions, then I tell them I am going to a GameStop who cares to pre-order since I am excited about the game. Messed up? Yes. Do I care? No. Get a better job if you don't like it. Gamestop sucks anyway.

I love when they try to get me to pre-order a EA football game. I drill em with questions. Normally I don't walk out, but ask them, "dude, why the hell should I pre-order a game you are super jazzed about but know nothing about."

Hey there kiddies, sell it. I have jad to sell over the phone. That crap is hard and nearly impossible, but I pulled it off. Put some effort into your sales. I used to sell Norton Anti-virus to people, even if they had McAffee. It was a special Earthlink edition that everybody knew blew goats, but I sold it anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    What is bad, is one time I went in to try and score a deal on some Sega 360 Games, told them what I was looking for, they tried to get me to pre-order EA Crapball 2025 and I just walked out.
    One time when I was buying a game an employee said "Hey, if you like this game, you'd love God of War II. It's coming out soon and you can preorder it now!"

I was buying a Kirby game.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't even remember the last time I bought something at Gamestop. Their practices make me ill.

Just goes to show...Joe needs to franchise and as soon as he wants to run a DP store in Milford, NH, I'm there to run it.

Joe, can we please start putting GS out of business now? Please?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I see a thread like this, and just wonder if the poster has been completely oblivious to the Gamestop business model for the past 15 years. This is what they do sometimes, don't like it? Don't shop there. Leave me the halfway decent games at the cheap prices for once...
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    I don't even remember the last time I bought something at Gamestop. Their practices make me ill.

Just goes to show...Joe needs to franchise and as soon as he wants to run a DP store in Milford, NH, I'm there to run it.

Joe, can we please start putting GS out of business now? Please?

-Rob
    You know Joe, if you want to branch out to Omaha, you could easily make bank in what I like to call "Gaming Alley"

Within about a half a mile radius, there is a GS, EB Games, Gamers (Local Game place that is seriously a half step away from being as crappy as GS and EB), Family Fun Center (Huge Arcade), Best Buy, Toys R Us.

Throw a DP in there and it would dominate all easily.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post

I do like messing with the clerks. Screw it. If they try to get me to pre-order, they better sell it to me. When they ask me to pre-order a game, I ask them for details about the game, and then I get super specific. If they can't answer my questions, then I tell them I am going to a GameStop who cares to pre-order since I am excited about the game. Messed up? Yes. Do I care? No. Get a better job if you don't like it. Gamestop sucks anyway.

I love when they try to get me to pre-order a EA football game. I drill em with questions. Normally I don't walk out, but ask them, "dude, why the hell should I pre-order a game you are super jazzed about but know nothing about."

Hey there kiddies, sell it. I have jad to sell over the phone. That crap is hard and nearly impossible, but I pulled it off. Put some effort into your sales. I used to sell Norton Anti-virus to people, even if they had McAffee. It was a special Earthlink edition that everybody knew blew goats, but I sold it anyway.
    If I ever come to Omaha or you to Cincinnati, we are going to a GameStop.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Turntablist
    PSN
    DJ_Daishi

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    lol, the only time I buy something at GS is when I buy the game on Amazon or Ebay and have to wait for the game to be shipped to me...and then when I finally receive the game I just turn in that copy to GS and get my money back...oh, don't forget the added pre-order bonuses they always seem to get (Mirror's Edge bag).
    -DJ

My EPIC "For Sale" Thread: CLICKY

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Famidrive-16 View Post
    One time when I was buying a game an employee said "Hey, if you like this game, you'd love God of War II. It's coming out soon and you can preorder it now!"

I was buying a Kirby game.
    ROTFLMAO!
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    I know I would never buy used DS games from them.
    Sometimes its just reasonable too. I was looking for a copy of Nervous Brickdown and they had one for under 20 bucks. Complete with everything.

At any rate, a lot of the local GS stores have been doing this too. I'm not sure if they are indeed throwing away the cases, but its been a lingering suspicion of mine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

As far as I can tell the Gamestop in my town never throws away cases/boxes. Which is weird, since it's a pretty small store. I've picked up a bunch of used DS games there when they do the B2G1F and have picked up a few that I had been having a hard time finding (Phoenix Wright series, Luminous Arc, etc..).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    If I ever come to Omaha or you to Cincinnati, we are going to a GameStop.
    hehehe, everytime i go to a game store here in omaha, if they ever talk to me, i just tear into them. Leave me alone and let me walk away, but I didn't pre-order some new game, meh (don't worry Joe, if I ever come up to Jersey, I will play nice with your employees bro).

they shoulda stopped while i was on my way out the door. Plus, I like the fact that when I ask them questions, they get confused. Nothing is better than seeing a game store clerk cry on the inside because they weren't expecting me to ask questions about gameplay and improvements in a pre-order they are firmly promoting.