Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: FC Mobile II and Sega Digital Pocket - New Handhelds from Hyperkin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    Send me a PM with your e-mail, I'll send you the latest sample pictures.
    Will do.

Im glad there is a Genesis/Megadrive portable in the works. It seemed for the longest time that it was being ignored as a viable clone system. The Sega Nomad is just... not good enough for regular use. Its just a massive battery destroyer. The only use I would get out of it would be plugged into the wall-- Then why wouldnt I just bring out my Genesis 3? lol.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I need some information and I know you fanatics will probably know.

Besides Virtual Racing, which games have compatibility problems with the SEGA clones? I got the retroGEN console in this morning and I need to do some testing. One person told me that some games have sound problems on newer clones but could not provide me with a list.

btw the boxed in controllers will not be wireless and will be compatible with your original controllers.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tofu, I'm curious about something: how deep is Sega into endorsing the retroGen? Will it come out with a Sega logo/Seal of approvement on it, or are they only giving their veiled support?

And, most important: since you have some back up from Sega...does their contract with Tec Toy here in Brazil (they license them to make consoles/use games, but don't apply their logo anymore) stop the retroGen from being sold here (I mean, considering that our country is even a viable market )?
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Veiled support, expect no marketing on the part of SEGA. All we're going to get is a big SEGA logo on the product.

retroGEN can be marketed outside of North America but we'd have to go back and renegotiate. What's the market like in South America? Any chance you're in the business or know a good distributor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Another question, the FC Mobile 2 seems boxier than the original. I'm assuming all the pictures we've seen thusfar are prototypes?
    I noticed that too. I actually like to look of the first better.

Also, who must the a and b buttons be on a diagnal angle? Why can't they be straight accross like on the NES controllers? The NES Max started this nonsense.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Tofu, can I send you a PM with my email address so you can send me the pics?

I believe Tec Toy is basically the Brazillian division of Sega that specializes in Sega-approved Master System clones.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Veiled support, expect no marketing on the part of SEGA. All we're going to get is a big SEGA logo on the product.

retroGEN can be marketed outside of North America but we'd have to go back and renegotiate. What's the market like in South America? Any chance you're in the business or know a good distributor?
    Unfortunately, I'm not. I asked because, as Tupin said, currently the Genesis and the Master System are STILL in production, made by Tec Toy. However, they have no cart slot, and the price is abusive; the Genesis sells for almost 300 reais (our monetary unit), which is a LOT for an outdated system.

I can't give you any specifics about the retrogaming marketing here...but I DO know that the Genesis is still a beloved system - even by non-gamers. Besides, game collecting is starting to flourish around here - and I know there are other brazilian gamers in this very forum. In MY opinion, a fairly priced Genesis compatible console with a cart slot would sell at least decently. But, since Tec Toy holds the license, I don't know if it's possible.

I can, however, get in contact with a guy who's a big collector here. He must havea much more solid view of the brazilian retro game market. I'll see if I can get some feedback from him.

P.S.: I guess the big SEGA logo by itself is already a big deal
    Last edited by thom_m; 02-06-2009 at 03:02 PM.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tofu, can I send you a PM with my email address so you can send me the pics?
    Sure, that's no problem.

Be forewarned however that the retroGEN Console prototype I received today is making its debut at Toy Fair in New York. So any pictures I send you are just copies of what we've already passed out at CES. They are not to be widely distributed. I think the only difference is we added "Licensed by SEGA" near the top... because a big fat logo wasn't clear enough.

SEGA has allowed other companies to manufacture handhelds before with games built in but to the best of my knowledge this is the first time they've allowed a cartridge handheld. As for Tec-Toy and what they do... I have no information about them and what licenses they hold.

Also, who must the a and b buttons be on a diagnal angle? Why can't they be straight accross like on the NES controllers? The NES Max started this nonsense.
    I don't see how angled buttons would be a bad thing. What's the advantage of horizontal buttons?

Cherry (Level 1) videogametrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I look forward to seeing the FC Mobile 2 and the Genesis handheld. In the next issue of VGTrader Mike from Collectors Cards and Games reviewed the FC Mobile.

Tom
    ========================
    Video Game Trader Magazine & Price Guide. Keeping classic video games... alive!

Subscribe for 4 quarterly issues only $29.99. Subscribe @ www.VGTraderMag.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't do marketing, that's another department. I hope to someday be the guy hyping up everything positive about our products and flatly denying any problems that evil baby-stomping journalists make up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think you need to reconsider your button layout. A game like Super Mario Brothers isn't going to work well on that thing. Either kill the turbo buttons and not make it diagonal, or modify it in the following manner so games that require keeping B pressed to do something such as run while using A for action commands, are actually playable.

Your current layout is almost as flawed as having A and B backwards, like your prior handheld was. The state its in now, I'll be skipping over it and I think you'll find people become pretty discontented with it once they buy one and realize the button layout doesn't make sense for many games.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-06-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    I think you need to reconsider your button layout. A game like Super Mario Brothers isn't going to work well on that thing. Either kill the turbo buttons and not make it diagonal, or modify it in the following manner so games that require keeping B pressed to do something such as run while using A for action commands, are actually playable.

Your current layout is almost as flawed as having A and B backwards, like your prior handheld was. The state its in now, I'll be skipping over it and I think you'll find people become pretty discontented with it once they buy one and realize the button layout doesn't make sense for many games.
    I am no fan of diagnal buttons, but if they absolutely MUST have them, they did it right. They have the first button (B), while the second button (A) is slightly above and to the right. This is consistant with the first NES controller to use diagnals, the NES Max. Your way features the buttons in the correct order, but diagnals backwards.

NES Max:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Either of these would suffice.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm a fan of the first one Sonicwolf posted. THAT would be my preferred layout.

Anything but putting the turbo buttons directly above the normal ones, that would suck.

But yeah, keep turbo. But what about using switches/sliders for turbo rather than having two more buttons? Would that work? If you do that, just do it the way you have it now, but with the switches directly above the buttons so the buttons can be horizontal.
    Last edited by Tupin; 02-06-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic Wolf sent me a e-mail earlier this afternoon on this very subject. My personal view is to kill off the turbo buttons but I do like Sonic Wolf's idea:

Attachment 2110

I've also reviewed the Nintendo Max controller and it does intrigue me. How's the D-Pad on the Nintendo Max, was it any good?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'm mostly observing but I had a few questions out of curiosity.

1. If the original FC Mobile took AA batteries, can we expect that the FC Mobile 2 will? I may be in the extreme minority but that'd be my preference.

2. Does this mean the price would drop on the original FC Mobile unit or would it remain about the same?

This would help me decide which of the two to buy. I think the original button layout is a crock but I wouldn't buy either unit to play Super Mario Bros (have a better version of it on GBC anyway) or Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

I'd mostly be playing stuff like Dragon Warrior, Pirates, Maniac Mansion, Double Dragon and River City Ransom, which I can manage to do with backwards buttons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

lol. I submitted the picture too just a few minutes ago.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    Either of these would suffice.
    Again, that's backwards diagnal from other NES controllers that were diagnal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

What about having the buttons horizontal and having turbo switches/sliders above them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I've also reviewed the Nintendo Max controller and it does intrigue me. How's the D-Pad on the Nintendo Max, was it any good?
    You either love it or hate it. I was one of the kids in 1988/1989 that loved it.