Thread: Sega Saturn VF2 and Sega Rally Question.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Saturn VF2 and Sega Rally Question.

They are the only two games with a silver/Grey Colour Scheme. What's up with that. I know late in the Saturn's cycle, Sega dumped the stripe and went with a straight white case. But why do these two games stand out. And why doesn' Astal have it's name on the spine?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Sega was really depending on VF2 and SR to catch them up in the console wars after a slow start. Making their two most notable titles standout silver was no doubt an attempt to ensure during the all important 1995 Christmas season that SEGA's bread and butter would be noticed before anything else. I always liked the look of those two games...I wish Sega had stuck with that for other notable titles throughout its run. Going to white near the end was really cheap.

As for Astal, I don't think anything other than a rush to get these out around launch can be used to explain that negligence. Considering it didn't do well at all, I don't imagine Sega ever thought to release a fixed second pressing.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    They are the only two games with a silver/Grey Colour Scheme. What's up with that. I know late in the Saturn's cycle, Sega dumped the stripe and went with a straight white case. But why do these two games stand out. And why doesn' Astal have it's name on the spine?
    Glad to see someone else notice that the later Saturn games went to a pure white style. It was how I was able to learn of later releases before informaiton was available on the internets. I have friends whom think it is odd I notice these things

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    Glad to see someone else notice that the later Saturn games went to a pure white style. It was how I was able to learn of later releases before informaiton was available on the internets. I have friends whom think it is odd I notice these things
    If you really want to look into it, there's actually a style after the white style, where the shadow on the planet logo and the "Sega Saturn" text itself is removed. This can be seen on the final wave of games (PDS, HOTD, SF3, etc.). Still, at least they stuck with the general style of the previous art, unlike PlayStation, Genesis and Dreamcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet. I have been meaning to ask, but I think it got answered that these are the only 2 games that have this. I had a sweet little mini collection and did not even know it.

One variation that they did around the end with Saturn (which I do want to complete) is the flimsy instruction books.

a couple examples that I can think of off of the top of my head are the EA Sports 98 games, NBA Action 98, Burning Rangers, Sega Touring Car.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    Sweet. I have been meaning to ask, but I think it got answered that these are the only 2 games that have this. I had a sweet little mini collection and did not even know it.

One variation that they did around the end with Saturn (which I do want to complete) is the flimsy instruction books.

a couple examples that I can think of off of the top of my head are the EA Sports 98 games, NBA Action 98, Burning Rangers, Sega Touring Car.
    The flimsy manuals came around with all the pure white releases. You basically need a foam pad inside each of those cases if you don't want the manuals bending. Annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grolt View Post
    The flimsy manuals came around with all the pure white releases. You basically need a foam pad inside each of those cases if you don't want the manuals bending. Annoying.
    a flimsy manual is worth it for underrated gems like Sega Touring Car.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I noticed the shadow as well, and the "Sega Saturn Exclusive" around the logo as well. Thanks for the info about VF2 and SEGA RALLY.

It's neat to learn about these somewhat subtle changes over the consoles lifespan.
    Another differnce would be, so hinges have larger holes than others, not sure if it's a manufacturing plant difference or a change after a certain time.