Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite Dreamcast Moments/Memories.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I have many of these. Here they are in chronological order, as best as I can remember.

1.) Renting a Japanese DC and Sonic Adventure months before release. The graphics were amazing, and the game was too. This had me really excited for the DC's release.

2.) Going with my father to pick up the Dreamcast at Midnight 9.9.99, my first and only "midnight launch." I have since vowed to not attend any other midnight launches unless Sega reenters the hardware market.

3.) Finishing Sonic Adventure and playing as Super Sonic. I also enjoyed countless hours of Soul Calibur and Hydro Thunder. The US DC launch title lineup never ceases to amaze me.

4.) Signing up with AT&T to get my DC online and free keyboard. I think I cancelled after a month or so, as there wasn't much to do online with the DC only a month after release. That keyboard would come in handy later.

5.) Waiting forever for Rainbow Six to come out. I had this on pre-order for a while and I just remember it took forever to finally get released. I was disappointed with the game too. It was over my head; I blame part of that on the hard control scheme. This isn't necessarily a fond memory, but one that definitely stands out.

6.) ODCM (Official Dreamcast Magazine) - This magazine I thoroughly enjoyed, and probably the only one I would ever read cover to cover. Not only was the content in the magazine good, but the included demo discs were great as well. After they closed up, my subscription transfered to Next Gen. After Next Gen closed up, my subcription transferred to PSM. PSM was terrible.

7.) Snow days playing Dreamcast in the basement. Worms Armageddon and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater stand out as titles I would play. Tony Hawk was just amazing when it came out - especially on the Dreamcast.

8.) Phantasy Star Online. If you were around to experience this when it was new, you know exactly what I am talking about. If you weren't, you missed out on an amazing experience. It was a very different experience than online PC gaming, or Xbox Live. I can't say what exactly it was, but there was something surreal about it. I put hundreds of hours into this.

9.) 4-player dreamcast games. Rush 2049, Worms Armageddon/Worms World Party and Virtua Tennis were some of the most played.

10.) Playing Dreamcast with my younger sister. We never had too much in common, but she did enjoy playing games with me from time to time. This is my favorite memory of them all. I remember playing Mars Matrix, Rush 2049 and 102 Dalmations with her. There were more, but I can't think of them right now.

11.) Getting Sonic Adventure 2 the day it came out and finishing it within 24 hours.

12.) Buying a second Dreamcast system, just so I could get the Sega Smash Pack.

13.) Hunting for games while the DC was dying. I was always on the look out for good deals on good games, and dirt cheap crappy games. Highlights include $15 for Canon Spike, $10 for Bangai-O, $15 for Gigawing 2, $5 for the Resident Evil games, $2 VGA Box, 2x $5 Top Max arcade sticks with Fighting Force 2 (both arcade sticks were faulty). Seeing the DC go was sad, but it did let me get many more games. Playing games on the VGA box was somewhat of a hassle, but it looked amazing.

14.) Getting Alien Front Online and Grandia II from my sister for my birthday. This happened after the DC was pretty much dead, and prices had fell quite a bit but not much was left. I gave her a list of what I already had, and she managed find two good games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is making me jealous. Shenmue's been mentioned many times, and I've yet to play it. I've got the game discs and they're in good condition, but for some reason they consistently crash my DC. I can't play for more than 5 minutes without it freezing. The discs look fine and the DC doesn't crash with any other games.

I'm jealous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im going to add another Shenmue memory.

It was one of the first games I got. I played Shenmue 5-6 hours straight with no VMU. I was dead tired so my dad ran out and bought a VMU memory unti so I could save the game and goto bed!

The memories of getting lost in the world that Shenmue created. Doing the forklift job, running around town talking to people in the shops... It was one of the best experiences playing a game I have ever had.

Additional DC memories include playing Code Veronica the first time. Excellent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beating Blue Stinger and finishing Bass Fishing on the same day. Also telling my mother I was thinking of purchasing Seaman at the mall. Hehehe.

Insert Coin (Level 0) punkrockdave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finally figuring out what to do in L.O.L:lack of love, also finishing E.G.G (one of the best ARPG's ever IMO)

Insert Coin (Level 0) boogiecat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    boogiemeow

When i plugged my Dreamcast on a wrong outlet,it was cooked but believe it or not its still working!! That's how reliable the Dreamcast IMHO!!
    .................................................. ......................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

I have 2, actually.

