Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Midway is ignorant and arrogant

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Midway was going to make a Wii version, but Nintendo was going to require that there be a tiger killing bonus stage.
    .....Hmmm...... That might sell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

In a board room with a wall of windows facing Lake Michigan, a group of twenty-and-thirty-somethings wearing button down shirts, dockers and brightly-colored ties sit facing on another at a long, heavy table. The man at the head of the table, Midway CEO Matt Booty stands, clears his throat, and calls the meeting to order.

"Gentlemen," he begins, "we are in trouble." The only sound in the room is that of the projector. Powerpoint slide after slide scrolls by delivering a barrage of bad news. "Console sales are down, game sales are down ... Boys, the recession has caught up with us."

Matt sits back down in his chair, putting his hands behind his head and leaning back. He picks up a glass of ice water; there's no water left, and he rattles the ice against the sides of the glass to prove it.

"Uh, Matt," one of the men says. It's Bob MacArthur, one of Midways project leads. "We've been working on a new title ... may I?" he says, uncertainly. Matt nods, and Bob walks to the laptop. With a few keystrokes, a new Powerpoint appears on the projector screen: "MORTAL KOMBAT HERO". The splash screen shows Raiden holding a microphone, with lightning in his eyes. Behind Raiden stand Scorpion with a guitar, Sub Zero with a bass, and Goro on drums. Off to the side is Kitara and Sonya, one with maracas, the other with a tambourine.

"The name says it all, really," says Bob. Underneath the game's title is a subheading: "Flawless Rockality".

The room is silent. Suddenly, Matt springs to his feet, walking directly up to Bob and punching him in the gut. As Bob doubles over, Matt grabs his head, twists it, and pops it off. Reaching into his neck hole, Matt grabs a handful of Bob's tendons. By pulling on them he makes Bob's body appear to be playing air guitar.

"Flawless Rockality," he says, letting go of the clump of tissue as Bob's body crumples to the floor below.

Once again, the room is silent, save for the faint whir of a projector fan.

"Anybody else have any ideas?" asks Matt, wiping the blood from his hands on a small towel.

For half a minute, the room remains silent. The tension is thick. Finally, again, someone speaks up.

"What about porting MK vs DC to the Wii?" a voice says.

The room remains silent. "Who suggested that?" Matt asks.

"A user on our forums," says the voice. "He also called us idiots," he adds.

Matt sits back down in his chair. He laughs for a split second; then again, slightly longer. Finally his laughter erupts in an explosion of madness. "That's it ... that's IT!" he exclaims! "We ARE idiots!" he laughs!

Slowly, the nervous board members begin to laugh, too. Matt walks over behind one of the men and puts his hands on his shoulders. Matt throws his head back and laughs even louder. When his head tilts forward, his face is gone, replaced with a metal skull. His razor sharp nails dig into the man's neck, holding his target in place. Suddenly, flames shoot from his eyes and mouth, burning the member beyond recognition almost instantly. Screams fill the room. One member running toward the door is stuck in the back by Scorpion's tail.

"Get over here!" shouts Matt, punching all the way through the man's torso with his free hand.

One member attempting to flee opens the double closet doors in the back of the room only to discover Goro hiding there. Goro picks the man up with two of his arms and holds him in the air, punching him repeatedly with the other two.

"FLAWLESS ROCKALITY!!!" Matt screams as the carnage continues to unfold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    "Uh, Matt," one of the men says. It's Bob MacArthur, one of Midways project leads. "We've been working on a new title ... may I?" he says, uncertainly. Matt nods, and Bob walks to the laptop. With a few keystrokes, a new Powerpoint appears on the projector screen: "MORTAL KOMBAT HERO". The splash screen shows Raiden holding a microphone, with lightning in his eyes. Behind Raiden stand Scorpion with a guitar, Sub Zero with a bass, and Goro on drums. Off to the side is Kitara and Sonya, one with maracas, the other with a tambourine.

"The name says it all, really," says Bob. Underneath the game's title is a subheading: "Flawless Rockality".

