Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Default Original Xbox VGA options

We've had topics about this in the fairly distant past, but I've been looking into it again. What do you guys suggest for getting the original xbox to run on a VGA monitor?

Looking through old threads I see that there is no official adapter, and everyone seems to be using these kind of devices:

http://www.x2vga.com/
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...en-70-5w4.html

Still the best option? they both sound pretty nice. Anyone with the Hori one know how the ps2 support works? info i'm reading suggests that it has a built-in cable that pulls RGB from the ps2...interesting. But does it take component as well (for xbox, etc)? none of the pictures show all sides of the thing and the info is different on every page about the thing.
    Last edited by Cryomancer; 01-07-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow Here's what you need to know...

I've been though this as well. You have two basic types of devices if you want to convert component (YPbPr) to VGA. There's transcoders, and video processors.

Transcoders are electrically pretty simple and take a progressive (ONLY!) component signal, convert the necessary scan rate, and add sync to a VGA signal. They do not do any sort of processing to the image (usually), it simply allows your VGA input monitor to display the lower scanrate signal of component. Remember, component actually is a VGA signal, but it's missing critical sync info and the scan rate is for TV's (15khz). It has to be double scanned to 30 for your LCD/CRT to display it. The resolution stays exactly the same. Color conversion should be exactly what is output from the console.

However, if your monitor has a crappy scaler (or none at all), the image will be distorted or off-center, maybe not full screen, and you must be able to display the native resolution (640x480, 1280x720(720p), 1920x1080(1080p). A lower resolution LCD (i.e. 1024x768) cannot display the progressive scan 1080p signal for example.

A video processor is an all in one device that takes any input, and through a DSP, samples, scales, color converts, and upscans, then outputs it (with hopefully no lag) via VGA/DVI. This is suitable for use with interlaced or progressive sources of any type or resolution and allows it to output a picture with arbitrary resolution. With a VP, you can display a fully scaled and aspect ratio converted image in your native resolution. However the sharpness and color quality of the image is GREATLY dependent on the DSP and video scaler chip used in the device.

FWIW, I've bought 2 devices and I'm not entirely happy with either, but they each have their good points and are good for the money.

HD Box Pro: http://www.hdboxpro.com/eng/public.htm
    Neoya X2VGA: http://www.x2vga.com/

Neither of these came cheap. The X2VGA was more than 70 USD shipped and so was the HD Box Pro. There isn't a big market for these types of devices and their shipping rates reflect that .

The HD Box Pro is a video processor type device. It can display any HD component signal (interlaced or progressive) in any resolution your monitor supports. It has the advantage of converting the default interlaced signal from the Xbox so that you can see menus and navigate before launching the game or setting up progressive scan. Also, certain progressive incompatible games (Gunvalkryie, PD:Orta, on 1.5 and 1.6 rev XBox mainboards) display just fine in interlaced. It can also take audio input, which simply saves you the hassle of using a combiner cable. Excellent for fully utilizing widescreen support (properly aspect ratio corrected, etc).

Now the bad stuff; color is not accurate. It seems the HD Box Pro converts the color space wrong or is less accurate and most vibrant colors come out more pastel and overall there's not as much contrast as on a plasma or regular/HDTV. This is a limitation of the video processor used. It has that "tv tuner" look, like the decoders used on PC tv capture cards. Oh and the remote is crap, but that's not so bad, even if the documentation is nearly non existent.

The X2VGA is a transcoder. It works well and produces accurate colors that are very vibrant on my HP 2408h LCD. Luckily my monitor has an EXCELLENT scaler chip of its own. 640x480 and above are all displayed perfectly sharp (pixellated and not blurred). There is a rather useless EasyView feature to it that supposedly lets you display interlaced signals, but it's like watching old school scrambled cable and even adjusting your dash settings is nauseating.

Not too many features, but it's fairly solid and works well. Image quality is best with the X2VGA, but that's expected, it's not altering the progressive signal with processing or scaling. But, it has a aggravating bug that many owners experience (at least initially). Randomly, like every 15 minutes or half hour or whenever, your screen will temporarily blank and then come back a few seconds later. It's something that pisses you off. This seems to go away or get better with time and I rarely experience it now. Some owners have speculated it's due to the power circuitry inside. Audio is entirely up to you, the X2VGA only does video.

So there you have it. There are MUCH higher quality devices out there, but nothing remotely in this price range. You'll have a hard time finding a better dedicated video processor with good image quality for 55 USD. Also, look around for similar transcoder devices first, the X2VGA is overpriced because of shipping and only worth it if you cant get your hands on anything else. Transcoders are simple and identified by "1080p converter" or similar names attached to them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm using Frosty's bootdisk with a "frozen cable" that converts the Xbox output to VGA. It's supposed to support 480 and 720p and even 1080i but so far I haven't found a way to get a stable image on my plasma screen.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Wow duralisis, thanks for the info. I sorta knew lots of that but having it in one post is very helpful. Going from your reviews, the X2VGA seems like it would be more to my wishes...but I do wonder about the quality of my monitor as well. I'll have to get some proper specs on that before I buy anything (although, 360 via VGA looks pretty decent on the thing).

Anyone tried the Hori one? ps2 support like it claims would be pretty hand to have as well...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Component isn't VGA. VGA is RGB, where Component is Color Difference.

RGB
    Color Difference: Red minus green, blue minus green, monochrome+csync..

Something like that.