Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: collecting SNES games...with or without box

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default collecting SNES games...with or without box

I'm considering getting a bit more hardcore into collecting. I grew up with the NES and SNES, and already have a large number of Squaresoft games, loose. Most with manuals.

I'm kind of obsessive about quality, and I feel like trying to acquire CIB games is an uphill battle, because of the box quality. The boxes are so fragile, and easily damaged. Personally, I feel that the cartridge and manual (and any maps if applicable) are the most important aspects (to me at least).

As with any collection, the fragile items have the potential of really varying value. So I realize a perfect box would really help long term value. But... I'd love to hear some other opinions on this. It seems a lot easier to acquire a lone cartridge, and a loan manual... than a loan empty box. Or be on the lookout for loan manuals, if you want to 'upgrade' the quality of your old one.

Thanks.
    -
    Kyle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

while I collect most systems boxed complete, SNES is the exception. I collect them as they come, but add a bare cart to the collection from time to time. I have, without focusing the system, got about 400 carts, with about 120 of them boxed. For me personally, it is a much harder uphill road to collect snes games in boxes, but it does look nice. Also, SNES bare carts take up less space, that is why I went that way.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd actually rather have the boxes than the manuals and maps. It's for display purposes, obviously. Just looks cooler on a shelf. I also take em as they come, but I'm starting to get to the point where I have almost every game I need for the SNES (my scope is fairly limited, I collect RPGs and any other game that appeals to me, and most games don't), so I'm starting to want to get boxes for my loosies.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for both of your thoughts.
    The 'display purposes' is a good point, and here personal preference comes into play. If display purposes was important to me, I'd probably be more tempted to waste endless amounts of money on sealed games.

I wonder if we could do a poll on this, or if one already exists?

For me, going after the loose cartridge in mint condition, manual, map, and strategy guides would be my focus over trying to maintain a fragile box.
    -
    Kyle

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cart only. The boxes are simply too difficult to find in collector quality condition, and carry a high price. Japanese SFC games, on the other hand, are much easier to find complete and not expensive in general.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think personal preference plays the biggest role. If you're a gamer first, you obviously want manuals, maps, etc. If you're a collector first, then display is probably your highest priority and value is judged accordingly with each aspect being taken into consideration when determining the price you're willing to pay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My thought, although I haven't actually done so yet, is that I will buy the American version of the cartridge, and then the Japanese complete-in-box, as long as it's the cheaper solution. It usually is, and then I've got both versions, and one is CIB.

For example, Earthbound on SNES. I could either pay around $300 for a CIB American version, or I could spend $90 for the American cartridge and $40 for the Japanese complete-in-box; added up, it costs less, I have both language versions, and I have a complete copy.

I intend to start running a SNES/SFC collection as soon as I round out my NES/Famicom collection enough to make me happy.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Are you looking to have a musuem, or just some good games to play?

One thing to consider is that collecting boxes causes storage issues because of the additional space needed. Loose cartridges are easier to pop in and play, and there is no worry about damaging the boxes when you get them out. Unless you store the boxes somewhere without the games in them, but that brings us back to the space issue. You'll also save money, as you have already mentioned.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But see there's the other thing, and I guess this might apply more towards N64 games, but I still think is relevant to SNES ones: The boxes make identification of games easier. I don't have to hunt around through stacks of loose games to find the one I want. Plus the shelving I have dwarves those tiny little carts. I mean, sure, I can stack em up instead but... I guess for me the box is more the way to go only b/c I'm not attempting to get every SNES game. I think my collection of SNES games ends at around 30.

I don't see the need for a manual or map only because manuals tend to not tell you much of anything, and gamefaqs is bound to be more detailed than whatever a producer decided to toss into a box. This isn't always true (Phantasy Star games' manuals are invaluable since the names of spells are meaningless just about), but it's usually true. I DO have quite a few manuals for games, but I've yet to crack open any of them. Maybe some FPS on the 360 will have to scratching my head looking at the manual to figure out how to strafe/aim & shoot/climb a flipping wall/take your pick, but not something on the SNES.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) Speed Racer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are clear storage cases available for SNES carts that have clear sleeves which can hold custom printed inserts of the box art. Here's one I have for the Super Mario RPG.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The collector first vs. gamer first brings up a good point.

Final Fantasy II and III (US) changed my life, so I'm definitely a gamer first.

If you're a collector first, and want to primarily put games on display, this gives the sealed game market some points.

I could personally afford to invest in sealed games if they were treated as an investment. What does that mean? It means if I spend $2500 on the sealed perfect Final Fantasy III on ebay, I would want to have confidence in its value rising in 20 to 30 years. I could afford to 'invest' in them but I cannot afford to buy them as simply a hobby. I think a lot of people have this opinion, which is why sealed game collecting is a weird area. People want to have fun with game collecting. People want to enjoy it and relive their childhood. However when the price demand is so great, it squeezes the fun out of it and invites both stress. These were all thoughts before I decided to start collecting, and why I decided to stay completely away from sealed game collecting.

I am definitely a gamer first, but I am also a bit obsessive. I feel if I go the complete box route, that temptation to get into sealed game collecting will be too great. I will want my boxes to be perfect.

In my opinion, going after mint manuals, carts, maps, and strategy guides is the safest bet for both gaming, usability, storage, and low cost for investment. I know I can keep the manuals/maps/guides safe without being sealed eternally in some air tight hard plastic case.
    -
    Kyle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Collect however you want. Keep things like cost, storage and playability of the game in mind and just have fun!
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

All of my snes games are complete - but that is mainly due to the fact that I started collecting when the format was alive - and I had a good friend managing a used game store so I could get maps, manuals and boxes when they came in without having to buy the whole mess. I am not sure what I would go after if I had to rebuild the collection (around 250 or so - with all the main (and most of the lesser) rpgs). With gameboys (which I started collecting fairly late - I am content with the game and the manual - box is neat if I can get it, but that is not often terribly practical. So I might well do that with snes too.)

I do store the boxes, maps, manuals and games separately given the nature of the boxes and the nuisance of removing (and adding wear on) the contents from them.

I keep the boxes in footlockers in storage (since I generally don't have any pressing need for them), the games in pull out storage drawers (the ones made specifically for SNES games), the manuals in a tin decorative box and the maps/posters are in flat vinyl holders so both sides (where applicable)
    can be seen and they don't get damaged folding and unfolding.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

If your only focused on collecting for one system (SNES) I'd go for the box as often as you can. If you find a certain box is much tougher to find or inordinately expensive settle for the clear plastic storge cases (anyone have a link to find these reasonable priced?).

I just like having lots of games. I'll go for the complete one if it does not significantly increase the cost. Since most games I buy will likely retain their value I can later sell them and upgrade to a complete one with no worries, just more work...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can see the point about buying a japanese complete set of a game, and a US cart, because of prices. I only went that way with Final Fantasy 6 (3), though, because personally I find the NTSC box awful. The Japanese box looks so much better.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'll get both. If it's a game I want and I can find it mostly complete at a decent price, I'll get it. If not, I start with the cart and eventually get the manual (a must-have) and possibly the box later.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeh, I'll probably end up doing the same with the FF's.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I don't care for the boxes for any cartridge system, because I store all the games in drawers. Keeps them cleaner.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mainly go for cart only games, only buying boxed and complete copies if I come across a good deal.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

I have about 40 SNES games, and only 2 are complete.
    Complete only collecting definitely makes this hobby a lot more expensive, and I only go for completes if I can find them cheap.