Thread: PS3 hard drive randomly died..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 hard drive randomly died..

So lame... I never backed up.

I had a 120gb Fujitsu drive in there... my first mistake. I knew Fujitsu drives were junk from working on laptops for so long... but I figured a new one would be ok.... NOPE!

The PS3 was fine one day and dead the next. I turned it on ad it made the fancy sound... and that was it. All that was on the screen was the wavy pattern... no text. I turned it on and off for a while and finally it came on, but froze. I noticed the hdd light stuck on.

Next time I turned it off and on it said the hdd was corrupted. It tried to format, got to 61%, rebooted, and said it was corrupted again.

Pulled the hard drive, threw in a small one, and it worked fine.

So lame.

Luckily laptop drives are SO cheap now.

Just ordered a Seagate ST9320421AS... 320gb, SATA3.0, 7200rpm, 16mb cache with a 5 year warranty from newegg for $100.

Just a rant I suppose.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know I bought my 320 sorpio from new egg I was all excited then I did the whole backup and restore thing then I realized that my ps3 downloads are just horrible.

I would have to redownload things and for what ever reason the things downloads like net zero. I turned off the media search I am hardwired and statically configured. My nat is 2.

I am stumped.
    neo geo system

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Was that the drive that came standard new with your PS3 (the 120 Gig model)?

Or

Did you put the 120 Gig Fujitsu drive in there yourself as a size upgrade?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine was the awesomest PS3... the 60gb. I put the 120 in there. The stock drives (at least mine was) are Seagate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I just don't get why stuff downloads so freaking slow on the PS3. Actually, the Wii too come to think of it. Only my 360 downloads fast. Go figure. I've tried this all over on various ISPs and locations...

On topic, is there a "copy" function to backup to external disk or anything for PS3? I don't have much on there I'd care about anyway, but still nice to know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, you can backup to any external USB hard drive or flash drive long as it's large enough.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I just don't get why stuff downloads so freaking slow on the PS3. Actually, the Wii too come to think of it. Only my 360 downloads fast. Go figure. I've tried this all over on various ISPs and locations...

On topic, is there a "copy" function to backup to external disk or anything for PS3? I don't have much on there I'd care about anyway, but still nice to know.
    The 2 PS3 I've owned were both extremely slow over PSN. You get what you pay for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

PSN downloaded extremely slow for me when I first got it (almost a year worth of multi-hour downloads) ... turned out to be my Wireless router / network.

When I got a new wi-fi router (linksys N range+) I saw a marked increase in PSN download speeds. Now the longest full-game downloads only take about 20 minutes and the small files, videos, graphcis, are only a matter of minutes or seconds respectively.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    PSN downloaded extremely slow for me when I first got it (almost a year worth of multi-hour downloads) ... turned out to be my Wireless router / network.

When I got a new wi-fi router (linksys N range+) I saw a marked increase in PSN download speeds. Now the longest full-game downloads only take about 20 minutes and the small files, videos, graphcis, are only a matter of minutes or seconds respectively.
    You know I don't believe you. Just Kidding. 1 gig 20 minutes on the ps3 network WOW What was the average times with the old one? With mines 1gig takes hours. I swear the 360 did something to the ps3on the DL. I have just become to spoiled with the 360. Like I said to me it is like netzero high speed. With speed boost. PS the sloskies

For all the bravado the PS3 spouts about new technology I find the issues with there system are just over the top. Flaky Usb drives,download issues.
    Last edited by gepeto; 01-02-2009 at 03:29 PM.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    You know I don't believe you. Just Kidding. 1 gig 20 minutes on the ps3 network WOW What was the average times with the old one? With mines 1gig takes hours. I swear the 360 did something to the ps3on the DL. I have just become to spoiled with the 360. Like I said to me it is like netzero high speed. With speed boost. PS the sloskies

For all the bravado the PS3 spouts about new technology I find the issues with there system are just over the top. Flaky Usb drives,download issues.
    Yeah ... I don't know. I find it hard to believe myself ... I think my old router ALWAYS had a flaky Wi-Fi card in it ... the new one has been great so far (knock wood) and I fully recommend it.

This model with the "Range Plus" and B,G, and N signals.

I think that PSN is also very succeptable to the "lots of people downloading it" syndrome.

If something is popular, and new to the store, and downloaded around peak usage times, it'll take a lot longer than if it's downloading in the AM hours and not during its first day or so on the store.

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you buy a game from PSN and your HD dies, do you get to redownload it for free or do you have to pay again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    if you buy a game from PSN and your HD dies, do you get to redownload it for free or do you have to pay again?
    Yes, you can re-download them, and with the exception of the expensive games (Warhawk, Burnout Paradise, Socom, etc.) you can download any title purchased on PSN on up to FIVE PS3 systems that contain your Playstation Network ID under a User Name.

Same goes for PSP.

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Yes, you can re-download them, and with the exception of the expensive games (Warhawk, Burnout Paradise, Socom, etc.) you can download any title purchased on PSN on up to FIVE PS3 systems that contain your Playstation Network ID under a User Name.

Same goes for PSP.
    cool, thanks, that puts me at ease