Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killzone 2 gets a date

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Killzone 2 gets a date

Great Ceasers Ghost. Some have forgot but according to gamestops website Killzone 2 has a date. Preorders get shipped 2/27/09 While preorders get a bonus demo code Feb 3 09.

It is safe to say. It is about time.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...product_id=591
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hope the gameplay is somewhere close to the first Halo, what with the physics and all. I'm all about emptying clips and strapping grenades all to the cue of a dramatical score (ala, Halo 1, not 2 or 3 ). Looks fairly fun, we'll see...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Killzone 1 was one of my favorite PS2 titles, despite all the silly "Halo-killer" marketing and the needless flogging it took in the press. (Mostly because of the inflated expectations over the marketing.)

Now that the "pre-rendered E3 footage" hype/controversy has had a few years to settle down - thanks in part to the actual press builds being exceptionally close to those movies this one hopefully will escape the same fate.

Reviews from the online beta users as well as most of the gaming press have been very positive.

From everything I've seen - the single player campaign looks downright beautiful, and the online & multi player modes look to be much more robust than those in Killzone 1.

This one is absolutely getting a pre-order from me. No question about it.

Especially now that Timesplitters 4 probably isn't ever going to see the light of day, I have to savor every nugget of current gen FPS franchise installments that I can get.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I the only person who saw the subject header and thought "Well thank goodness Killzone 2's coming out of its dry patch"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

It looks pretty good, I cant wait to play it online and give it a spin when it comes out. Nice to see the PS3 get such a polished exclusive.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still need to play thru the first game. It's been sitting on my game shelf all nice and factory sealed for about 2 or 3 years now. I did play thru the demo long ago and thought it was mediocre at best. But Killzone 2 looks much better.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I still need to play thru the first game. It's been sitting on my game shelf all nice and factory sealed for about 2 or 3 years now. I did play thru the demo long ago and thought it was mediocre at best. But Killzone 2 looks much better.
    While it gets a bit repetitive, graphically it's one of the best on the PS2 - and it does things with the camera and combat that few other, if any, FPS games in that console generation did.

It was worth a play-through back then ... it probably doesn't hold up now ... but I can almost guarantee that if you have an HD setup and pop in the first level you'll be impressed with what they managed to squeeze out of the PS2.

Seeing what they did on the PS2, and given the time, money and experience that Guerilla Games had to finish KZ2 I'm betting on a winner.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    IT4CH1 UCH1HA
    PSN
    kaleidescope

killzone 2 is the sole reason why i own a PS3 at all , can't wait

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Killzone was a lot of fun, but after the disappointments of Shellshock and Killzone: Liberation, I think I'm going to hold off for this to wind up on the Greatest Hits line before I take the plunge. As far as first person shooters coming out in February go, FEAR 2 is what I'll be spending my money on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aw, it's swell that Killzone 2 finally met someone. I wonder where they met? Lavalife?
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    Aw, it's swell that Killzone 2 finally met someone. I wonder where they met? Lavalife?
    Killzone 1 had to take his mother to the prom.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I played KZ1 and thought is was a great game. Screw the haters, I would love to play this. Just gotta get a PS3 someday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter View Post
    I played KZ1 and thought is was a great game. Screw the haters, I would love to play this. Just gotta get a PS3 someday.
    Yeah, the marketing really did that game in.

It launched during the prime of the Halo 2 years ... not a good time to call yourself a "Halo Killer" ...

... if they just played to the games strengths and avoided comparison to any other FPS it might have come away with a larger userbase and maybe even fond rememberance, similar to Black, Red Faction, TimeSplitters, Far Cry, or any other FPS of that era that did interesting/unique things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    As far as single player goes, I thought it was far superior to Halo 2. Lots of variety and some interesting mission structures. Multiplayer was a bit of a mess, but it wasn't solely the fault of the game for that so much as it was an issue with pretty much all of the online enabled PS2 games (yay for lack of a unified system and for the lack of proper storage for patches and updates!).

I've got some fond memories of playing through Killzone, even with the bugs it had. Hell, I may wind up playing through it again prior to playing the second game, though I don't know if I'll be quite as forgiving of the framerate this time around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sonicteam View Post
    killzone 2 is the sole reason why i own a PS3 at all , can't wait
    Tell me you are not rocking a miley cyrus avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

It launched during the prime of the Halo 2 years ... not a good time to call yourself a "Halo Killer" ...
    The two things the PS2 could NEVER beat the Xbox at were fps's and online play. Of course, this didn't really matter when the PS2 was selling like ice in hell. And I think alot of that marketing hype was started by the press. All Sony and Guerilla did was try their best to live up to it. They failed of course, but atleast it helped them get their foot in the door. But Killzone 2 will be the real measureing stick for the company. They obviously won't sell Halo 3 numbers but that doesn't matter either. All they have to do is make a good fun game. Hopefully they are up to the task.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think what did the most damage was lying and acting like the initial shots was the gameplay itself. I remember clearly Sony beat its chest that day all day.

Then to not even have that sequence in the game. We all should immediately get a 10 discount. I think the lesson learn here is the public will hold you to what you claim and they should.

As far as the psp one goes I thought that one was pretty good. Killzone 1 The thing that I had a hard time with was the controls and the flame from the gun was the same x flame I thought that was weird. I found cold winters controls much better.

Why didn't sony change the axis of the 2 sticks? Like the 360 and gamecube.
    Last edited by gepeto; 12-30-2008 at 06:33 PM.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    I think what did the most damage was lying and acting like the initial shots was the gameplay itself. I remember clearly Sony beat its chest that day all day.

Then to not even have that sequence in the game. We all should immediately get a 10 discount. I think the lesson learn here is the public will hold you to what you claim and they should.
    Sony beat their chest, but the developers were quite clear from the start that it was a target render. No one wanted to listen to them because they were too busy jacking off to the video footage and swallowing the promises being dished out by the PR monkeys.

Part of the sequence is still seems to be in the game (the first half of the video), at the very least.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Sony beat their chest, but the developers were quite clear from the start that it was a target render. No one wanted to listen to them because they were too busy jacking off to the video footage and swallowing the promises being dished out by the PR monkeys.

Part of the sequence is still seems to be in the game (the first half of the video), at the very least.

It seemed like doing that e3 no one said a word dev or sony about it being rendered. Everyone was asking was this the gameplay? This reminded me of the ultra 64 unveiling of super mario 64 when it was shown running on a huge machine behind the closed door. Everyone was like man how are you gonna shrink that down to a home system and cart?
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seemed like doing that e3 no one said a word dev or sony about it being rendered.
    Of course they weren't going to tell the truth. They wanted to create buzz for the non-existant PS3. I remember the G4 E3 special where Kevin Perrera said that theres no way that was real time game footage. And he was right. It was all prerendered with an increased speed.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 12-31-2008 at 12:42 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seemed like doing that e3 no one said a word dev or sony about it being rendered.
    When you have SCEA's Vice President saying that it's "definitely real", it's hard to directly call him out on it. Van Beek did a pretty good job of saying that it wasn't real and that it was little more than concept art without directly saying that the big dude was a complete fucking PR failure.
    IGN: Is the Killzone sequence a fair example of what people can expect from realtime gameplay on PlayStation 3?

Jan-Bart: Yeah, it's basically a representation of the look and feel of the game we're trying to make.
    That's pretty cut and dry right there, not to mention completely true in the end.