Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Throwing out Old games

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    Yes. A lot of stuff simply isn't worth my time to try to get rid of, nor is it worth the space it would take up. If I had five copies of SMB/Duck Hunt, they'd probably go into the trash. I'm not going to spend 20 minutes packaging them up to be shipped and making a trip to the post office if someone offered to take them off my hands, nor am I going to drive out of my way to a thrift store to unload them. They're no more important than stacks of old common baseball cards or crappy LP records missing their sleeves.
    People have this misconception that there is no demand or value for Mario/Duck Hunt just because it is the most common NES game in the world and probably the common video game PERIOD.

However, if you have 5 copies, 10 or 15 to get rid of, I guarantee you'll find at least one person in any video game forum on the internet who will give you something for them.

Hell, I remember last year we had 2 or 3 guys post threads in the Buy/Sell forum here actively looking to buy a bundle or lot of Mario/Duck Hunt carts for some reason and to a man, they all said "the more, the better." And I bet it happens again this year at some point.

Furthermore, the fact is that a hell of a lot of buyers on Ebay and Craigslist looking for video game systems (such as NES) still prefer that it come with at least one game, even if it is a very common game or a mediocre one.

Anyone selling an NES on Ebay or Craigslist advertised with a "new 72 pin connector" who happens to have a few spare copies of Mario/Duck Hunt would be foolish NOT to include a copy. You're that much more likely to sell the system with a game, any game. Since there are a ton of people selling NES systems on Ebay or Craigslist without a game included, you are able to stand out a little bit from those other sellers.

Same rule applies for someone selling a "lot of 42 NES games" (or pick any number) and they don't bother padding the listing with a couple spare copies of Mario/Duck Hunt because a casual buyer (not necessarily savvy) is oftentimes more concerned with the volume of games than the games actually included. It is just stupid not to hold onto a few extra Mario/Duck Hunt's for one of those listings.

A casual buyer seeing two similar Ebay listings for an NES with a new 72-pin connector installed, at about the same price, is more likely to buy the one with a game included even if that game is Mario/Duck Hunt and even if cynics tell you the game is worth no more than a nickel.
    Last edited by bangtango; 01-24-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    StomachEarth

I can't even SELL games, let alone throw them away. I have never and will never throw out a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I once threw out a whole box of C=64 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Never have, never will. Broken controlers and broken systems that cant be repaired, yes. Software, no. Your friends parents should be introduced to ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would never throw anything that still has value in the trash. If I don't want something and can't sell it, then I'll offer it to a friend. If they don't want it, I'll leave it in front of my house.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icarusX360
    PSN
    titanzguard

No, Never, ever...ever...eva!

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheGam3r View Post
    my friends parents forced him to throw out 1 GB And 1 GBC Game them.He could of gave them to me.

The games were:Zelda Oracle of ages or seasons and the addams family.

I Could of gotten 2 Free Game boy games.

would you throw out games
    That's ridiculous.

Why didn't he just give them to you and say he threw them out?
    Adult Podcast for Kids
    Weekly geek podcast. Everything from movies to tv, comics to video games, pro wrestling, entertainment, and beyond, with a decidedly adult slant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hell yeah I can find a use for SMB/Duck Hunt carts. Do not ever throw these away O_o.

Same for non-working carts, controllers or consoles, do not throw that! Offer them! They are still all useful for parts.

On the other hand, non-working CD/DVD that cannot be brought back to life even using a resurfacer.. that can go to the trash can IMO.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello,
    I have been reading these posts and couldn't help but reply
    Why throw the stuff out when it can be repaired or passed on or even traded? That's what I do as a side job and I get to play tons of games for absolutley free

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

never throw out cartridge games, even Duck Hunt/Mario. As Xander says, they are needed even for parts.
    Empty cartridge shells will be needed in the future for homebrews as well, be it GB, NES, VCS or whatever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    On the other hand, non-working CD/DVD that cannot be brought back to life even using a resurfacer.. that can go to the trash can IMO.
    I respect this opinion but I do beg to differ

You can still get a lot of gameplay/video footage, screenshots and sound bites from darn near any "non-working" CD/DVD games. Especially after a good resurface.

It is true that they may not be playable in any way, shape or form but I believe they are still usable for providing original screenshots (i.e. not stolen from other web sites) if you are running a web site for a specific console, developer or game series (i.e. Sonic).