That's so lame it wraps back around to awesome.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

"FLAWLESS ROCKALITY!!!"
    I will now think this every time I play either game...

Brilliant!
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well at least this thread illustrates some of their ignorance pretty well

they deleted my post immediately, instead of letting it stand and letting others comment on it after I was banned for it... to keep their Denial Nirvana forums "happy"... would it have harmed them so much to face reality and let all their posters comment on what I posted? I suspect the thread would've followed a similar course as this one has... but instead, they reinforced my assertion that they're obviously not interested in selling me Wii or PC games

BTW, to the person who asked, their forum rules state that they can edit or remove anything for any reason, or for no reason at all... so it's a fascist board

for those who perceive me whining about being banned, their bans are only temporary, so the fact that I was banned isn't my issue with the matter as much as how and why I was banned and my post was deleted immediately... let's keep Denial Nirvana "happy" by ruling it with an iron fist of censorship, shall we? granted, it is their right to do so on their own forums, but it still smacks of COWARDICE when owners find such methods necessary to them

so in other words, they're AFRAID to make games for the Wii and PC now... and granted they should be afraid, in their situation, but what have they got to lose in doing so till the bitter end? going bankrupt faster? accidentally stumbling on a miraculous mega-hit that turns their profit margins around?

apparently alot of you think that the point of my post was just another bitch session about this or that... and maybe it is for some people, but clearly it's not for others, judging by the comments in this thread so far... it is what you perceive it to be, so I won't defend it much more than to make it clear that I currently do most of my modern gaming on Wii & PC, after having done it on GBA & PC exclusively since the death of the Dreamcast... so the games I know of XBOX, PS2, Gamecube, XBOX360, & PS3 are the games that got ported to the PC... mostly racing games, as that's what I enjoy most now... but I still know of most games for those systems in other genres, as long as they got ported to the PC... the Wii not so much still, as I still don't actually own a Wii yet myself, I just started collecting for it after my parents got one, and I'm still mainly focusing on my retro collecting goals over my modern collecting goals, but managing to keep adding plenty for both generations

so for those who think I'm biased for not collecting for XBOX, PS2, Gamecube, XBOX360, & PS3, I just don't see why I should feel like I should have to do it just because "everyone else" is doing it and paying 2 or 3 times as much to do it on those consoles instead of doing it through PC ports... even after spending $1000's on hardware and hardware upgrades, I'm still getting nearly every racing game ever made for any of those systems for 2 or 3 times less paying full price on the day of release... this is how I'm able to continue spending $1000's on games for all the systems that I collect for... so I really don't see why an XBOX360 or a PS3 is a necessary purchase for me, unless one of those systems does what the Wii did and makes a game like Speed Racer a Wii exclusive... then I might need to get one of those systems... so in other words, I don't see it happening anymore than it did for the XBOX & PS2... there were only a handful of exclusives for those systems that I would've liked to own that weren't ported to the PC, so why bother?

my point is that especially in this economy, corporations like Midway need to figure out that most people aren't gonna keep feeding them what they want, if they aren't gonna keep feeding us what we want... I don't buy any video games or systems because I have to, I buy them because I want to... so just because "everyone else" is still doing it, doesn't mean that I have to keep doing it to keep up with them... I can keep up with them cheaply and legally on the PC, so they can play the Piracy Pity Violin for themselves all they want to, obviously it still isn't THAT MUCH of a problem for them, because they're still selling most PC ports of modern console games for ONLY $20 each... so if they're not selling enough at those prices, perhaps they should price them higher, so those that do sell return more money to them... because I'm certainly not gonna stop buying them, as long as they make them... and obviously I'm not the only person buying them, because plenty of new ones are still coming out every year... where there's a seller, there's a buyer... no seller, no buyer... so no PC port = no buyer here... I can't buy what they don't make, and I won't buy what they make for consoles, just because they choose to not port it to the PC... certainly not when I've spent $1000's on hardware to run PC ports... why spend $1000's more on consoles?

