Thread: classic gaming vs modern gaming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Well, my wife & I own a Wii, 360, and 2 DS systems and I have to say that the future of gaming is dead to me
    I'm the opposite. My friends and I have been playing the Wii more than classic games. Wii Sports, Zack & Wiki, Mario Kart Wii, Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection, Dr. Mario Online Rx, and World of Goo are fantastic.

Of course, there's Super Mario Galaxy, de Blob, Boom Blox, Pro Evolution Soccer, Call of Duty: World at War, Rock Band 2, and plenty of other fun games, too!

The best part is, many great Wii games cost under $35 at release (including WiiWare).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Monkeyfracker

I loves my Wii, but to be honest if you are willing to pay that kind of money for a single game, go for it. the Wii doesn't see as much play as any of my other systems, and if you have one everyon you know will force you to play wii tennis all the time. Fate worse than death man.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Well if you really want to complete your collection blow the 150 and you'll still have 100 left over to put towards the wii later. The wii is pretty cool and there is plenty to play on it to justify a purchase. I owned one for six months before selling and would like another one now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

I'm as oldschool as they come as far as gaming goes, I just recently within the past couple weeks, FINALLY stepped into the current generation. I got a VERY good deal on a 360 that I couldnt pass up. I borrowed a bunch of games from friends. I started up Lost Planet, Gears of War, Halo 3, and Call of Duty 4.
    I have to say I'm BLOWN AWAY. CoD 4 is such a beautiful game. Even without HD its a treat for the eyeballs. Gears of War is NASTY. My girlfriend cant take all the screaming and growling but even she admits it looks awsome. Lost Planet I think I can pass on, its good, but there is better stuff to play. And Halo 3 I'm saving until I get set up with live.

When I set up the 360, I had to abandon Ico and Psychonauts. SHAMEFUL I know, but I still play the DS before bed, and usually with a GBA game in it.

I"m ready to spend a little more money on my new toy. I really REALLY want to play Street Fighter IV. I'd also like to dig into Fallout 3 or Fable II.

There will still be room for the classics. The PS2 will get hooked up in the bedroom, I'll pick up Ico and Psychonauts again. I'll also be putting in the SNK Classics and Capcom Classics disks I havnt completely played through yet.

As far as having 100+ bucks to spend on new or old stuff? I can't say I'd blow the whole thing on one classic game, especially if I have something similar already. I'd keep the big bucks for either new Gen stuff, or keep on hand for when you stumble across a really good score. Like the Vectrex and 5 games I picked up off craigslist for $40. (Vectorex and games! BEFORE ATARI!!!)
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Well, no one in the family has turned the wii on since June, but I play the 360 for 3-4 hours a day, which is way more than I play older systems.
    I say get a 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by nintendoeats View Post
    I loves my Wii, but to be honest if you are willing to pay that kind of money for a single game, go for it. the Wii doesn't see as much play as any of my other systems, and if you have one everyon you know will force you to play wii tennis all the time. Fate worse than death man.
    Lol, apparently Wii Sports is the only game made according to my friends and relatives. That's all they want to play besides that new Wii Fit thingy (according to the non-gamers, lol).
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I'm the opposite. My friends and I have been playing the Wii more than classic games. Wii Sports, Zack & Wiki, Mario Kart Wii, Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection, Dr. Mario Online Rx, and World of Goo are fantastic.

Of course, there's Super Mario Galaxy, de Blob, Boom Blox, Pro Evolution Soccer, Call of Duty: World at War, Rock Band 2, and plenty of other fun games, too!

The best part is, many great Wii games cost under $35 at release (including WiiWare).
    When you think about, many of the games you mentioned - wii sports, mario kart, pinball, dr. mario, etc are basically updated ports of classic games.

I don't have a modern console. I'm an Atari collector. BUT, if I were to get a modern console, it would be a Wii simply because the type of games that I enjoy playing are on that console and those games remind me of the type of game I played as a child in the 70's and early 80's.

I don't care for FPS, RPG's and the other popular modern games but I enjoy the simpler pick up and play games that you can play with family and friends for short bursts and I think thats why I gravitate to classic games.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm not really sure what the point of this topic is, other than to make more people wonder how you can blow so much money buying classic games sealed only to open them up. :P

I have noticed around here that despite all the collectors of classic games, it seems like people still play their modern games more than anything else, going off of the daily playing topic and what have you. As for myself, it's unusual if I'm playing a game that isn't 10+ years old (even more so if it's a brand new game), and most of my game spending goes to older games as well, both because that's what I predominantly play and because I'm a cheapskate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'm not really sure what the point of this topic is, other than to make more people wonder how you can blow so much money buying classic games sealed only to open them up. :P
    I was just wondering the same thing. You also said you want to spend $150 on a new Lynx. So let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly here: are you buying all of these factory sealed/new games/systems to play or to collect? I collect factory sealed items too so I'm not looking down on you at all. But if I wanted to add Darkstalkers to my collection just to play, I wouldn't be wasting $150 on it. I'd find a nice mint affordable copy and would play that.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 12-24-2008 at 11:45 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got to admit, I haven't bought any of the latest Gen consoles yet (lurves my DS and PSP though!), but if I were to buy one, I'd probably be most tempted by the Wii because of the great selection of classic titles available for download on that system - getting all those old TG16, SNES, NES, Genisis and NeoGeo classics and having them all available to play on one convenient system would be pretty sweet...

