Thread: Anyone have any personal experiences with keyboard/mouse adaptors for the 360?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone have any personal experiences with keyboard/mouse adaptors for the 360?

I honestly tried. I spent around 8 hours today trying to play a FPS on the 360 with standard controller and just hate it. Every hour on the hour I kept thinking to myself, "I'll keep an open mind but I feel like I'm using the wrong tool for the job." Oh yes, it's bad when when you consider playing a game a JOB.

There are several keyboard/mouse adapters on the market with the xfps 360 sniper 3.0 being the latest.

Have any of you given these adapters a try? Even if there is a bit of lag I feel like they would improve my game ten fold.
    Robot, fight like a chicken!

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

it just takes practice. believe me. my first encounter with an analog stick was halfway through the ps2 generation. and i was invariably horrible at first. i spent most of my time looking at the ceiling or the floor, and hardly hit a damn thing. i think the biggest hurdle for pc gamers to get over when switching to a pad is refraining from just slamming the analog stick all the way to the edge, like pushing a button. the sticks are much more sensitive.

with time, i trained my thumbs to make smaller, more precise movements and that really helped. now i (mostly) hold my own against my halo-trained buddies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never used one but I've heard the XFPS 3.0 works great. I was looking into buying one to use with my cobalt flux pad in DDR Universe and the reviews were all good.

The first couple XFPS's got pretty bad reviews but I guess they worked out most of those problems with the 3.0. My only problem is that it's too expensive ($90) and that you still need a wired 360 controller to hook it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't tried any for 360, but if you want to stick it out with the standard controller for a bit, the only piece of advice I can give you is to not try and play the game the same way you would with a kb&m. The left stick gives you finer control with movement than a keyboard does, and you need to take advantage of it as an aiming tool, especially when sniping.
    If you just try to aim with the left stick, you'll find it too unwieldy, but if you learn to coordinate both sticks to aim, you'll eventually get the hang of it.
    It'll never be as accurate as a mouse, but with the amount of aim assist in most console fps, it really doesn't need to be.
    Last edited by kedawa; 12-21-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i wholeheartedly agree, and i have to say you'll never feel the same w/ the controller as you will with kb&m and never be as good. i too find playing FPSs on consoles a complete chore and it ruins the fun for me completely.

i actually brought up this topic earlier, in this thread

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125654

you should check it out.

also, please let me/us know if you get the xfps 3.0 how it works. if it is seemeless i will most certainly invest in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was watching some videos on youtube of people using the sniper 3.0 model, and it appeared to be working really well. didn't seem to be any lag, though some users say it's a bit too slow, and the sensitivity can't be adjusted, but apparently you can work around that by getting a mouse with built in sensitivity controls, also I've been reading that failing that, older mice work better than newer ones.

I may just end up getting one of thse after Christmas just to improve my Left 4 Dead game, because controllers, while they're not that bad, make it very difficult (for me at least) to accureately movie around backward and shoot, and that's definitely a game that requires a lot of quickly backing out of places, especially on expert.