Music cd's that are all scratched up can be good for at least 1-2 songs because I've never come across a cd in horrible condition which didn't have at least one or two songs that played in full without skipping. Yes, they may need a resurface first but throwing out or giving away cd's on account of a few songs skipping if others play perfectly is a little dumb. By all means buy a better copy if you need to but tossing the other in the garbage is unnecessary.
    Last edited by bangtango; 01-24-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Throwing away games = throwing away money = not very smart = end of story =

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Honestly, people like that make me pretty angry, and it's not even because they threw out games. If something is completely broken and/or has no use left to it, fine, stick it in the trash, but nothing else has any business being in there. Our landfills are absolutely loaded with stuff that still would have had value to someone out there. Sure, Game Boy games may not consume a ton of space, but they still should've been given away, sold on eBay, dropped off at a thrift store, etc. Not only are you giving someone else the opportunity to find use in something and keeping stuff out the landfills, but you can also do some good that way. If you, say, drop the games off at a Goodwill or Salvation Army and they sell for however much money, that money will go to charities or to employ people with disabilities that can't otherwise find work. So it's a win-win situation.

When I grew up, we had a picture frame on the wall that said "Waste not, want not". I fully believe in that. Even if you're not poor, think of all the money you'll save if you use everything to its fullest. I see people buy plastic bottles of water day after day, wasting money and contributing to the massive influx of plastic bottles in landfills, while I'll buy one and then use that same bottle for the next few weeks by using my water filter at home to refill it. And stuff like packing peanuts and bubble wrap, I'd NEVER waste a cent actually buying that. I get more than enough from my own packages, and even if I ran out, I can just use newspaper or plastic bags.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Up until two months ago I would have said no. But I listed a lot on here(and ebay) that was super scratched up. It was one demo disc and 3 games for Xbox. The demo even had gook on it. There was no way that shuff was going into my baby. And nobody bid on it and nobody here bought it so I threw that shit out. I even said in my auction listing(and my description on here) that if I didn't sell it in two weeks that it was getting thrown out. I always keep my word.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

his parents forced him to throw them out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Honestly, people like that make me pretty angry, and it's not even because they threw out games. If something is completely broken and/or has no use left to it, fine, stick it in the trash, but nothing else has any business being in there. Our landfills are absolutely loaded with stuff that still would have had value to someone out there. Sure, Game Boy games may not consume a ton of space, but they still should've been given away, sold on eBay, dropped off at a thrift store, etc. Not only are you giving someone else the opportunity to find use in something and keeping stuff out the landfills, but you can also do some good that way. If you, say, drop the games off at a Goodwill or Salvation Army and they sell for however much money, that money will go to charities or to employ people with disabilities that can't otherwise find work. So it's a win-win situation.

When I grew up, we had a picture frame on the wall that said "Waste not, want not". I fully believe in that. Even if you're not poor, think of all the money you'll save if you use everything to its fullest. I see people buy plastic bottles of water day after day, wasting money and contributing to the massive influx of plastic bottles in landfills, while I'll buy one and then use that same bottle for the next few weeks by using my water filter at home to refill it. And stuff like packing peanuts and bubble wrap, I'd NEVER waste a cent actually buying that. I get more than enough from my own packages, and even if I ran out, I can just use newspaper or plastic bags.
    The best reply this thread has seen and will see.

Insert Coin (Level 0) krooper13's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Mum gave my Master System II plus 20 games to one of my brother's mates when i was about 15, that annoyed me!
    I'm having a huge games clearout - aprox 500 items
    Please view what's on ebay right now: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/kroo...rsZ1QQ_fromZQQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I only throw away the game if it can't be fixed.Also helps to keep it's manual and case,you never know when a person needs one to go with a loose copy

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NEVER. I dont even sell any back to gamestop or whatever. I keep em. Its a waste of money to sell them back on anything other than eBay. I have 646 games now >_> 649 hopefully by next thursday. I found this awesome new retro game store in my area, which really is probably the best place I have seen in ages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

One.he was rummaging through my GBA games in the bus to play on his DS.He fins lord of the rings:the third age and he says Lord of the rings a violence game.Keep in mind his parents wont let him have any Rated-T Games and hes 15.No goldeneye for Him.I Was playing rated T Games since i was 8-9