Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Default i hate it when i find things like this

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-Games-4301070

look closely.

i would be all over this if i had a job right now.
    its gonna go pretty high i bet but damnit. friggin economy.

oh god i thought i found another "damnit" moment but its just a pirate

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...ridges-4304482

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't get too mad. These shopgoodwill.com auctions almost always end higher than what the Ebay auctions end at, so you're really not missing out on any great deals.

I just feel sorry for the collectors in Iowa City that are missing out on great finds because they're local Goodwill stores sell all the good stuff online. The Goodwill stores around here have almost all completely dried up since this Shopgoodwill.com BS opened.
    Last edited by norkusa; 12-16-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    Don't get too mad. These shopgoodwill.com auctions almost always end higher than what the Ebay auctions end at, so you're really not missing out.

I just feel sorry for the collectors in Iowa City that are missing out on great finds because they're local Goodwill stores sell all the good stuff online. The Goodwill stores around here have almost all completely dried up since this Shopgoodwill.com BS opened.

I was going to say the same thing.

When I have stuff to donate, I take it to a local thrift run by a church. They sell everything very cheap, and it seems that everything goes back into the community.

I'm no fan of Goodwill taking their best stuff and putting it up for the highest bidder, to me it goes against the idea of a "thrift" store, but I'm sure they have some disclaimer somewhere that says they can do whatever they want, so whatever. I'll just choose to go elsewhere.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

sorry, but whats the rarity here? flinstones? (not a nes collector)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by StakeRaiser View Post

I'm no fan of Goodwill taking their best stuff and putting it up for the highest bidder, to me it goes against the idea of a "thrift" store, but I'm sure they have some disclaimer somewhere that says they can do whatever they want, so whatever. I'll just choose to go elsewhere.
    idea of thrift? lol. its a charity, the more they get the more they can help. more power to them, i say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    idea of thrift? lol. its a charity, the more they get the more they can help. more power to them, i say.
    Yea, I don't get too cocksore over them putting their best stuff up where it'll pull in more money for the charity. Good on 'em for whoever realized that they were damn near throwing away money.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

yeah flintstones 2 is one of the hardest nes games to find, and might well be one of the top 3 hardest games to find boxed/complete (it was a rental exclusive) I've never seen a boxed copy not totally marred by stickers and whatnot.

which rmakes me wonder, does anyone have a sealed copy?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/game.cmf?gameid=6667

It's true that the money Goodwill gets from their thrift stores is used for charitable purposes, mostly to help train people so they become more employable(and other services are available too).

Not all thrift stores are like that though, at least not Value Village. They buy items in bulk from actual charities, and sell it off at a profit. That's how they help charities, by buying stuff from them to resell. Some of the stuff they have for sale are garbage, like teflon pans with the teflon almost completely gone or broken electronics that they didn't bother to test(I've thrown out stuff in better condition, nobody should have to pay to get that stuff)

Personally, I feel the purposes of thrift stores should be a way to have things available to people who can't afford to pay the full price(I'm not just speaking about games but everything in general). Everything has doubled in price since I've started going there a few years ago, even VHS tapes have gone up even though people are switching to DVD, they now have 3 giant bookcases stacked full of VHS tapes(some shelves two rows deep) that rarely sell when they started with 3 small wire racks(each a single shelf) a few years ago. Books have gone up in price too. I'm starting to find some games cheaper at a Microplay then at the thrift store, at least some Genesis and N64 games.

There's a local non-profit thrift store near me, it's the only place I ever bring donations. They actually sell things at a very good price(especially books, they even have a "free" bin out front rather than throwing out what doesn't sell quickly), and they're very friendly and thankful for donations(I've never found actual video games there, but other stuff related to them). They actually make sure everything is working before they sell it, and everything has to be in good condition. The last time I donated anything anywhere else the workers acted like it was a chore to have to deal with it, I'm sorry I'm giving you stuff for free(it won't happen again).

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Moved to Everything eBay

**shimmah**
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can all you want to, but I live in a place where there are a lot of people that buy secondhand from stores like this. Our goodwill stores in the area many years ago would sell many decent items. Not just clothes, but electronics, household appliances, etc. Our community could use the help.

But now the store sends some "nicer" items away, as I've been told by an employee I know that used to work there. There is evidence of that in the store as well. There was always a ton of items donated in the late spring when the rich private school college kids dump everything they don't want and go back home to get new from their parents every year, and the shelves were usually full at that time. Not this year.

I don't go there for games, I have most of the collection I want. I stop in just to waste time once in a while. I'm not whining that I can't my SUPER RARE OMG games there anymore.

But I have talked to people that don't shop there anymore, because the get better deals finding stuff for their family at the other 2 thrifts in town. Their prices have raised a lot as well.

Goodwill may help people, but there are always higher ups that get paid, so there is a bottom line. Management isn't free. It's their business and they can do whatever they want, but if the place doesn't serve the community like it should, its nothing to at. People will just go elsewhere, its not just about finding a Surprise at Dinosaur Peak to resell .

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

holy crap some one got a good ass deal on that right there.

ending bid was $186.29

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I wonder if he's thinking, "Why did someone pay so much for these games?"

Pretty much everything goes on sale in stores at my local Goodwills, considering there's four within a ten/fifteen mile radius.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's about the going rate for Flintstones 2 + a bunch of random common carts.

GW's prices have been slowly climbing for years now, most of the games here are $5-10 when you see them in the display, electronics and other stuff is pretty expensive too seeing as they sold mostly "as is" and are ancient (70's/80's) TVs, receivers, and tape players you probably couldn't give away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    GW's prices have been slowly climbing for years now, most of the games here are $5-10 when you see them in the display
    Yeah, the GWs in my area are so bad, I rarely stop, even though there are two right near my house and job. They've had the exact same copies of worthless Genesis sports games for $5 and Risk/Monopoly for the Mac for years now. It doesn't help that video games are never eligible for the store's frequent 25-50% off everything sales either.