Thread: Sega CD Model 1....I need help!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega CD Model 1....I need help!

I recently took apart my Model 1 Sega Cd in an attempt to see if the guy who did the zip tie trick would work for me. I tested the system out and exactly how he stated in his video seemed to be the same issue with mine. In the process i took the tray out like he instructed and did what i had to do. Now i can't get the tray calibrated correctly in that i can't set it the way it was. I tried contacting him but he won't reply to me. Also it should be noted I little plastic piece in the shape of the ltter t brkoe off somewhere but i can't seem to locat where exactly. Not only that but the piece doesn't show signs of a break or anything. Any help is appreciated to bring my Sega Cd back to life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddGTV6y8MOg
    the zip tie trick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Getting that timing gear right can definitely be tricky, what he says about being even 1 tooth off is correct. It's a lot easier if you adjust the entire mechanism so that it's in a closed state, then replace the gear so the closed limit switch is active. If you then reinsert the drawer & pull it up & away from it's tracks a little, you can slide it all the way closed without it touching that gear.

The other problem is that the motor drive belt that moves the whole assembly is probably due for a replacement. I don't have a replacement part number, but you can cheat time a bit by putting a small o-ring on the motor pulley, which takes a little slack out of the belt & helps it grab the belt better (being rubber on rubber instead of rubber on nylon). That little motor has to do too many things at once & if it's belt loses traction it can't fully close the drive assembly & will reopen after a few seconds, even if the timing & drawer gear is in the right place.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so close it so as if the drawer was closed and try to slide it in without catching the gears?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's been a few years since I've fixed one up, but I do recall being able to do this. You certainly don't want to force it, tho. I can't recall how the tracks that the tray glides on are - I may have loosened or removed one side to help but I don't think I did.

The alternative is, set everything so it's in the open state - tray down, timing gear activating the drawer open limit switch. Then reinsert the tray & tweak from there. I recall there being a bit less precision with this method but it should still work - you just might have to try it a few different times with the drawer gear in slightly different positions.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here is an update and another problem i ran into. i tried a handful of times to get the tray in the system without it catching to no avail i would get so close and the tray would just start to slide and come off the thing. so on the like 15 time this happened i got an idea since the tray was in but sliding because it didn't catch the gears right i put the tray in as far as it would go and manual raised the lens in the off position. this seemed to work. key word seemed. i tested it out and now i am having issues with the tray being ejected and going back in. it makes the noise for the tray to eject but it doesn't. if i pull on it just a little bit the tray does come out and goes back in without a problem. its just that inital reject that it gets caught up on something. can someone help me out now with this new issue?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are definitely bringing back memories of the first time I poked around a Sega CD

I think I'm out of advice, simply "don't give up". Think about it from the standpoint of the assembly line where they were produced: What order would things go together, and how would a machine have to put it together?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i don't know what would cause the try to not want to come out. like i said if i "help" it by giving it a gentle tug it opens up and closes. i have no clue.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i also noticed that sometimes when tray does eject the cd is kinda trown into the tray spinning. anyone please help.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just an update. i gave up trying to figure out why the tray would act up liek it is and put the system back together. it get around 50 percent open rate. i just hope nothign damages the games.