Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best classic golf games?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default best classic golf games?

Ok ok, ive noticed in my old age of 26, im starting to get a fondness for the game of Golf. I played a lil when I was in high school, but havent played since. Im starting to play again, and it got me thinking, whats your idea of the best old school video golf game? No video game compares to the real thing of course, but playing golf video games, is actually good practice for the real thing when it comes to shot selection and what not. First one that comes to my mind is Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf for Genesis, GREAT game, matter of fact, just played a round. =)
    Show your skillz! The Name That NES Tune contest is here! Check it out!
    http://www.classichighscores.com

The Current State of my NES Collection... Updated 3/16/03
    http://members.aol.com/rattnroll1984/nescollection.html

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Links 386 . Had it on my 486 sx-16 back in 94 I think. Best golf game ever.......

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll second your choice of Arnold Palmer Golf for Genesis. This is the best console golf I've played ever. Shortly after this game, I feel Golf games started becoming too difficult to interface with. Arnold Palmer is so simple, and smooth, I just love a pick up and play Golf game. I'll also recommend GOLF for NES 8-bit. It's a launch title I think, but it sure did play well, and it was simple too. Also, maybe give POWER GOLF(TG-16) a try, it's a cheap game to pick up, not a bad golf game at all either.

I bought PGA Tour 97 back in the early days of PSX, and I just couldn't get into it, it was too damn hard. Good graphics, but the interface on these new golf games just detracts from the fun factor IMO. Too much simulation, not enough fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    Links 386 . Had it on my 486 sx-16 back in 94 I think. Best golf game ever.......
    second that

if u want a modern one get the latest links

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

One of my areas of expertice here...I've played most of the golf games it seems.

Here are a few of the really good ones...

NES - NES Open...the successor to the original NES golf game, lots of shot options, still very fast and fun to play.

Genesis - Arnold Palmer is good, I really like the PGA Tour series up to #3 (don't forget the European Tour game, very good courses)...PGA 97 on the Genny is wretched!!!

Neo-Geo - Neo Turf Masters - Isn't this one of the rarer home carts?? Too bad, it's a great game.

Commodore 64 - Leader Board (all editions) - Probably my favorite golf game ever. Wonderful sense of timing, great course designs...I believe I still hold the record on this by shooting a 51 (I have shot a 49 before...)

PC - I agree on the Links games, I have Links 2001 LS...great value if you can still find it. New one's still $50 and I'm not ready to upgrade yet... You must play Devil's Island!!!

PSX / PS2 - Hot Shots Golf - Real throwback to the early golf games as far as speed, and great style.

And if you can find it, there was an accessory for the Genesis (or PC...or both, I don't remember) that had a short club and a sensor, so you could play the PGA games using a real golf swing!!
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well there is a topic about that golf controller, it's for snes, at least ALSO for snes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think I remember a funny riff from an old Next Gen review for a Saturn golf game, something like, "Nobody wants to be stuck reviewing the golf games." Funny stuff, because golf games haven't really changed at all in 20 years. The whole idea of timing a power bar for your shots has been around older than dirt. About the only thing that's changed over time is the graphics.

I'd have to say the best classic golf game was Leaderboard Golf. That's when the whole video golf thing was set in stone. And, yeah, it played a mean game of golf; which is probably why I'm so hard on every golf title to come since.

If you own a Saturn, you should dig up Pebble Beach Golf Links. This was one of the Saturn launch titles, and was pretty much ignored, but it really was a cool game, just for all the little extras added in, like the wonderfully mellow music (basically elevator music, but it works), and the "coffee break" (where the game would pause after a video sequence after the 8th hold).

The best thing about this game was Craig Stadler, who would appear on-screen when you and your friends play against him. The great thing is that he would act like a complete jerk, who wouldn't let a hole go by without reminding everyone that he was a PRO. "You need to practice a LOT MORE!" Damn jerk. I had a lot more fun with that one than I should have.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, just got playing some NES Open golf too, great game as well. Just realized another game I was quite partial too years ago, Lee Trevinos Fighting Golf!! Oh yeah...... Always was a fun of the more simple golf games, and not the ones that were immersive like the PGA series. THey were GREAT games dont get me wrong, but all I want to do is play and move on to the next hole, without all the stuff in the middle. Arnold Palmer gets two thumps up for that one...
    Show your skillz! The Name That NES Tune contest is here! Check it out!
    http://www.classichighscores.com

The Current State of my NES Collection... Updated 3/16/03
    http://members.aol.com/rattnroll1984/nescollection.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original Pga-Tour for the genesis is a great game, lots of fun with a couple of friends.

