Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile games are underrated, what are your favs?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Mobile games are underrated, what are your favs?

I don't know nobody really cares or says much about mobile games, I like my DS and PSP but 2d gaming is where my heart is. I'm really impressed with Legend of Kage 2, NSMB, Contra 4 and G&G but I find the action/platformer games far and few inbetween, still really great when you get a hold of them.

I probably wouldn't have given them a second thought but I was out of town and in hospital recently and I didn't have any of my consoles on me only my N73 the TV was total shite, and I was really bored, I was browsing my mobile provider site and I saw they had specials like buy 5 games for the price of 3, so I thought why the hell not give it a shot.

First few were really crappy but then I played POP TT, POP4, Castle of Magic etc and I was plesantly surprised, some of them are really good, okay I probably don't think they beat PSP and DS but I reallly, really like some of them, a lot.

I think nearly anything Gameloft make is awesome, www.gameloft.com esp their 2d platformer type games, I wondering if you guys picked up any gems?

Please discuss.

My favs so far would be

Pirates of the 7 seas
    Castle of Magic
    Urban Terror, really classy lightgun type game.
    Splinter Cell 4
    Beowulf
    Assassins Creed
    Mission Impossible.

If I have a gripe it would be that some of them are kinda short but some are really long and impressive.

Still most of them you can play over and over again.

etc

I also found a rather interesting site called www.pocketgamer.co.uk

I've been playing these games like non-stop, some real gems but I guess it's up to you guys, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Ackman; 01-07-2009 at 08:01 AM.
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really getting in to Street Fighter Zero 2 (Wide Screen) edition these days. Fantastic port when you consider it's only 1MB in size! I'll post screen shots if anyone is interested.

Yakumo
    Love the world of NTSC-J Sega?
    http://www.segagagadomain.com

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought you actually meant mobile games, like N-Gage and what not. Ha, on an actual phone.

Leaves a lot to be desired.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ackman View Post
    I think nearly anything Gameloft make is awesome, www.gameloft.com esp their 2d platformer type games, I wondering if you guys picked up any gems.
    Actually, funny you should say that. We get some of GameLoft's games here in Japan and they're all shite compared to what Capcom, Konami, Sega, Success, Taito and so on have to offer.

Here's some shots of Street Fighter Zero 2 Wide Screen. Plays really well and looks much nicer than the SFC version.

This is a shot from Fantastic Dreams Cotton. It's a conversion of the X68000 and arcade game but improved with loads of graphical scaling effects and transparencies.

We can even get stuff like Battle Garega and Sokyugurentai however they're both shit thanks to Raizing's mobile division having as much talent as a paper bag.

Yakumo

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
    I thought you actually meant mobile games, like N-Gage and what not. Ha, on an actual phone.

Leaves a lot to be desired.
    I know what your saying I felt the same way too but I really think that some mobile games are great.

EG
    Soul of Darkness (Castlevania type game)
    Castle of Magic (SMB type game)
    Urban Attack (time crisis+mirrors edge+silent scope type game)
    Assassins Creed

You can even check the reviews, www.pocketgamer.co.uk I think you can even try them on your pc with some j2m program, I dare you to play those 3 games and then make the same statement. It's like not knowing the DS exsists and then finding out about it imho.

Actually, funny you should say that. We get some of GameLoft's games here in Japan and they're all shite compared to what Capcom, Konami, Sega, Success, Taito and so on have to offer.
    I wouldn't say that every single one of Gamelofts games are great but I think they make some really fantastic games, esp the 2d platformer kind. I haven't really been impressed by Capcom Mobile so far, but Resident Evil the Missions is pretty cool, it's like having RE2 on your phone, Bionic Commando Rearmed was so, so. ( I don't know if I have to spend more time with it.) Final fight wasn't too bad either, pretty impressive in some ways but it doesn't look that great imo.

And I like their port of SF2CE, even if it has a easy mode and only fierce punch and fierce kick.

Still I do get what you guys are saying but I think you should give those 4 games a shot at least, Whoa SF Zero does look impressive somehow I don't think it'll run on my phone though? thanks for the info and screenshots Yakumo, pretty impressive.

I haven't played any Taito games but I have a look around, I even saw screenshots of Warriors of Fate for mobile, looks decent.
    Last edited by Ackman; 01-08-2009 at 12:11 AM.
    Go, go Ackman!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I only read the first paragraph. Thought the topic was portable consoles, but posted as mobile.

