Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: PSP-4000 and PSP2 Coming Soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The reason the PSP Go will NOT have a second analog stick.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    While I fully understand not segmenting the development and PSP userbase ... I think that they could have easily taken a cue from the hardware modding community in adding a second "simulated" analog stick that simply maps out the up, down, left, right to the X, Square, Triangle, and Circle buttons respectively, that way developers wouldn't have to do ANYTHING different than what they've been doing normally.

But, they're also correct in their assessment that developers have gotten very good at using the face buttons as a 2nd analog solution.

Medal of Honor Heroes and Heroes 2 control superbly for a 1 analog system.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

That's weird. I thought I submitted what I typed up.

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    But, the PSP is a different scenario. The specs on the new Go are the same (more or less) as their previous handheld. I am in no way looking at this device as a next gen handheld. It is still the PSP we all know, with a makeover much like the PSP1000 to PSP2000 makeover. But this time they have decided to remove a critical component...the UMD drive.
    You answered your own question. The PSP 1000, 2000, 3000, and Go are the exact same system except that the Go doesn't utilize UMDs as it is going to be for the "digital only fanbase." They're still selling the PSP 3000 so if you want to play the games on UMD and digital, go buy that system. If you want to play the games digital download only, then go buy the Go.

It's not like Sony is dropping support of PSP games, just the UMD which you'll more than likely have a PSP if you have UMD games(unless you're a collector who has games but not the system; an example would be 1 2 P who needs to buy the system as it does have alot of awesome games.)

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I know the reason without clicking on the link though, though Frankie ended up answering it for a consumer side a little bit. The PSP works fine without the analog on pretty much all RPG titles, action games, and most 3d action/adventure games.

Developers have worked around the fact that there isn't a second analog stick quite well and there's honestly no reason the system really needs to have a second analog for the most part. Games like the Gundam Battle series uses the left analog as a camera viewpoint as well as to switch lock on with the digital pad to move and the buttons to do all your actions. The Syphon Filter games use the analog to either move or aim(depending on your preference,) the face buttons as the opposite(move or aim,) the digital pad to change weapons and inventory, with your R to fire and not really remembering what L does. These two Syphon Filter games are my favorite of the series that I've played and I enjoy them more as stealth/shooting games far more than the Metal Gear series which I actually hate the gameplay but enjoy the story. Then finally, from the same developer, Resistance Retribution has the same type of gameplay as Syphon Filter but it's far more action oriented and has a semi lock on as long as the enemy is in the sight lock.

Now. The only type of games I think wouldn't work as good would first person shooters, but then again, if they use the style of shooting Syphon Filter used, then why not. I haven't played the game as I dislike FPS games, but I've actually heard the Coded Arms games for the PSP were actually good and actually controlled extremely well without the second analog stick.

So no second analog stick is not a problem for what I've played and the PSP is by far my favorite current gen system. I just think people like to bitch just because the PSP doesn't have a second one, regardless if it doesn't matter or not.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Not in that it will dethrone the DS or reduce the sales that the DS is getting, because it wouldn't, but why even bother going to check out the system? Nintendo probably has other people to check the competition out, so why did Miyamoto specifically go and check it out?
    Good save. Lol.
    Please, tell me, what is your definition of "threat", then.
    PSPGO won't reduce Nintendo sales = threat?
    Are you sure you didn't just change your mind after you posted?

He's looking at it because he wanted to see it. I don't doubt that owns a PS3 and a 360 as well. How stupid would it be for him to pretend competition doesn't exist? Yeah, he's going to listen to what they say, look at what they have to offer, and take those things into account when he makes business decisions.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Too bad the second analog stick idea is always shoved aside. It would allow for more fluent PS2 ports and such. Battlefront PSP is unbearable when it comes to controls.
    DERP

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Good save. Lol.
    Please, tell me, what is your definition of "threat", then.
    PSPGO won't reduce Nintendo sales = threat?
    Are you sure you didn't just change your mind after you posted?
    The PSP has currently been the only system to pretty much stand up to any of Nintendo's handheld consoles, which that in itself is a threat. But, Miyamoto could have just read online. "It's only getting digital downloads, smaller, and has the same battery life." He was over at the booth turning it all around while looking at it. Like holding it at a different angle might find some sortof hidden compartment.

I don't know about you, but I don't take 5 minutes(possible exaggeration) to look at the outside of a handheld when viewing a handheld I might be interested in. I'll possibly pick up a DSi someday to replace my DS, I'll open it, hold it and test out how comfortable it is to hold, and if the buttons and their placement are crap like the DS Lite or if they're comfortable enough to make the DSi worth purchasing as a backup. That's it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

No non-nintendo handheld has ever sold as many as the PlayStation Portable before and I believe that if you look at its sales, it is a potential threat to Nintendo.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    No non-nintendo handheld has ever sold as many as the PlayStation Portable before and I believe that if you look at its sales, it is a potential threat to Nintendo.
    I doubt that Nintendo consider the PSP a "threat"... They may look at it as a potential opportunity, but if the Wii and DS teach us nothing else about the way Nintendo is doing business, they should clearly demonstrate that Nintendo has decided to play the market, and not the competition, this gen... Microsoft and Sony consider each other threats, and they've been in an arms race for six+ years now... I think a lot of that "beat the competition" attitude was brought by Sony to the handheld arena as well - remember the early hyperbole about how the PSP was the most powerful handheld and would crush the Nintendo DS blahblahblah? The Wii and DS have outsold their competition by a factor far greater than 2 to 1, despite being the lesser systems from a hardware perspective. How did Nintendo ever find the foresight and fiscal courage to develop and finance these systems if they considered Sony or Microsoft a "threat"? While the pundits decried their hardware decisions as short-sighted and cheap, Nintendo looked at the market and thought, "We can make fun games for interesting systems at a reasonable price point and people will buy them", and they were right. Their ability to step out of the video games arms race is the reason they're so successful today. They know it's a big market and there's room for more than one player. They know that many of the people who own a DS also own a PSP. I'm sure they don't lose sleep over that...