Thread: What surround sound setting for the PS3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What surround sound setting for the PS3?

Ok, I know to set the PS3 to PCM, but what setting do I want for movies and games on the surround?

My options are:

DTS decoder
    DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
    DTS Neo:6
    DTS-ES Matrix 6.1
    Dolby Pro Logic II
    Dolby Digital
    DTS 96/24
    Dolby Digital Surround EX
    Dolby Pro Logic IIx.XM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It depends on the amp you're using as well as the audio connection type (RCA stereo, optical, or HDMI).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm using HDMI to my TV and optical from the TV to my receiver. I don't have HDMI on my receiver... if I did this would be way easier.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

piping the opticable directly from the ps3 to the receiver would be a better choice; no lag introduced by the tv's sound processing.

that's why i don't like hdmi. seperate audio and video cables are a must.

as far as the receiver settings, the receiver should be able to detect the format of the incoming signal and automatically switch it up to work best with your speaker configuration.

if you have to manually choose, go with dolby digital. it'll give you the least headaches and will work with anything the playstation can fling at it. several of the decoders you listed are meant for less-than-5.1 sources or just aren't used much by games or movies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

your receiver should have a button for A.F.D Auto (Auto Format Decode). Go with that, as it will tell your a/v unit to just use whatever format is being output by the PS3, since it will most likely vary depending on weather your playing a game, watching a DVD or Blu-Ray, that way you won't have to switch sound settings.

Also, I would run the optical directly to the receiver and just get in the habit or turning the tv volume down when using the PS3. I don't know what kind of TV you have, but it may interfere with the signal that the receiver gets because you're using the tv as a pass though. i.e. if your tv isn't capable of outputting a digital signal, it doesn't matter what you have anything set to because the tv will downmix whatever it gets from the PS3 before sending it to the amp.
    Last edited by slip81; 12-17-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a new 50" Panasonic plasma.

HDMI carries a much higher bitrate than optical... I really should pick up a receiver with HDMI switching.

Far as lag I don't believe there is any.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you should be fine with optical, the bitrate really doesn't matter since you're not dealing with HD sound I'm guessing because the amp lack HDMI. but I would still try hooking the optical directly into the amp and see if you notice a difference, there would be sound lag though in such a situation (when watching Blu-Rays and possibly playing PS3 games) if you have the tv volume turned up, as the tv would be getting the audio just slightly before the receiver. It wouldn't cause any synch issues when watching movies, but you would notice a slight reverse echo effect with dialogue (it actually sounds a lot like the effect they used on bill & ted's voices in Bogus Journey when they're in the afterlife oddly enough).

I know this happens because when I first got my HD-DVD player, I had an older amp w/o HDMI, so I had the HDMI go directly to the tv for video, and then optical to the amp for audio, and this effect drove me nuts for like 20 minutes before I figured out, duh, HDMI is faster than optical.

though with such a new tv, it's most likely capable out outputting a digital signal, so you should be fine using it as a pass through, I'm just the type that likes direct connections, so I know the amp is getting exatly what I tell the dvd player to give it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    I'm using HDMI to my TV and optical from the TV to my receiver. I don't have HDMI on my receiver... if I did this would be way easier.
    I have the same set-up. But I'm hoping to get a better one soon.
    Why So Serious?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rylin Sakai
    PSN
    RSakai

My current setup is the PS3's video through component, and the audio through HDMI. Both are run into the receiver, then out to the speakers and projector. Wanna talk about some delay in audio/video? hehe, Even a test like the one in the Digital video essentials blu-ray has me stumped on where it is (like I could afford an ISF guy to come out .

Anyway, like everyone was saying, if at all possible, run the optical directly into the receiver. When setting up the PS3 audio out, you get what, DD5.1, DTS5.1, and LPCM 2ch (44.1/48khz I think?) over optical?

For games, just let your receiver do it's thing, it should pop over to whatever audio it gets.

Movies wise, same deal here, select your audio in the menus and it should switch to whatever mode. This Onkyo 605 is pretty good at picking up the DTS-ES and DD5.1ex. I had a Sony model a year or two ago that had to be forced over to the 6.1/7.1 modes. So, if you only have a 5.1 setup, the modes like dts-es, dd5.1ex, etc, are useless.

The others, like neo6, prologic, etc, are all for simulated surround, which is useful for 2channel sources that you want to have the receiver try and make a surround sound out of (Music, stupid psn titles that only do 2ch lpcm, etc). They're all kinda "to taste", just play around and find the one you like.

Where the HDMI is awesome, is the 7.1 modes for games
    Being able to fire a rocket in Warhawk and spin the camera and hear the thing pan around the entire room smoothly is one hell of an experience. This game at the 75db made me jump off my damn couch the moment a tank shot a nemesis down next to me

As far as I know, you can only get the 7.1 stuffs through hdmi, and along with that, the Dolby HD and the DTS master audio on blu-rays (and the 6.1 on older stuffs). I've got a set of Vandersteens that are near full range and it sounds damn good, either mode.

There you go man, hope that made sense
    This home theater stuff makes money go fast when you start getting amped about it, lol

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Optical in inferior compared to HDMI.
    If you want to have the max sound quality you will need to use hdmi.

If Wikipedia can be trusted ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK ) it says that current bandwidth is 125 Mbps which is nowhere near a challenge for a fibre link, but is still pretty respectable. However, HDMI is way more capable than that, according to this site (http://www.hiddenwires.co.uk/resourc...051201-02.html ) HDMI v1.2 is spec'ed for 1.824Gb/s for audio... that's more than 14 times what the TOSLINK cable is spec'ed for.

Not to insult any one here but to ask specs on the new technology on a forum catered to classic gaming would not be my 1st place to post this type of question

And yes there is a noticeable difference in quality that can be heard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How you want to hook up your PS3 will vary quite a bit depending on your set up. Receiver, speakers, settings, room size, etc. There is some good and bad info in this thread.

If I were you, I'd head over to www.avsforums.com and use their search function. I'd type in:

"PS3 settings. then your receivers model number." Sometime I'll use set up instead of settings. So I have a Yamaha RX-V663. I just type in PS3 settings V663.

You can also check out different tweaks you can use for your receiver and speakers, as well as your tv. There is a lot of good info in there if you are willing to take the time.

I should know. I just upgraded my front speakers and my receiver. I've spent the past couple days getting my set up straight. I have finally found the sweet spots I think.

Pays off in the end.

If you want to get the most out of your set up, an upgrade to an HDMI receiver would be a good investment. If you go that route, make sure and research the receiver and make sure it does what you want it to do. Any good receiver should handle the HDMI delay, if there is one, or allow you to manually set the delay.

EDIT: Just wanted to make sure and say that I don't live and die by AVS settings. I just like to use them as a starting point and work my way to what sounds/looks good to me. That's all that really matters. Picking up info or settings I didn't know about is just a bonus.
    Last edited by spoon; 12-19-2008 at 11:49 PM.