If I could actually have it. I'd probably say FF7 snowboarding :P.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-08-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tetris.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

So, are you talking about mobile phone games? I'm confused.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    So, are you talking about mobile phone games? I'm confused.
    Mobile phone games, maybe I didn't make it that clear in my first post? There are plenty of topics about DS and PSP games, but none for mobile games. It's kinda sad.

Anyway carry on folks, don't mind me.
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still I do get what you guys are saying but I think you should give those 4 games a shot at least, Whoa SF Zero does look impressive somehow I don't think it'll run on my phone though? thanks for the info and screenshots Yakumo, pretty impressive.
    Yeah, Street Fighter Zero 2 is very good. SFZero 1 is a bit poor though. It may run on your phone if you can run Japanese software. My phone is now 2 years old and runs it fine so you maybe in luck. Some of my fav' mobile phones games are Cotton (Shown above), arcade perfect with all audio wide screen version of Ninja warriors, Wide Screen Darius, Wide Screen Ridge Racer, Pariodius, Wonder Boy II (arcade version), Space Harrier, Out Run, Daimakaimuru arcade version (Ghouls & Ghosts), Psyvariar R and a few others. There are many poor games from capcom as you mentioned. Their mobile phone version of UN Squadron looks fantastic but moves at such an poor frame rate. The Japanese Final Fight for mobiles is also very poor.

I'll check out a few of those Game Loft titles you've mentioned to see what they are like. A new platformer wouldn't go amiss.

I haven't played any Taito games but I have a look around, I even saw screenshots of Warriors of Fate for mobile, looks decent.
    Be very careful of Taito mobile games. Some look great but actually move very slowly or are just plain crap. One's to avoid at all costs are Elevator Action 3D and Chase HQ 3D. Good Taito stuff are the 3 screen arcade versions of Darius and Ninja Warriors (you need a wide screen phone for these though), Kikikaikai and some cool Ninja climbing trees game. Also if you can access CAVE Mobile you can get some fantastic shooters such as DoDonpachi DX, Guwange DX, Lost Days, ESP and so on. But Avoid Mushi Hinasama. That is so slow and jerky.

Yakumo

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Doom RPG = best mobile phone game I've ever played.

Insert Coin (Level 0) krooper13's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it wrong that my phones so old Snake is still the best game?!
    I'm having a huge games clearout - aprox 500 items
    Please view what's on ebay right now: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/kroo...rsZ1QQ_fromZQQ

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    Yeah, Street Fighter Zero 2 is very good. SFZero 1 is a bit poor though. It may run on your phone if you can run Japanese software. My phone is now 2 years old and runs it fine so you maybe in luck. Some of my fav' mobile phones games are Cotton (Shown above), arcade perfect with all audio wide screen version of Ninja warriors, Wide Screen Darius, Wide Screen Ridge Racer, Pariodius, Wonder Boy II (arcade version), Space Harrier, Out Run, Daimakaimuru arcade version (Ghouls & Ghosts), Psyvariar R and a few others. There are many poor games from capcom as you mentioned. Their mobile phone version of UN Squadron looks fantastic but moves at such an poor frame rate. The Japanese Final Fight for mobiles is also very poor.
    Wow Ninja Warriors, that was an awesome arcade game back in the day, I'll have to try and look up the rest, running SF Zero may be complicated but I guess it's worth a shot?

I'll check out a few of those Game Loft titles you've mentioned to see what they are like. A new platformer wouldn't go amiss.
    If you only play 2 make sure it's:
    Castle of Magic and Soul of Darkness

Be very careful of Taito mobile games. Some look great but actually move very slowly or are just plain crap. One's to avoid at all costs are Elevator Action 3D and Chase HQ 3D. Good Taito stuff are the 3 screen arcade versions of Darius and Ninja Warriors (you need a wide screen phone for these though), Kikikaikai and some cool Ninja climbing trees game. Also if you can access CAVE Mobile you can get some fantastic shooters such as DoDonpachi DX, Guwange DX, Lost Days, ESP and so on. But Avoid Mushi Hinasama. That is so slow and jerky.

Yakumo
    Whoa Cave games on mobile!? I hope it isn't JPN only but I'll def try and look it up, DoDonpachi is too awesome for words, so the mobile version, can't be bad at all. Esp Cave their rep is pretty damn good. Will do my best to check out the others too.

