Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrono Trigger DS - [localization] differences between DS and SNES versions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Chrono Trigger DS - [localization] differences between DS and SNES versions

I've been playing through Chrono Trigger for the DS. What are the [localization] differences between the DS and SNES versions?

One that I've noticed is that the Ayla's bisexual comments when she first meets your party have been placed back in the script.

edit: added the word [localization]
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 01-04-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8bitCaged's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought the translation was redone from the Japanese because the snes version was translated in like one week. I remember in the snes version they mad all references of alcohol soda pop. now they just say "Drink"

and it has ps1 cut scenes, monster fight thing new endings, new dungeons it's portable, it is a ds game, touch screen, etc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitCaged View Post
    I thought the translation was redone from the Japanese because the snes version was translated in like one week. I remember in the snes version they mad all references of alcohol soda pop. now they just say "Drink"

and it has ps1 cut scenes, monster fight thing new endings, new dungeons it's portable, it is a ds game, touch screen, etc...
    right right... i mostly meant localization differences but those are all good points

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They keep calling Magus "The Fiendlord" and I don't remember what he was called in the original SNES but that didn't seem familiar to me.

Aeon Suit & Aeon Helm are now something longer... Can't remember off the top of my head but something like Aeonical or Aeonite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The big question for me is whether or not there are enough changes to make it worth playing through again.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    The big question for me is whether or not there are enough changes to make it worth playing through again.
    Chrono Trigger is worth playing through again regardless. The real question is "are there enough changes to make it worth buying for 39.99?" I'd say no, especially when you can get it, along with the best version of FF4, for 20.00 shipped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    I'd say the changes are worth it. I especially like the addition of achievements, online battles, downloadable content, and mortal-kombat style fatalities.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read in a dutch gaming magazine that there is 1 extra ending and 1 extra boss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Chrono Trigger is worth playing through again regardless. The real question is "are there enough changes to make it worth buying for 39.99?" I'd say no, especially when you can get it, along with the best version of FF4, for 20.00 shipped.
    I would say Yes it is

It's worth 40 bucks and I would recommend anyone to get it.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lothars View Post
    I would say Yes it is

It's worth 40 bucks and I would recommend anyone to get it.
    Chrono Trigger DS 40 dollars. New set of dungeons in each area and the Arena of the Ages.

Final Fantasy Chronicles 20 dollars. Chrono Trigger without the three dungeons and Arena of Ages. Final Fantasy 4 without all the lag and flaws the GBA versions carry, but also without the extra characters and dungeon.

Chrono Trigger SNES 80+ complete depending on condition for NTSC-U and around 30 shipped for a mint condition complete NTSC J version. Missing the new dungeons, the anime sequences, Arena of the Ages, and the bonus section. More of a collectors item and not really missing that much regardless in comparison to the other two.

If it was 19.99 it'd be worth it over buying the PSX version. Until then, not worth picking it up. It's worth it more if you don't want to pay for the 100+ mint SNES copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I don't own it yet but I would say that it is worth 40 just because it's portable. I don't have hours to sit in front of the tv and play anymore so having it portable makes a world of difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy Chronicles 20 dollars. Chrono Trigger without the three dungeons and Arena of Ages. Final Fantasy 4 without all the lag and flaws the GBA versions carry, but also without the extra characters and dungeon.
    The Chronicles version of Chrono Trigger is full of terrible, inexcusable loading times and should in no way be considered a valid substitute for the SNES or DS versions. I don't care what Douglas Coupland said.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it was 19.99 it'd be worth it over buying the PSX version.
    The PSX version is a lesson on how to make a great game into an unplayable mess.
    The load times, like Kid Fenris said are inexcusable. It took like 7 or 8 seconds to bring up the menu when you needed it. Actual battles were a painful experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    The load times, like Kid Fenris said are inexcusable. It took like 7 or 8 seconds to bring up the menu when you needed it. Actual battles were a painful experience.
    Yowza. Really? That's absoutely terrible. Suddenly a 40 hour game becomes an 80 hour game, except the extra 40 hours is spent watching a spinning CD

Why would it have to load anyway? It could keep the entire SNES rom in RAM - it should only have to load before and after the anime sequences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Unplayable mess? When switching rooms or getting into battles, there was about one second or a second and a half. Three seconds to bring up the menu and five seconds when naming a party member.

Three seconds doesn't hurt that bad when you're rarely going to go into the menu. One second load times when entering an area and battle really wouldn't matter either. How many times do you name characters again? On the SNES version, it took about half the time to switch rooms or get into battles, so it's not really such a huge difference.

I own both SNES and PSX versions, and while the PSX version does have slight load times, it definitely doesn't make the game unplayable. If you're going to complain about the load times in Chrono Trigger then you might as well sell all your disc based games, because they're going to be just as long or longer in most cases. I bet I won't see you doing that will I?

I never said the PSX version was the best one, as the DS version is essentially the best version. However, based on cost, the PSX version is the smarter choice for right now as you're getting the best version of FF4 along with Chrono Trigger for half the price of the DS version(20 shipped if you look on Ebay over 40+tax or 40+ on shipping.) FF4 if you're interested has load times just as fast as the SNES versions, also has a crappy FMV movie at the beginning, and doesn't have the flaws the GBA versions have.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-05-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well no. I won't sell all my discs and I'm quite used to load times, but for a port of a SNES game, I'm amazed it's as bad as it is. You'll never find a bigger Chrono Trigger fan than me I promise, but I just don't like that version. At all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tldr
    You raise a lot of good points, but still... they could load the entire SNES rom into RAM, so why is there load time?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own both SNES and PSX versions, and while the PSX version does have slight load times, it definitely doesn't make the game unplayable. If you're going to complain about the load times in Chrono Trigger then you might as well sell all your disc based games, because they're going to be just as long or longer in most cases. I bet I won't see you doing that will I?
    Yes, let's sell all of our disc-based games, because each of them is available as an affordable, slightly improved DS port that's completely free of loading times.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Insert Coin (Level 0) krooper13's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it really as good as the hype though? Due to the sort of prices it commands I've never even played it.
    I'm having a huge games clearout - aprox 500 items
    Please view what's on ebay right now: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/kroo...rsZ1QQ_fromZQQ

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krooper13 View Post
    Is it really as good as the hype though? Due to the sort of prices it commands I've never even played it.
    It's one of the best games ever.