Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: True reason PS3 took out Backward Comp. (my bluetooth theory)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I also have a launch 60Gig unit.

I occasionally would get a few seconds of bluetooth disconnect on my original SixaxiS controller.

I eventually purchased a second SixaxiS and then a Dual Shock 3 controller.

Neither of those controllers EVER dropped signal on any game - PS1, PS2 or otherwise. Only my original SixaxiS ever did. (I sold that controller a few months ago.)

Have you tried out new/different controllers? I assume that you have considering how much work you've done to investigate correct the problem, but there is a chance that the dropped signal is because of faulty BT hardware in the controller and not the system.

And ... why wouldn't you send in your 60Gig unit for repairs if this is a constant issue? Does Sony force users who have 60Gig units to downgrade to non-backwards compatible units when they send in units for repair? That really really sucks if that's the case!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    wait, PCs can emulate PS2 now? wow i been under a rock. how good is compatibility?
    pcsx2. Compatibility is relatively poor, less than half.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've only ever had troubles with my original sixaxis controller not responding. It wouldn't just be in PS2 BC either, it could happen anytime pretty much. I used other controllers and I've never had troubles. I also played a lot of PS2 on my original 60 gig. Maybe try other controllers and see what happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxstnj View Post
    This is why Sega and Nintendo need to compete with the RRoD and now the BToD. Bring on the Dreamcast 2!!!!(I hope!!!)

1-The biggest problem I ever had with my Dreamcast was a dead battery in the VMU! (and we all know that is no problem at all!)

2-I never buy launch systems.

3-I will never get rid of my PS1 or PS2.(or DC!!)

4-Can you tell which system I like most?

5-Sega - please learn from their mistakes!
    Wait. Did we just become best friends?

And, Do you want to do karate in the garage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

my ps3 was doing all kinda weird things, so i sent it to sony, for a $129.00 they fxed the problem, and i believe gave me a 90 warranty..............all i can say is AMEN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I've only ever had troubles with my original sixaxis controller not responding. It wouldn't just be in PS2 BC either, it could happen anytime pretty much. I used other controllers and I've never had troubles. I also played a lot of PS2 on my original 60 gig. Maybe try other controllers and see what happens.
    That's what my post says as well if you would bother reading it. It wasn't just with PS2 BC, that's just where it started for me.

This solution also fixes Bluetooth errors with PS3 as well, just access the secret boot screen and you can rebuild the registry....Hold power button down and don't let go till the unit goes off again, then hold it again till it beeps twice and you will get the hidden menu.

I just don't get why you people keep insisting it's the controllers, it isn't this is a totally different problem altogether and in my case it's the console and this is the way I fixed it period. Did noone read that I have fixed the problem? I don't need solutions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the problem can be fixed with a simple menu option, how on earth can you say it has anything to do with backwards-compatibility being removed?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    That's what my post says as well if you would bother reading it. It wasn't just with PS2 BC, that's just where it started for me.

This solution also fixes Bluetooth errors with PS3 as well, just access the secret boot screen and you can rebuild the registry....Hold power button down and don't let go till the unit goes off again, then hold it again till it beeps twice and you will get the hidden menu.

I just don't get why you people keep insisting it's the controllers, it isn't this is a totally different problem altogether and in my case it's the console and this is the way I fixed it period. Did noone read that I have fixed the problem? I don't need solutions.
    Well, if you want to really get into semantics, you say you've "fixed" it ... but what it sounds like is that you've only found a specific routine of how to power on and off the controllers and system to avoid dropping controller sync.

And while that may solve the problem in the case of how the BT functions on your system, that doesn't mean you've actually "fixed" what's caused the initial drops.

I didn't really see anywhere in your original post that says you tried different controllers (different/new ones from outside of your collection up to and including the Dual Shock 3) so that's why I asked the question.

In any case it's cool that you've figured out a work-around that keeps your controllers synced.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 12-15-2008 at 07:05 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    If the problem can be fixed with a simple menu option, how on earth can you say it has anything to do with backwards-compatibility being removed?
    Ay, yi, yi.

First you go through the process of cleaning the system and it's the BC that causes the problem in the first place so just be careful how you use controllers and exit gaming while playing PS2 BC. If you are experiencing these problems.

I'm saying all was well till I started messsing with BC and it has problems for sure, maybe just my system maybe not, I know alot of people have BT problems, but it's something to think about at least if you are having problems, again it's just a theory, I still wouldn't say it's outside the reality of being possible that Sony did it in to an extent cause it had problems. It was/is just a serious coincedence on my side.

I remember it happening in the past now i'm being careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Well, if you want to really get into semantics, you say you've "fixed" it ... but what it sounds like is that you've only found a specific routine of how to power on and off the controllers and system to avoid dropping controller sync.

And while that may solve the problem in the case of how the BT functions on your system, that doesn't mean you've actually "fixed" what's caused the initial drops.
    True, I haven't literally fixed it I have just found a loop hole around it, which is fixed enough for me, least I can play the damn thing now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post

True, I haven't literally fixed it I have just found a loop hole around it, which is fixed enough for me, least I can play the damn thing now.
    I wonder if the bluetooth transmitter/receiver in the PS3 is a separate component that could be swapped out, or if it's really hard-wired to the motherboard.

Ryan Murf has opened a few PS3s at the DP store for repairs ... I recall him saying the way that the system is layed out seems to be very conducive for part swapping (much like the layout of the original Playstation).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original Playstation has like three parts, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interestingly today there will be an update to singstar on the ps3 so you can play your ps2 singstars through the ps3 version on ANY ps3, might not be much and might only be PAL but yeah maybe there is something to this.
    zomg I have a sig

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

on any ps3? if they can make singstar work on any ps3 why cant I play yakuza 2!!!!

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    on any ps3? if they can make singstar work on any ps3 why cant I play yakuza 2!!!!
    Because the code is wildly different for a karaoke game. Emulating some basic pitch detection and streaming music videos is probably easier than an open world game.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Not to mention that SingStar started in PAL land and is a HUGE seller there. People probably arn't rebuying the PS3 version of the games since they've got many of the same songs as the PS2 ones. They've got so many expansions out for it that its not even funny (though the US market seems to have a ton now as well).
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The original Playstation has like three parts, though.
    Well, the PS3 could have 10 and still be layed out for easy part replacement.