Doom RPG = best mobile phone game I've ever played.
    I have heard great things about this game, I must put it on my list. The Documentation for mobile games is so poor it's impossible to know the really good ones by going to just one site. I even found a Bonk game for mobile, and it's pretty good so far imo.

Is it wrong that my phones so old Snake is still the best game?!
    Nah not at all, whatever floats your boat, I think my high score on my 3210 was 3000 something I wish I could remember, you really have to play Snakes 3d on the N73, I'm sure you could probably get it cheap to but it's all kinds of awesome, but the later stages get really hard, I think I was only level 40 or something, maybe there is a vid in youtube or something, I would recommend checking it out.

It has good graphics and gameplay for a mobile game, kinda reminds me of Tron for some reason.
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jesus, I'm playing Bejeweled on my cell phone and Japan gets f'ing STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2? In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "They're YEARS ahead of us!"

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    HardcoreXBL
    PSN
    HrdcrePSN
    Steam
    Brother_Daniel

Mine's so old that I can't have games on it. Pre-texting and all that.

Seriously, mobile games? They don't run smoothly, phones are for talking and for text addicts, and all that. The iPhone's interesting as a gaming platform but a bit tschochke(sp) and all that.
    <Blackjax> YES!!! MIDGET WRESTLING ON THE SPANISH CHANNEL!!!!

Romans 3:23
    For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God
    Romans 5:8
    But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
    Romans 6:23
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Seriously, mobile games? They don't run smoothly,
    That's beacuse western phone are not geared towards gaming. Japanese phones run games just like a handheld console. They even have D-Pads! Of course some phones are pretty turd for controlling games but others feel really nice.

phones are for talking and for text addicts, and all that.
    You sound like my wife She's always saying that when she sees me watching a movie or playing games on mine.

The iPhone's interesting as a gaming platform but a bit tschochke(sp) and all that.
    I've always wondered how you'd control a game on an iPhone because it has no D-pad or buttons, or does it?

Yakumo

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by eugenek View Post
    Jesus, I'm playing Bejeweled on my cell phone and Japan gets f'ing STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2? In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "They're YEARS ahead of us!"
    Man I feel your pain, just looked at mobile provider sites, even SF zero 1 doesn't seem to be out in the west? I wonder why not, I'd even email Capcom to try and find out. SF2CE isn't so bad, not the greatest but I had fun with it, and will probably play it again.

Seriously, mobile games? They don't run smoothly,
    I strongly disagree, I'm using a N73 and I would guess that 90% of mobile games run fine on it, if it runs crappy it's because it's not made for your phone or it's a crappy game. My friend downloaded POP4 from some crappy site and it ran terribly on his cellphone, really slow, we have the same phone but POP4 runs fine on mine, probably because he dl the wrong version. I must have like 50+/= games on my Cell at the mo? So I think I'd know about that kinda of thing.

Could have been the HD version if your phone can't handle it then I would recommend not buying the HD versions. The controls are pretty intuitive most of the time as well, I have a thumbstick on my phone so that helps out quite a bit, I'm happy with it.

phones are for talking and for text addicts, and all that.
    In that case I suppose you think PC's are for writing on word and browsing the internet, not Crysis, WOW and RTS games? Because RTS is made for mouse.

I would also say that most movie ports are absolute garbage on the DS and PSP, surprisingly enough this isn't the case with Cellphones, most of them are decent to pretty good.
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yakumo, I have Softbank also. By any chance do you know a website that has decent mobile game reviews? I did some looking around but wasn't able to find any thing worth a damn. I've got a 923sh, so I'm especially looking for widescreen games. Thanks in advance!
    -Ben

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to be able to play SF in my phone too.
    As far my fav mobile game, nothing can beat snake.
    Why So Serious?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grahf! View Post
    Yakumo, I have Softbank also. By any chance do you know a website that has decent mobile game reviews? I did some looking around but wasn't able to find any thing worth a damn. I've got a 923sh, so I'm especially looking for widescreen games. Thanks in advance!
    -Ben
    Sorry mate, I just learnt what was crap by downloading them and finding out the hard way I really do wish there was a site that gave info about Japanese mobile games but I just don't know of one.

To get the really good stuff you normally have to join the company's site such as Cave's site. Saying that, Taito's stuff is available via the Mega Appli menu under Widescreen. It's all in Japanese but most of the stuff is in katakana anyway so not too hard to read.

Yakumo