CHEAP GAMES GOOD... EXPENSIVE GAMES BAD... PC PORTS FOR THE WIN! this is why WII = WIN... WII = CHEAP... CHEAP = GOOD... EXPENSIVE = BAD

welcome to the new world economy... it's everyone's reality now... enjoy it... I certainly am... it's like the Great Crash all over again... ALL ON CLEARANCE!

You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So.. if we all go to the Midway boards there won't be any Iron Draggon?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post

they deleted my post immediately, instead of letting it stand and letting others comment on it after I was banned for it... to keep their Denial Nirvana forums "happy"... would it have harmed them so much to face reality and let all their posters comment on what I posted? I suspect the thread would've followed a similar course as this one has... but instead, they reinforced my assertion that they're obviously not interested in selling me Wii or PC games

BTW, to the person who asked, their forum rules state that they can edit or remove anything for any reason, or for no reason at all... so it's a fascist board

for those who perceive me whining about being banned, their bans are only temporary, so the fact that I was banned isn't my issue with the matter as much as how and why I was banned and my post was deleted immediately... let's keep Denial Nirvana "happy" by ruling it with an iron fist of censorship, shall we? granted, it is their right to do so on their own forums, but it still smacks of COWARDICE when owners find such methods necessary to them

so in other words, they're AFRAID to make games for the Wii and PC now... and granted they should be afraid, in their situation, but what have they got to lose in doing so till the bitter end? going bankrupt faster? accidentally stumbling on a miraculous mega-hit that turns their profit margins around?

apparently alot of you think that the point of my post was just another bitch session about this or that... and maybe it is for some people, but clearly it's not for others, judging by the comments in this thread so far... it is what you perceive it to be, so I won't defend it much more than to make it clear that I currently do most of my modern gaming on Wii & PC, after having done it on GBA & PC exclusively since the death of the Dreamcast... so the games I know of XBOX, PS2, Gamecube, XBOX360, & PS3 are the games that got ported to the PC... mostly racing games, as that's what I enjoy most now... but I still know of most games for those systems in other genres, as long as they got ported to the PC... the Wii not so much still, as I still don't actually own a Wii yet myself, I just started collecting for it after my parents got one, and I'm still mainly focusing on my retro collecting goals over my modern collecting goals, but managing to keep adding plenty for both generations

so for those who think I'm biased for not collecting for XBOX, PS2, Gamecube, XBOX360, & PS3, I just don't see why I should feel like I should have to do it just because "everyone else" is doing it and paying 2 or 3 times as much to do it on those consoles instead of doing it through PC ports... even after spending $1000's on hardware and hardware upgrades, I'm still getting nearly every racing game ever made for any of those systems for 2 or 3 times less paying full price on the day of release... this is how I'm able to continue spending $1000's on games for all the systems that I collect for... so I really don't see why an XBOX360 or a PS3 is a necessary purchase for me, unless one of those systems does what the Wii did and makes a game like Speed Racer a Wii exclusive... then I might need to get one of those systems... so in other words, I don't see it happening anymore than it did for the XBOX & PS2... there were only a handful of exclusives for those systems that I would've liked to own that weren't ported to the PC, so why bother?

my point is that especially in this economy, corporations like Midway need to figure out that most people aren't gonna keep feeding them what they want, if they aren't gonna keep feeding us what we want... I don't buy any video games or systems because I have to, I buy them because I want to... so just because "everyone else" is still doing it, doesn't mean that I have to keep doing it to keep up with them... I can keep up with them cheaply and legally on the PC, so they can play the Piracy Pity Violin for themselves all they want to, obviously it still isn't THAT MUCH of a problem for them, because they're still selling most PC ports of modern console games for ONLY $20 each... so if they're not selling enough at those prices, perhaps they should price them higher, so those that do sell return more money to them... because I'm certainly not gonna stop buying them, as long as they make them... and obviously I'm not the only person buying them, because plenty of new ones are still coming out every year... where there's a seller, there's a buyer... no seller, no buyer... so no PC port = no buyer here... I can't buy what they don't make, and I won't buy what they make for consoles, just because they choose to not port it to the PC... certainly not when I've spent $1000's on hardware to run PC ports... why spend $1000's more on consoles?

