Thread: What's a CyberMaxx VR helmet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default What's a CyberMaxx VR helmet?

I have access to one for $50 boxed. Should I get it, what is it (any info would help, like year, original price, for what system, and how many games were made for it), and what's its rarity level?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm not sure if it's the same as a Stuntmaster VR helmet, but if it is, $50 is way too much to pay for it. Most of these VR helmets came out around the same time period, which means that they all suck. I've got two Stuntmasters (luckily I bought both of mine for $2 each!), and it's like playing a game with a Sega Game Gear screen a couple of inches away from your eyes. And there's one screen in it, not two for stereoscopic vision like a good VR helmet should have. Plus, LCD screens from that time period weren't all that great when it came to refresh rates (hence the Game Gear analogy) so fast on-screen movement turned into a blurry mess. I don't know what the head tracking's like with the CyberMaxx, but the Stuntmaster's is almost non-existent because of it's lame implementation.

I remember seeing CyberMaxx helmets on clearance at an electronics store back in the day when people were figuring out that virtual reality wasn't what it was cracked up to be. Even then, the PC version of the CyberMaxx was something like $200 to $300. I can't imagine paying that much for one of those things now. They do make a sweet little collectible, though. A throwback to a time when our imaginations overshadowed our ability to make the technology work like it did in science fiction books and movies.

I've got another VR helmet, a Philips Scuba headset (which is the model the Atari Jaguar VR helmet was based on), but it didn't come with a power supply and I can't find any accurate info online about it's energy requirements. Luckily, I paid less than ten bucks for it. Who said you can't find good stuff in thrift stores anymore?

Strawberry (Level 2) Nitrosport's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The cybermaxx was made by the same people as the stuntmaster. It's actually much rarer than the stuntmaster. The headset is also much more advanced. I believe it uses 2 lcd screens and has head tracking. I've seen them sell on e-bay for over $50 and closer to $100 without the box. If you enjoy collecting obscure items, I'd say make him an offer. If you end up not wanting it, contact me and I'll buy it.
    Last edited by Nitrosport; 12-23-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrosport View Post
    The cybermaxx was made by the same people as the stuntmaster. It's actually much rarer than the stuntmaster. The headset is also much more advanced. I believe it uses 2 lcd screens and has head tracking.
    Yes, I think It uses magnetic sensors for head tracking sensing the earths gravitational feild. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it's gotta be better than Stuntmasters "head tracking"...which was sensing a pole that attached to your shoulder.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The most interesting thing about the Stuntmaster helmet was that the SNES video plug was the same for the N64 and GameCube.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'm so upset. He just sold everything in this picture for $50. My Christmas is ruined.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Hey, I had that Ghost Busters game growing up. I havn't seen it in years. Was someone really trying to sell it for $10 though?

Sorry you missed out on all the stuff.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, the helmet was the only highlight in that lot. Most of that stuff can be picked up fairly easy, with the exception of the Ghostbusters handheld. Maybe the exact Pong units would be hard to find again, but there were so many types of Pongs on the market then (with pretty much the same games on every single one) it's easy to locate more. Shoot, I come across them nowadays around once every four or five months. I've had to stop collecting them, since I have too many.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Hey, I had that Ghost Busters game growing up. I havn't seen it in years. Was someone really trying to sell it for $10 though?

Sorry you missed out on all the stuff.
    No, the entire lot sold for $50.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    VR headsets would let you bang a virtual Alicia Silverstone? It's amazing the technology didn't take off! Seems like a killer app!

I can't believe how big the helmet is in that video. The Stuntmaster was incredibly difficult to use because it put so much weight on your nose. I bet that video's helmet would practically take the guy's nose right off!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I bet that video's helmet would practically take the guy's nose right off!
    That guy, come on, everyone knows that's 90s heartthrob Jason London. I mean haven't you ever seen Mallrats or Out Cold. I bet you even had his poster up on your wall at some point.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    I'm so upset. He just sold everything in this picture for $50. My Christmas is ruined.

I've got a bunch of copies of Cyborgirl and some other Epic Megagames games, still sealed (possibly not factory, idk how to tell) if anyone is interested. No helmet though, sorry!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post

damn...nfl fever 2003 when will the chance come up to ever pick that one up again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atm55 View Post
    I've got a bunch of copies of Cyborgirl and some other Epic Megagames games, still sealed (possibly not factory, idk how to tell) if anyone is interested. No helmet though, sorry!
    Was Cybergirl for the helmet?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No it was just an old DOS game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Nah, you can find copies of Cyborgirl in pretty much any thrift store that has old software. Common as dirt.