Great avatar Daniel Thomas....One of my favorite shooters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

original PGA tour for genny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

must add tho, the original hot shots (psx) rocked for me. i only had the demo, but it has 9 holes and i play it like mad.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Ah, I forgot the Saturn golf games!! Yes, Pebble Beach is very good, I highly recommend Valora Valley Golf also if you like strange courses.

There are similar games for the 3DO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Don't forget Ninja Golf for the Atari 7800.
    Now there is a game which is screaming sequal.

Tiger Woods and Jakie Chans Ninja Golf II

Adam

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Golden Tee rules all, too bad someone can't port this to a home system, and manufacture a coupler that allows the 5200 Trak-ball to be used on a next gen system for this game!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Well, there is a PSX version of Golden Tee...I wonder if the Nyko Trackball would work on it???

I play the PC version quite a bit....I'm no good at it, but I like the game.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23
    Well, there is a PSX version of Golden Tee...I wonder if the Nyko Trackball would work on it???

I play the PC version quite a bit....I'm no good at it, but I like the game.
    I had absolutely no idea Golden Tee came home. I didn't think they would bother since the Trackball concept isn't necessarily the hot ticket on consoles anymore. The 5200 trakball would be perfect for this game, with its large sturdy construction, would help keep an arcade feel. You can get consistently good scores on Golden Tee if you know where the shortcuts are, I got in the -20's consistently. I spent way too much money on that game, and the arcade owner zapped the high scores because he said my high scores were keeping people from playing it. Dickhead.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When the Genesis was released I spent many an hour with Arnold Palmer. It was great. I also really liked Neo Turf Masters for the NGPC. Wish I never sold that one.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I had absolutely no idea Golden Tee came home.
    Yeah, the PSX version is ok, I know if you have an EB Games that has it...it's $10 used...you use both analog sticks to do the swing...left stick for backswing, right stick for the rest IIRC...awkward as hell.

There is also a click option that I didn't like too much either...

Go for the PC version (if you can still find it...its a few years old) mouse control is very nice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NES Open was a great game! It's real name should be "Mario Golf 1". Yes I know that's mario in the first NES golf as well, but in NES Open, there is no mistaking it. Love it

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstarhero
    The 5200 trakball would be perfect for this game, with its large sturdy construction, would help keep an arcade feel.
    I think the problem is (as I learned from Mr. Cowgill) .. apparently the 5200 trakball design isn't "really" a real trakball in the way it's mechanics work. It was made for 5200 games to approximate the 5200 analog controls and thus also be compatible with 5200 joystick-only games (acting like an auto centering joystick)... So basically it's output differs quite a bit from the expected output of your average everyday arcade trackball. So it probably doesn't have the type of control needed for Golden Tee's drives and putts..... I think. But who knows :P

Hmmmm.. Arnold Palmer Golf eh. I avoided that title like the PLAGUE when the Genesis came out. But maybe now I'll give it a try! Thanks for the tip

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas
    I think I remember a funny riff from an old Next Gen review for a Saturn golf game, something like, "Nobody wants to be stuck reviewing the golf games." Funny stuff, because golf games haven't really changed at all in 20 years. The whole idea of timing a power bar for your shots has been around older than dirt. About the only thing that's changed over time is the graphics.
    sorry to say so but ur absolutely false here

there have been several new control systems tested, afaik there are 3 different systems to chose from in the latest links version and mhh i think sierra even tried one or two ther methods

and with the argumentation that only graphics changed so nothing has changed u could also say soccer games haven't changed, or even any other sport games

besides the controlls, there have been several fantasy/unrealistic golf games, so thats another "change"

of course the realistic golf games haven't changed that much, because it was one of the sport genres that first had a realistic game