CHEAP GAMES GOOD... EXPENSIVE GAMES BAD... PC PORTS FOR THE WIN! this is why WII = WIN... WII = CHEAP... CHEAP = GOOD... EXPENSIVE = BAD

welcome to the new world economy... it's everyone's reality now... enjoy it... I certainly am... it's like the Great Crash all over again... ALL ON CLEARANCE!

I really think you should maybe seek some professional help. If you looked at the responses you got on this board, everyone agreed that you were the one out of line. Nobody agrees with you. The fact that you don't understand that everyone here is making fun of you is a sign that you aren't able to cope or process reality.

I did get a laugh from your line about them being afraid. Midway isn't afraid, just like all the other third party publishers who don't support Wii or PC aren't afraid. The Wii is a system that makes tons of money on hardware and software sales for Nintendo. The PC doesn't make money for anyone except publishers doing RTS, MMOs or first person shooters. Other companies know that to make money in most game genres, the PS3 and 360 are the market you must go after. Whether you want to admit it or not, most adult gamers are not Wii-only or even PC gamers. Similarly, fighting game fans own PS3 or 360, not the Wii or PC as their primary systems.

You also may not understand this, but whether or not you personally buy a game has very little impact on the bottom line of large developers. You are just a single crack-pot in a market of millions of gamers. Frankly, I think publishers would be best served by avoiding your guidance and preferences.

Contrary to your assertion, it's no more expensive to collect PS3 and Xbox 360 games than it is PC or Wii. PS3 and Xbox 360 games drop to $20 just like PC and Wii games do. If you're talking about brand new games, PC and Wii are usually $10 cheaper than PS3 and 360 games, but with sales and other discounts, the difference is even smaller. Your arguments are false and kinda sad. I wish you luck in life.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    So.. if we all go to the Midway boards there won't be any Iron Draggon?
    You know...you might be on to something there.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Midway may be stupid about some things but they are smart enough to know that half of the people who'd be interested in PC ports of any of their games (including MK vs DC) don't even have a system powerful enough to play it anyway.

You can spend less money on BOTH a brand new PS2 and a brand new PS3 (with a few games on top of it) than you would on a "current" PC that can actually play recent/new games and all the money sunk into upgrading it periodically and you'll still get a better gaming experience on the PS2 & PS3.

You buy a PC and within a year, you might need to upgrade to play the newest games. The second your PS3 is home and hooked up, you're done upgrading for 4-5 years.
    Last edited by bangtango; 01-27-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    As was said before, Mortal Kombat was previously ported to the original Game Boy of all platforms. Not to mention Game Gear and Sega Master System. Granted, those versions sucked, but if "it would suck" hasn't stopped them before (and Midway has a long history of shitty ports), why should it stop them now? Mortal Kombat Trilogy was even on the Game.com!
    Now, now. Porting (if you can even call it that) an original MK game (1-3) down to the GB, SMS/GG, and Game.com was/is far cheaper and requires far less of a team and resources than taking a game meant to play on a 360/PS3 and dumb it down to Wii specs.

Who said the Wii sucks at fighting games??? I played Mortal Kombat: Armageddon on my neighbor's Wii and I thought it only sucked a little bit.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

What was so bad about the first Mortal Kombat for Game Gear anyway and wasn't the Master System version basically the same thing?

