Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did anyone waste their time trying to make the Konami code work on Jackal?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo View Post
    I thought the first Contra was the easier one, but I've played both so many times I can 1 life clear both of them and they are both equally easy now. I have no idea why people find these 2 so hard.
    Neither of the first two NES Contra's are all that difficult. I've beat Super C with one life a bunch of times. The trouble I run into with Contra is in the Energy Zone (Stage 6?). For whatever reason, I can never get through the beams consistently.

That single stage wipes out half a dozen of my men (give or take), which means I generally have to use the 30-lives code on account of one friggin' level. Other than that minor setback, I have the first Contra down pat and don't lose a single life in any of the other stages.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xian042 View Post
    Also, didn't Super C only give you 10 extra lives instead of 30?
    Yup. I always found Super C easier then Contra also. On a good run I can make it up to Stage 3 without loosing a single life or two.

Fact the code is valid and does stuff in the DDR and Metal Gear Solid titles is cool.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jupitersj
    PSN
    jupitersj

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    You've obviously NEVER played The Adventures of Bayou Billy.
    I can't believe I beat that game...I guess it's easier to waste time and be persistent as a kid

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jupitersj View Post
    I can't believe I beat that game...I guess it's easier to waste time and be persistent as a kid
    Bayou Billy is on the list of games that I was never able to beat without the NES Game Genie.

I'd be stockpiled with extra men, because I could breeze through the sidescrolling and light gun levels, only to lose my entire arsenal of men on the driving stages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Bayou Billy is on the list of games that I was never able to beat without the NES Game Genie.

I'd be stockpiled with extra men, because I could breeze through the sidescrolling and light gun levels, only to lose my entire arsenal of men on the driving stages.
    I had to do it the hard way since as a kid ... and now, I am adamantly against game genies or any cheat devices. For me the driving stages were doable but absolutely not at top speed. Slow and steady was the only way to survive them. I thought the fighting stages were worse. I love beat'em upsbut the enemies appear totally unphazed when you hit them. It's annoying.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah...Bayou Billy. Never managed to get through it without the Game Genie, personally. Driving and shooting were easy, but man, just getting through the first level without dying was a challenge! Those enemies were tough, and as Garry put it, unphazed when hit. Great graphics, but almost unplayable through the fighting levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

I have a friend who used to come over and play Bayou Billy all the time. He would beat it every time he came over so that game is banned at my house! Seriously. He would play it all the time. He Could beat Contra(who cant) and Ninja Gaiden I & II but not III. It's just weird that evreyone talks about these games.

With Bayou it's just a beat em up. If your super good at them there you go. When fighting go up and down. Goood dodge.

Ninja Gaiden is memorising paterns. Kinda like the original Castlevania. Which me and him beat together. I killed Dracula though. He killed Death.

Oh Dave, hope "The Team" didn' get ya! Lol

Thanks RASK1904
    In yo face!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

With all this talk about Bayou Billy it reminds me that I couldn't get through the first level for the longest time. Turns out, it's the hardest level! Once I got past that I think another week's practice had me through the game. The tough part was nailing those driving scenes (driving games were never my forte, always a weakness). The gun scenes weren't too tough. But seriously, if you can make it past stage 1, you'll go far.

Konami does that with games every now and then...take Gradius 2 for FC for example. The first stage is nearly impossible, but when you make it through, there's a good chance you'll beat the game in the same sitting!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!