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    You also said you want to spend $150 on a new Lynx. So let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly here: are you buying all of these factory sealed/new games/systems to play or to collect? I collect factory sealed items too so I'm not looking down on you at all. But if I wanted to add Darkstalkers to my collection just to play, I wouldn't be wasting $150 on it. I'd find a nice mint affordable copy and would play that.
    Of course, some of us are willing to pay a premium for a new, unopened Lynx just for the privilege of doing this:

Worth every penny! imho...

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Letiumtide View Post
    I don't know, I suppose if it means that much to you to get Darkstalkers, go for it, but if Darkstalkers isn't your series of choice and is merely a random blip in your radar (which it seems to be). I'd wait on it, seriously. Part of what I like about collecting is the thrill of the hunt, going out and seeing what is being released into the wild every day, does it need to be sealed mint? not for me, I want games I can play and enjoy. So mint? yes. sealed? nah.

Is it worth it to you to have something that cost you $150 that is a mere blip in your radar that you could likely get for much cheaper someday? I mean I have see Darkstalkers in the wild, it is really not that uncommon, not $150 uncommon.

I'd say go for the Wii, there is some fun stuff on it to enjoy, and you can enjoy with friends. Darkstalkers your shelf gets to enjoy and you get to know that that checkmark cost you $150, when you'll likely see the game for $4.50 in the timeframe of 2 years.

That's just me though.

I guess I also feel the need to point this out: http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/game.cmf?gameid=27271
    I know loose copies of Darkstalkers aren't rare, but I assume that sealed copies are, so that's why it costs $150 to obtain them... there was one on Amazon for $150 too, but I'm pretty sure it was the same seller on ebay... if it's not, then some longbox PS1 collector is gonna end up getting the one on Amazon, cause I got the Fighter's Edge edition to match my copy of Darkstalkers 3... maybe I should've got the longbox version for that price, but honestly if I could replace the few longbox games I own with regular versions, I would... that's the one thing I hate about the PS1... they should've reissued every longbox game in regular form, not just some of them

Quote Originally Posted by Jimid2 View Post
    I've got to admit, I haven't bought any of the latest Gen consoles yet (lurves my DS and PSP though!), but if I were to buy one, I'd probably be most tempted by the Wii because of the great selection of classic titles available for download on that system - getting all those old TG16, SNES, NES, Genisis and NeoGeo classics and having them all available to play on one convenient system would be pretty sweet...

Of course, some of us are willing to pay a premium for a new, unopened Lynx just for the privilege of doing this:

Worth every penny! imho...
    WORD! now that's what I'm talkin about! my next $150 is going for that!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What does Darkstalkers have that Night Warriors doesn't? If I remember correctly, Night Warriors has an option to play with the original Darkstalkers backgrounds and music, so Darkstalkers only offers different character select screens and artwork, plus a game system with fewer moves (and, in the PSX version, some slowdown).
    Last edited by Kid Fenris; 01-29-2009 at 03:58 AM.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Strangedogs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    ...I'm an Atari collector.
    Me too - currently have a huge collection of Atari 5200 stuff (including 3 consoles, loads of controllers (Atari and Wico), carts, even a Multi-Cart loaded with 120 ROMS... Played on my Dreamcast last night - but the 5200 will always be the CADILLAC of retro consoles IMO. I have literally THOUSANDS I've spent on 5200 stuff including a huge CIB Cartridge Collection. I just bought $200 worth last month on Ebay...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to spend all my gaming dollars on classic games, but for the last two years I've changed. Now I mostly buy last-gen and Wii games, with a DS title here and there. I'm also buying PC games recently, which is something I never did before (I just built a new PC over the summer). It's partly due to having amassed a large number of classics. A lot of my remaining wants are expensive, and I just can't bring myself to spend over $100 on any one game. I'm a bargain hunter at heart, and I figure, as long as I have other wanted games that aren't so expensive, I might as well acquire those first. I plan to get a PS3 in the very near future also.

My actual gaming time is spread out pretty evenly between Wii, last gen, 32-bit, and 16-bit. I rarely play my 8-bit stuff anymore, and I haven't touched my Colecovision or Atari in months. I should probably sell them.
    Last edited by j_factor; 12-25-2008 at 01:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Strangedogs View Post
    Me too - currently have a huge collection of Atari 5200 stuff (including 3 consoles, loads of controllers (Atari and Wico), carts, even a Multi-Cart loaded with 120 ROMS... Played on my Dreamcast last night - but the 5200 will always be the CADILLAC of retro consoles IMO. I have literally THOUSANDS I've spent on 5200 stuff including a huge CIB Cartridge Collection. I just bought $200 worth last month on Ebay...
    Its funny you say that, since the 5200 is about the size of a Cadillac.