Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do any of your games smell?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile Do any of your games smell?

I've just been wondering about this. On ebay people say "comes from a smoke free home". OK. I have over 800 videogames and I dont think any smell. Some are over 20 years old. They've had to have been in a house with someone smoking. Especialy back then. What do you think? I haven't tried smelling each one........yet!

Thanx RASK1904
    Merry X-mas
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of my games definitely has a smokey, musky smell to them.

I wouldn't say sitting in a house with someone who smoked did it, but certainly someone who smoked 2 packs a day for 20 years, probably. :P It reeks pretty bad for being a piece of plastic.

But then again, it's 20 years old, should I really complain if it smells a bit musky?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

I've had a ton of games smell like ciggarettes.

It seems like all of the games I buy off Cl the person is smoking while they're handing me the games.

If anyone is having trouble getting rid of the smell, put some dryer sheets in the box for a few weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Yeah some of my games smell a bit musty, but not enough to really notice.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every time that I buy a game, there is this personal quality control to meet/pass before it goes into any of my shelves.....Desinfecting cleaners do the job for me (kill 99.9% of germs)... , I'm not kidding...
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 12-25-2008 at 09:52 PM.
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

I've got a boxed Zelda II for NES that smells like cat piss - box, manual, cartridge - the whole thing. I've cleaned it all inside and out, left baking soda in the box, everything I could think of and it still reeks. There aren't any stains or anything, however. I've also got a boxed SNES that smells pretty similar, again with no stains or marks. With that one, I'm thinking it's the styrofoam that's the source of the odor.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sometimes I get games and systems off E-bay and the whole package smells like smoke. I don't clean any of them unless there is visible dirt or if the contacts look dirty. After they sit around in the game room the smell eventually wears off, I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheRealist50

I bought a game and it smelt like vinegar...Kinda curious as to how it ended up smelling like vinegar. Happened not too long ago actually, few months.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RASK1904 View Post
    I've just been wondering about this. On ebay people say "comes from a smoke free home". OK. I have over 800 videogames and I dont think any smell. Some are over 20 years old. They've had to have been in a house with someone smoking. Especialy back then. What do you think? I haven't tried smelling each one........yet!

Thanx RASK1904
    Merry X-mas

Not everyone smokes and not everyone smokes in every room of their home. In fact, the few people I know who still smoke typically go outside of their own home to do so just so their home doesn't smell.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by theChad View Post
    I've got a boxed Zelda II for NES that smells like cat piss - box, manual, cartridge - the whole thing. I've cleaned it all inside and out, left baking soda in the box, everything I could think of and it still reeks.
    Go to the pet store and buy a product called "urine-be-gone". It's made to get rid of cat piss. It is amazing. My neighbor bought a used freezer that smelled like it use to house a dead body. He was gonna toss the freezer. He had bleached it, scrubbed it, cleaned it every way possible and it still reak'd. I told him about this product and he called a few days later to thank me. He spayed the "urine-be-gone" on it and it was all better.
    Apparently the spray has an enzyme that kills bad smells. Give it a try.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Go to the pet store and buy a product called "urine-be-gone". It's made to get rid of cat piss. It is amazing. My neighbor bought a used freezer that smelled like it use to house a dead body. He was gonna toss the freezer. He had bleached it, scrubbed it, cleaned it every way possible and it still reak'd. I told him about this product and he called a few days later to thank me. He spayed the "urine-be-gone" on it and it was all better.
    Apparently the spray has an enzyme that kills bad smells. Give it a try.
    awesome tip, ill keep it in mind if i need to de-odorfy something. thanks

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I recently got some PC Engine games off eBay, and they smell funny. It's not a cigarette smell, and there's no discolouration. I have no idea what they went through, but I notice it every time I open the case.

A lot of the stuff I buy from thrift stores is dirty, but has long since lost it's smell. A week ago, I bought a Genesis with SegaCD attached at a thrift store. I mostly bought it because it was a SegaCD2 with the Genesis 1 extension piece on the end (I don't see that piece very often)... the thing was absolutely filthy... all kinds of dust and grime and cat hair on it. It took me ages to get the Genesis detached from the SegaCD because some dickhead spilled Coke on it and it was cemented in place... I had to resort to prying it apart with a screwdriver. However, I never noticed any smell from it.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    He SPAYED the "urine-be-gone" on it and it was all better. Apparently the spray has an enzyme that kills bad smells.
    Just got the biggest lawl out of this for no reason. I know it's a typo, but imagining someone trying to get their fridge "fixed" at the local appliance-veterinarian just gave me the giggles.

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember I bought a used Xbox game from Gamestop a few years back that completely smelled like cigarette smoke. I forgot which game it was so I can't check to see if it still smells like smoke or not but I changed out the case and I even took the instructions out for a few days and shook it for a few minutes at a time during those days and i still had the smell of smoke. Later on someone said to get a sheet of fabric softener and just put it in the booklet. I haven't tried that yet but it seemed plausable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I have yet to notice a single olfactory receptor on any of my games.

No noses either.

Even the Dreamcast. It may be thinking, but it ain't stinking.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never had a game that smelled yet but I've played some that stinks.
    Why So Serious?

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

My Neo Geo AES games have a weird plastic oder to them.,..crazily it's quiet pleasant smelling...When you open the cases up you can clearly smell something plastic or rubber like.

For as many games I brought home from flea markets I've never had any that smelt like smoke..And since I don't smoke I can really smell it on something or a person when they smoke,Whew!!

With odors..When it's damn out anything that I have made of wood,pinball machine,arcade machines smells like wood..

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    My Neo Geo AES games have a weird plastic oder to them.,..crazily it's quiet pleasant smelling...When you open the cases up you can clearly smell something plastic or rubber like.
    This is SNK's patented "Neo Geo AES premium smell". It's the video game equivalent of the smell of leather! Aaahh.. Refreshing. The stronger the smell the more the game is worth. Even a clogged nose can smell Kizuna Encounter up to 300 yards away!

In others news:
    Up until a few years ago I've never had anything that smelled too bad (I mean all games, especially new ones, give off some odor good or bad), but then I came across a box of goodies that had an indescribable odor. My guess is said box had been sitting in a barn for a few years. The smell wasn't disgusting by any means but certainly not a smell you'd want inside your home. There were PSX games, various manuals, N64 games, a N64 system, various wiring, etc etc. I swapped out the cardboard box first thing and let the stuff sit out in storage for a month or so (no special tricks), the smell was practically gone. _Except for the N64 system and controllers_. I wish I could say I opened it up and there was a dead rat in there or something but no such luck. Some day... !! I ended up taking the casing off the system and soaking/scrubbing it in the sink with soap. ..And thats the story of how I defeated the funk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was checking out a reasonably priced Sonic Jam (SS) a few months ago at this little store and was contemplating whether or not to pick it up, until I opened the case to inspect the instructions..... and found my nostrils assaulted with a stench very much like some leathery woman breathing all up in my hostile little face at some random biker dive. Infact, so brutal was the stench, that I decided that this unholy apparition simply could not exist in my collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a few games in the "carts to be cleaned" drawer that smell of cigarette smoke, but that's about it.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.