Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Default Transfering from one xbox HDD files to another

I have a soft modded Xbox and I have a non softmodded Xbox. Can I transfer all the files from the softmodded xbox to the other so I will have 2 softmodded xboxs?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

eh... depends. Maybe. I wouldn't though. If the xboxes aren't the same model, the second one won't boot and you'll have to swap out the bios.

It's easier to just softmod the second box on it's own. The auto-modding tools that are out there are as simple as can be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well you can bring over game saves from one to the other via memory card, but not DLC. I guess if you modded the other one you could do a HDD clone with Ghost or something like that to have mirrored boxes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

If it's the original Xbox...no.

Each console has it's own "code", or eeprom.bin file. The CPU checks this with each HDD.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    If it's the original Xbox...no.

Each console has it's own "code", or eeprom.bin file. The CPU checks this with each HDD.
    Er... no. The hard drive lock code is stored in an eprom on the motherboard.

If you want 2 identical xboxes, assuming they're both the same model (and 1.5 or below), you could dump the eeprom from the first, push the eeprom on to the second box, clone the hard drive from the first to the second, then run the hard drive lock on the second xbox's drive with the code from the first one.

That would keep you from loosing any of the saves that might be locked to the console.

I'm not sure i recommend that method though, it's not a simple process. I also left a few steps out, so if you want to go that way, let me know and i'll write out instructions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

wow it seems it is alot more difficult then I thought, good thing I asked first before I went ahead and just did it. But I think I may just try and soft mod it myself just thought it would have been easier to transfer the files. ProgrammingAce you mentioned something about an "auto mod" is that using the splinter cell and action replay method I dont have an action replay or have the device to use a usb drive is there another way. Thanks to anyone who posted helping me out.

Thanks

*I got someone else to do my first xbox, so it will be my first try at it.*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Softmodding is pretty easy as far as I know. Im pretty sure all you need is an XBOX, a memory card and specific copies of 1 of a certain group of games(theres a couple you can do it with). I know Splinter Cell and one of the early James Bond(agent under fire maybe) games are supposed to work.....but you need a specific version(not the greatest hits version or possibly a certain sku). You download a save to the memory card and run the game, load the save and it supposedly does it......

Its kind of amazing how hackers were able to circumvent XBOX1 without any hardware adjustment being MS and all I figure they would be locked down. I dont even think you can do that to a PS2 or GC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Er... no. The hard drive lock code is stored in an eprom on the motherboard.
    Then explain why a specific HDD is locked with a specific motherboard. The HDD has to have the same info, else it won't "boot". Today I replaced my brother's HDD, and I "installed" the eeprom.bin file into the HDD so the motherboard/cpu/Xbox/whatever can recognize it. Otherwise an error message would appear.

If you want 2 identical xboxes, assuming they're both the same model (and 1.5 or below), you could dump the eeprom from the first, push the eeprom on to the second box, clone the hard drive from the first to the second, then run the hard drive lock on the second xbox's drive with the code from the first one.
    No. I have tried this. If you use another HDD, even if it's an image of a previous console, it just won't work. Each HDD/motherboard compo is unique. This is why you can't simply swap one HDD for another.

Now, it is possible to use another Xbox's HDD on another console. This would mean unlocking and locking the HDD with the new code from the target HDD. In other words, If you use HDD from Xbox A, you also need the eeprom from Xbox B. Then on the HDD of Xbox A, "configure" it so it can now have the eeprom from Xbox B, so that way motherboard from Xbox B can read motherboard from Xbox B.

Let me see if I can explain it better, as even I confused myself

Let's say I have two Xbox consoles: Xbox A and Xbox B. You can use Xbox A HDD on Xbox B. This is done by unlocking A, erasing the current eeprom.bin from it. Then afterwards, prepare Xbox A HDD with the eeprom.bin from Xbox B. So when you connect HDD A to Xbox B, Xbox B will think HDD A is HDD B because it has the information needed to boot.

Also, how would you "push" the eeprom from the first Xbox to the second one? Flashing the second one?

That would keep you from loosing any of the saves that might be locked to the console.
    Wouldn't it be easier to simply FTP the softmodded Xbox, copy all the files and saves from it to the PC, use a certain "installer" on the non softmodded Xbox to bring up the softmod installation menu, and FTP the new Xbox (while on this menu) and simply copy everything back? I've done this and it works great WITHOUT the need of softmodding another Xbox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Howie6925 View Post
    wow it seems it is alot more difficult then I thought, good thing I asked first before I went ahead and just did it. But I think I may just try and soft mod it myself just thought it would have been easier to transfer the files. ProgrammingAce you mentioned something about an "auto mod" is that using the splinter cell and action replay method I dont have an action replay or have the device to use a usb drive is there another way. Thanks to anyone who posted helping me out.

Thanks

*I got someone else to do my first xbox, so it will be my first try at it.*
    You get a specific game, either Mech Assault (first version, with a specific SKU if I remember), Splinter Cell (any version I THINK, since I have done it with the Greatest Hits and normal versions just fine) and a James Bond game, whose name escapes me now.

Get certain files for the speciifc game you will use and transfer them to the memory card via the Action Replay.

Copy these files (two at least) to the Xbox's HDD.

Run the game and load the files. The installer will run.

I used Splinter Cell. I load up the save file, called LINUX on the game. Then the SID 5.0 installer appears. Make a backup of your eeprom.bin (SUPER IMPORTANT!!!!!) and MS Dash. At this I usually FTP the eeprom.bin to my PC as backup. Choose the installation method and dahsboard (I use UnleashX).

And you are set!

Of course, I've omitted some steps, just to give you an overall idea.

It's not hard at all. I've done this several times, and it does seem a little scary, but as long as you backup your eeprom.bin, you are ok.