Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STADIUM EVENTS?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default STADIUM EVENTS?

I am just wondering why this game is considered to be so rare? Could someone give me some background info on this game that will explain why? I am sure there must be much harder NES games to acquire....is there?

I just can't believe how much people are willing to spend on ebay to get this game.

Thanks

Richie-Rich

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default s

Naturally, a game is rare because of a low production run(for almost all cases). So, to answer, you...well I guess I just did.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: STADIUM EVENTS?

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot1976
    I am sure there must be much harder NES games to acquire....is there?
    There are a few (US releases) that are as tough or tougher, but you're talking about about a dozen or so.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand why people pay so much for Stadium Events either. It's not like its the rarest NES cartridge out there. The Panesian adult titles and Myraid 6-in-1 easily have it beat in that department. Someone please explain. I've been out of the NES scene for a couple years would like to know what all the hype is about.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I've always thought of Stadium Events as the Chase the Chuckwagon of the NES world. There are games rarer, but that's the one everyone knows about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    I've always thought of Stadium Events as the Chase the Chuckwagon of the NES world. There are games rarer, but that's the one everyone knows about.
    Yeah Cap'n, I think you are right about that. Remember 4 or 5 years ago when Tengen Tetris was THE holy grail for NES collectors? Wait a couple years and I'm sure another NES title will take Stadium Events place.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default s

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12215

Here's a pretty good recent discussionon it

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Yeah Cap'n, I think you are right about that. Remember 4 or 5 years ago when Tengen Tetris was THE holy grail for NES collectors? Wait a couple years and I'm sure another NES title will take Stadium Events place.
    Stadium Events is the rarest Licensed NES game - period.

Some of the unlicensed US titles are as difficult to find (if not more so; ie Myriad 6-in-1), but that is the answer to your question.

For a brief history (from Portnoyd):

"In Japan, Bandai made the Family Fun Fitness Pad, and three games for it: Atheltic World, Stadium Events, and Street Cop. Atheltic World was the pack in with the FFF pad, SE was the standalone game, and Street Cop came much later. Bandai then made a push to sell this stuff in the US, and primarily sold the setup in Woolworths.

That's when NOA stepped in and said we want that. So NOA bought the setup. The FFF pad became the Power Pad, Stadium Events became World Class Track Meet, Athletic World stayed the same, save for a minor label change, and Street Cop was released later as a Power Pad game.

Now here's where things get hazy. NOA supposedly recalled all FFF pads and SE stock. Supposedly, only 2000 or 5000 of these made it out the door. (2000 was the supposed number Jason Wilson got when he asked NOA - using his game magazine credentials, he was able to talk to someone inside.). Now, were the games and pads destroyed or just interned to a warehouse for the rest of eternity? No one knows. If you ever see a mass flood of this stuff brand new, you know someone found the warehouse.

As far as rarity, this whole situation shoots it up. A short production run + destroyed/hidden product = rare!

Pricing has dropped considerably since they hit. Before the hit, they were going for $30-$40. No one had any idea. Then, one auction threw it to the $250 range. Two people, Austin "D_N_G" Bell, and Richard "htwlgthm@bellsouth.net" Steinbomer went at it and knocked each other up to $250 . Then, there was the drought. No NTSC SEs for at least a year. And at last, one hit. BAM! $400. Paid by Dan "nesguy123" Bloom. (Dan eventually sold his... to guess who? .... Me!)

Luckily, the price has been dropping to a stable $200. They have come much more frequently, once the word got out they were hot stuff. The box and manual are considerably rarer than the game, being as there about 5-6 known complete copies of the game, 2 of which are sealed.

Now, an important primer! NTSC (US) vs PAL (Euro) Stadium Events! Don't get swindled! The PAL version is way easier to find than the NTSC, and is worth much less."

When you consider that many NES games have met with an untimely demise over the last decade plus, the odds of you finding an NTSC copy is very slim. Hence, the bling-bling...

Personally, I have a MINT copy of the NTSC cart and a MINT original instruction manual. I won't say how much they cost me, but let's just say it's the most that I have EVER paid for a game & manual.

Hope this helps,
    Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What if it comes with the non-Nintendo Family Fun Fitness pad? Is it much rarer in that case?
    ________
    New mexico medical marijuana dispensaries
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure, Stadium Events is the rarest LICENSED nes cart, but not the rarest one overal. Why are people spending mega bucks on it when several others have it beat in terms of rarity? Thats what I don't understand.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I don't understand is why people pay so much for a crappy game they can get for a dollar, just with a different label.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Sure, Stadium Events is the rarest LICENSED nes cart, but not the rarest one overal. Why are people spending mega bucks on it when several others have it beat in terms of rarity? Thats what I don't understand.
    Since when did rarity equal price?

dave

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    Since when did rarity equal price?

dave
    ...hence my CTCW compairson.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So my cousins wifes friends cousin has a copy of Stadium Events that he is going to send to me.

1,000,000 -1 odds this will actually pan out.

I ain't holdin my breath. Its probably Athletic World. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

What if it comes with the non-Nintendo Family Fun Fitness pad? Is it much rarer in that case?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=41047

Anybody recognize the bidder here?

So my cousins wifes friends cousin has a copy of Stadium Events that he is going to send to me.
    A promise like that and 35 cents gets you a cup of cofee. Don't hold your breath.

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Willing to bet that pad is the PAL version, but if it's the NTSC, good for you Joe!

Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How can you tell if the pad is PAL or NTSC?!? I was under the impression the only way one can is from the actual box.. but the actual product is identical..

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by leonk
    How can you tell if the pad is PAL or NTSC?!? I was under the impression the only way one can is from the actual box.. but the actual product is identical..
    You can't. :00000000 You *need* the box to tell the difference. Hence why I didn't bid. Granted, that it was from NJ may be a good sign that it's NTSC, but you can't be sure. I don't have it yet, solely for this reason. I'm *that* anal retentive.

dave

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Right, they're identical. So why would anyone care? It's the same thing being packed into a different box. You're not being anal retentive, you're being silly.

Anyway, the only reason I bid on the pad is because I plan on selilng the cart and the pad as a package, which I believe is worth more than the two pieces sold separately. We shall see soon enough!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I wish you luck on the sale. I don't know how many people even know the FFF exists, so you may turn a few heads and wrangle in some suckers thinking this is the one and only pad in existence.

And I'm not silly! Just anal retentive.

dave