A couple characters were missing and so were some of the stages but the game had pretty good graphics for an 8-bit version and had a blood code.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so in other words, they're AFRAID to make games for the Wii and PC now... and granted they should be afraid, in their situation, but what have they got to lose in doing so till the bitter end? going bankrupt faster?
    So theres this developer named Cliffy B who works for Epic. And he has stressed that his company will focus much less on pc ports because of the alarming rate of piracy. Thats why you won't be getting a pc port of Gears or War 2(among other games). And somehow I don't think Cliffy and Epic are scared of the pc.....they're just smart

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I really think you should maybe seek some professional help. If you looked at the responses you got on this board, everyone agreed that you were the one out of line. Nobody agrees with you. The fact that you don't understand that everyone here is making fun of you is a sign that you aren't able to cope or process reality.
    So theres this river in Egypt called.......
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, you admit that you are actually the ignorant one here, since the only PS3 and Xbox 360 games you know of are the ones that get ported to PC (ie: a fraction of their total libraries). Just wanted to clear that up.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flack, your post there was awesome. It brought the lawlz, hard! Regarding Flawless Rockality, beware, Activision may be listening. Dollars to donuts that phrase will pop up if you perfect a song in GH4.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

even after spending $1000's on hardware and hardware upgrades, I'm still getting nearly every racing game ever made for any of those systems for 2 or 3 times less paying full price on the day of release... this is how I'm able to continue spending $1000's on games for all the systems that I collect for...
    I fail to see how spending $1000s of dollars on a PC costs less than spending $700 on a PS3 and 360 ($600, if you get the Arcade version). Maybe I'm missing something here. Buying all three consoles will still cost you less than $1000. And if you buy a $1000 PC, you're not going to have a true gaming PC.

This isn't to mention the fact that the PC has far less big games this generation.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

apparently alot of you think that the point of my post was just another bitch session about this or that
    You know, it's one thing to support whatever console(s) you want. It's another entirely to feel you have to bludgeon everybody else with your choices at every possible opportunity.

For example, there's nothing wrong with asking "any plans for a Wii or a PC version?" if you stop there and say no more.

The bludgeoning/bitching happens when you feel you have to tell us *why* you want a Wii or a PC version, especially because it all has to do with why you hate the competition.

And don't complain about getting kicked off a forum you call fascist. If it's truly fascist why would you bother posting there in the first place?
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was all for a Wii port of the game, but my support pretty much ends there. The more you speak the less sense you make to me? Especially paying 1,000s on a PC stuff and acting like it's more frugal than buying a console? Even the most expensive PS3 would be cheaper and the game you want would become available.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

"FLAWLESS ROCKALITY!!!" Matt screams as the carnage continues to unfold.
    Someone remember this for the 2009 "Post of the Year" awards.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post
    I fail to see how spending $1000s of dollars on a PC costs less than spending $700 on a PS3 and 360 ($600, if you get the Arcade version). Maybe I'm missing something here. Buying all three consoles will still cost you less than $1000. And if you buy a $1000 PC, you're not going to have a true gaming PC.

This isn't to mention the fact that the PC has far less big games this generation.
    Yes, his logic makes my head hurt, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich View Post
    Now, now. Porting (if you can even call it that) an original MK game (1-3) down to the GB, SMS/GG, and Game.com was/is far cheaper and requires far less of a team and resources than taking a game meant to play on a 360/PS3 and dumb it down to Wii specs.
    Of course, virtually any Wii game takes more resources to develop than a Master System game. But have you actually seen MK vs. DC? It seriously does not look like anything that would be that difficult to port to Wii. We're not talking about MGS4 or Crysis or anything. I think it would "dumb down" to Wii relatively easily.

Who said the Wii sucks at fighting games??? I played Mortal Kombat: Armageddon on my neighbor's Wii and I thought it only sucked a little bit.
    I think the Wii is only good for fighting games if you have a Hori stick (or maybe a Classic Controller). But I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    What was so bad about the first Mortal Kombat for Game Gear anyway and wasn't the Master System version basically the same thing?

A couple characters were missing and so were some of the stages but the game had pretty good graphics for an 8-bit version and had a blood code.
    The graphics were fine, but it played poorly IMO. I don't think it works well with two buttons. The point wasn't to bash those versions of the game, it was just to note that the series has had its share of unlikely ports to inferior hardware in the past. That's very true outside of the MK series as well -- we could devote a whole topic to games that got downgraded ports to much inferior hardware, both successfully and unsuccessfully.
    Last edited by j_factor; 01-28-2009 at 12:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.