Right after I got my Dreamcast I got Sonic Adventure back in 99'. I immediately rushed home and got my sister and we hammered through the entire game in one night. So much fun

My second one is trying to show my grandpa how to play Sega Bass Fishing. Funny is an understatement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

One that stands out is when I bought the DC I was able to get Crazy Taxi price matched and I saved around $30 on it, the guy working was pretty pissed that he had to honour it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I'm not a huge DC fan and only got a console after it was dead. My favorite memory of it was when I played Mars Matrix so much, I was the only one who found a copy so it was a popular title with my friends.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Memories:

1. Being blown away by NFL 2K, which positively destroyed Madden and made my brother get his own Dreamcast
    2. Watching the VMU in Virtua Tennis display the game from the TV in wireframe on the VMU screen
    3. Playing my first games with the VGA box (Headhunter and Rez UK imports) and being blown away
    4. Wishing for a second analog stick nearly every day
    5. Hearing ToeJam & Earl III had been moved to the Xbox after being in development for Dreamcast
    6. Buying my local GameStop's only copy of NHL 2K2 (last U.S. title) on release day for posterity.
    7. NesterDC
    DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Funny this thread bumped up, as just last night I hooked up my Dreamcast for the first time in a long time. I somehow got the thing working in RGB about a two years ago but haven't had it hooked up since. Last night I got it out again and of course, the first thing I did was stick in Shenmue (European Import version) I too have always intended to finish the game a second time and transfer all the toys to the european published sequel (which I bought about six years ago for waaay too much money).

Anyway, add me to the Shenmue chorus. I still love it. Still get that tingly "existing elsewhere for a little while" feeling. I'm actually going to play through as slowly as I can and try to get every damn little toy, raise a healthy kitty, and, of course, um, oh yeah, avenge my father.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Although I only played the DC a few times, when it was already a dead console, I do have good memories of playing Crazy Taxy 2 with the wife and my brother-in-law all afternoon. I would also kick his ass really good on SF Alpha 3 or 3rd Strike everytime we went visiting.

I don't get to have that kind of fun times anymore, since we moved from our hometown, and live really far away from our families now. The guy no longer has the console, anyway. I guess growing up just sucks...
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favourite DC memory is playing the hell out of Capcom vs SNK 2 and Chu Chu Rocket.

Insert Coin (Level 0) boogiecat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    boogiemeow

Actually my burnt Dreamcast is already dead but i've replaced it later with a used one!!

I admit i've spend hundreds of hours playing Marvel Vs Capcom and Sega Bass Fishing(using the special controller included in the game which is great!).. For me that's one of the best gaming experiences in my life!!
    .................................................. ......................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

1. The 2k series. It'll always be better than Madden, and I hope the rumor is true that they don't renew the Madden/EA contract.

2. House of the Dead 2. My brother and I would ALWAYS play this amazing game together. We would laugh at the awful voice acting and proceed to beat the game multiple times.

3. Power Stone 2. I loved this game, my friends and I played this as opposed to Super Smash Bros.

4. Marvel vs. Capcom. Not a great fighting game in terms of mechanics and such, but I still loved playing it. Especially since you could be Mega Man.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Running away from the orca in Sonic Adventure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by alexander4488 View Post
    Running away from the orca in Sonic Adventure.
    That is probably the most memorable symbol of the Dreamcast's launch.
    DERP

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Scurrying around town to buy one on 9.9.99.

Playing the hell out of Soul Calibur and Hydro Thunder in the middle of a hurricane soon afterwards.

The immense number of quality games coming out EVERY WEEK before the PS2 hit.

Playing Chu Chu Rocket over 56K at all hours of the night so I didn't tie up my phone line.

CRAZY TAXI.

Buying imports of F355 Challenge, Shuotoku Battle 2, Jet Set Radio, etc. to get them first.

Foolishly selling it after I stood in line for a PS2.

Buying a brand new one last week on Amazon and re-building my collection, plus the later stuff I missed like Daytona, Bangai-O, etc.

After playing through a bunch of stuff this week, I've really come to the conclusion that the DC was, at least for those of us who have been playing games since the Atari days, gaming's last stand. The death of skill-based gaming from the PS2->on had kind of killed video games for me.

I've owned every console since except the Wii, and except for a few games I bought for nostalgia's sake (Ready 2 Rumble, etc.) it all holds up amazingly well. I was worried that shelling out the bucks to buy this stuff again I'd be disappointed due to viewing that era through rose tinted glasses, but except for obvious control niggles in certain games after getting used to dual analog, all the games pretty much still rule.

I also didn't realize how awesome JGR was compared to Jet Set Radio Future, only having played the Japanese version of the original, so a lot of the finer points of scoring were lost on me. Why they took out the scoring in the sequel is beyond me.
    Last edited by dethink; 06-14-2009 at 09:32 PM.
    great people to do business with - D-Lite, max330mega, The Collector, Jimmy Yakapucci

neo-geo.com - vwlunatic, BIG BEAR, neogeofl, pixeljunkie, japangamesnow.com, OmegaSaber

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Well, 9-9-09 will be upon us shortly (the 10 year reunion). I for one will be playing some Dreamcast that day! Who's with me??

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxstnj View Post
    Well, 9-9-09 will be upon us shortly (the 10 year reunion). I for one will be playing some Dreamcast that day! Who's with me??
    Count me in.
    great people to do business with - D-Lite, max330mega, The Collector, Jimmy Yakapucci

neo-geo.com - vwlunatic, BIG BEAR, neogeofl, pixeljunkie, japangamesnow.com, OmegaSaber