Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Spots on disc game

A while back I got a ton of games at the flea market - one of them was We Love Katamari. The game plays fine, but it doesn't have music on some stages (or the music just ends at random).

After inspecting the disc, I noticed it had something like water spots on it. I'm not sure how to clean these up; I'm afraid of using alcohol because the disc may warp or something. And tapwater... well, it's not exactly safe for any sort of usage.

What can I do to get these cleaned up? Any suggestions? Are there any special wipes I can buy somewhere that won't scratch the disc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool

i always glass & lens cleaner........always worked for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you hold the disc up to a light source, can you see through the disc more at the place where the spot is? If so, you've got bit rot. Cannot be rectified.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

It's NOT disc rot. It's water-like specks on the disc surface, the same kind that show up if you throw water at a window and it dries up leaving some sort of mark, like dirt or somesuch.

I've dealt with disc rot before (in PC games and music CDs), and this isn't it.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

this has been discussed in a lot of detail on this website already. search for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I guess my search-fu is weak, because I can't find much of anything on the subject.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    It's NOT disc rot. It's water-like specks on the disc surface, the same kind that show up if you throw water at a window and it dries up leaving some sort of mark, like dirt or somesuch.

I've dealt with disc rot before (in PC games and music CDs), and this isn't it.
    I was just makin sure ;-)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with just washing it under the sink. Luke-warm water, just don't use soap. Dry with a soft towel.

Potential problem though, whatever left the mark may have been corrosive (soda, etc) and the spot may have etched into the plastic. Doesn't take much to throw off the laser.
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 12-23-2008 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it look like spots on the top of the disc, or like oil sitting in water between the layers? I only ask because I have received a few discs like that before.

From what I could tell, it was a bad pressing. Probably not your problem. Just figured I'd throw it out there.

I've ran into the problem I think you are experiencing. It looks like someone sprayed hair spray near the disc and it's just fused on there. I usually use this stuff we had at my previous employer called Hi-Sheen with a lint free cloth. It is an industrial strength glass cleaner/de-greaser.

If that doesn't work, I'd see if you have any shops locally that actually have a good CD resurfacing machine. The expensive kind, not some cheap ass Disc Doctor shit that leaves marks. A good cleaner can take off light scratches and such without leaving much, if any, evidence of being clean.

Usually only a couple of bucks too. Just don't do DC games. usually ruins them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Honestly, there's nothing wrong with just washing it under the sink. Luke-warm water, just don't use soap. Dry with a soft towel.

Potential problem though, whatever left the mark may have been corrosive (soda, etc) and the spot may have etched into the plastic. Doesn't take much to throw off the laser.
    You keep forgetting where I live. You know, while in Mexico, don't drink the water?

Quote Originally Posted by spoon View Post
    Does it look like spots on the top of the disc, or like oil sitting in water between the layers? I only ask because I have received a few discs like that before.

From what I could tell, it was a bad pressing. Probably not your problem. Just figured I'd throw it out there.

I've ran into the problem I think you are experiencing. It looks like someone sprayed hair spray near the disc and it's just fused on there. I usually use this stuff we had at my previous employer called Hi-Sheen with a lint free cloth. It is an industrial strength glass cleaner/de-greaser.

If that doesn't work, I'd see if you have any shops locally that actually have a good CD resurfacing machine. The expensive kind, not some cheap ass Disc Doctor shit that leaves marks. A good cleaner can take off light scratches and such without leaving much, if any, evidence of being clean.

Usually only a couple of bucks too. Just don't do DC games. usually ruins them.
    Nah, this doesn't look corrosive or anything. Like I said, it looks like dried up water spots. The disc already has a few light scratches, and I'm afraid of adding a few more so I'm asking around to see what I can do -before- attempting to clean it.

I'll see if I can find a lint free cloth and some lens cleaning liquid. Thanks.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Terminusvitae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Aoif3edieqwdf

I deal with this sort of thing all the time at my store. Generally, it's nothing a little glass cleaner and elbow grease won't fix--just don't wipe in a circular motion!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Guess what?

The friggin' glass cleaning liquid... uh. Left a film on the disc, and now my PS2 can't read the disc anymore. GEE THAT'S AWESOME. Now I have to get it polished. >_<

Pac-Man (Level 10) Terminusvitae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Aoif3edieqwdf

*arches an eyebrow*

Some glass cleaners CAN leave a film, but I've never had the trouble of a player (or console) being unable to read the disc. Of course, I just use Dollar General's brand of glass cleaner, so that may have something to do with it.

The fix is easy enough if you don't want to shell out the money to have the disc resurfaced/polished/buffed. Just a bit of water a soft cloth should do the trick. If it doesn't, I might suggest not drinking the glass cleaner, either!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Wal-Mart's generic glass cleaner sucks. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sucks dude. Sorry. The stuff I use is industrial strength and comes out as a foam. If we ever do a trade, I'll send you a bottle. Guess it's time to get it buffed out.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

some glass cleaners have amonia, that's why i said tap water...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the stuff I use doesn't have ammonia in it either. That's one of the reasons I love the stuff. I thought I put that in my first post. I meant to.