Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Retro Game Challenge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    I hate to ask this, but do you have a source for that statement?

I've seen them state that sales were disappointing and that it would have to continue to be a slow but steady seller (Such as Boom Blox on the Wii) to warrant localizing and releasing the sequel, making things like discussing this at forums such as this one and other ways to raise awareness and sales of the game important.

But I've never seen a definitive answer stating it wasn't going to happen or heard anything about the sales of the original game after a disappointing opening few weeks of sales.
    I read it a couple places, not even sure where (Siliconera IIRC there was an interview). Same as others stated with sales, and that it wouldn't even be considered because of "dissapointing sales".
    My gaming blog retro/new...mainly TG/PCE based
    http://turbomasters.blogspot.com/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Omg I don't believe I did that(got to lv 8 with not even dyeing once, and only lost 1 life on lv 8 in haggle man).

PS. Lol the old school megaman glitch is in haggleman(don't know if that's posted in the magazines, since I didn't choose to cheat), but ofcourse it only works on the unkillable chump(however that is helpful on that annoying floor 6 stage).

Update: Woot woot, just got upto Star Prince, and omg It's just like the shooter aspect of "The Guardian Legend", infact the 1st boss is basically a dirrect copy of the first boss in that game, It's great.
    Last edited by Zoltor; 01-05-2010 at 01:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Update: Woot woot, just got upto Star Prince, and omg It's just like the shooter aspect of "The Guardian Legend", infact the 1st boss is basically a dirrect copy of the first boss in that game, It's great.
    Compile made games that were straight shooters, y'know. Guardian Legend doesn't have the caravan-style gameplay (shoot enemies faster to make more appear); as far as I know, those stages are basically "shoot random stuff thrown at you." Which boss do you mean, by the way? The first boss in Star Prince reminds me of...something else entirely, not sure what, but seems more outta Blazing Lazers (for example).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Compile made games that were straight shooters, y'know. Guardian Legend doesn't have the caravan-style gameplay (shoot enemies faster to make more appear); as far as I know, those stages are basically "shoot random stuff thrown at you." Which boss do you mean, by the way? The first boss in Star Prince reminds me of...something else entirely, not sure what, but seems more outta Blazing Lazers (for example).
    Hm, I haven't really noticed that, I believe in this game, monsters just come out at a constant speed(I could be wrong, as I'm just playing them to unlock more games right now, but I doubt it).

This is pretty much a carbon copy of the shooter section's gameplay in The Guadian Legend, the only differance is the Shield/special weapon packs, which kind've needed to be added, since It's just the shooter part.

Actually the Mid Bosses(my bad), and the main boss reminds me of another boss from that game.

PS. Well I'm up to Haggleman 2(Rally King SP was pretty easy, the last challenge was alittle hard, but that's it, which was a nice breather). I want to play Guardia Quest so bad, hopefully It's the next game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God. This entire thing was so good. DS GOTY. It didn't deserve to wind up so deep under the radar.

Not to ruin anything, but Guadia Quest seemed to slow the pace of the entire thing down. It's not that it is bad, but I remember playing through a bunch of quick paced games and then suddenly BLAM! RPG grinding. I'm not sure there would have been any time better to pull it out though. :P

They need to localize the show and hopefully drive up interest (so we can get the damn sequel!).
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sosage View Post
    God. This entire thing was so good. DS GOTY. It didn't deserve to wind up so deep under the radar.

Not to ruin anything, but Guadia Quest seemed to slow the pace of the entire thing down. It's not that it is bad, but I remember playing through a bunch of quick paced games and then suddenly BLAM! RPG grinding. I'm not sure there would have been any time better to pull it out though. :P

They need to localize the show and hopefully drive up interest (so we can get the damn sequel!).
    Yea, for a plublisher as new as XSEED, they really need to have real advertisment, and dam they should set up some forums on their site as well.

PS. Update: Omg no they didn't, the last game(Happleman 3) is a Nija Gaiden Clone(lol so good infact, It's better then the original Ninja Gaiden games), damn if XSEED ever heard of advertisement, I say Retro Game Challenge deserved Game of the year(on DS) for sure.
    Last edited by Zoltor; 01-05-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hm, I haven't really noticed that, I believe in this game, monsters just come out at a constant speed(I could be wrong, as I'm just playing them to unlock more games right now, but I doubt it).
    You are wrong. Trust me, I've played this game long enough to know.

This is pretty much a carbon copy of the shooter section's gameplay in The Guadian Legend, the only differance is the Shield/special weapon packs, which kind've needed to be added, since It's just the shooter part.
    Again, no. Visually maybe there's some slight similarity, but the bonuses and scoring tricks I don't believe Guardian Legend has at all. Some of the bonuses date as far back as Star Soldier.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

PS. Update: Omg no they didn't, the last game(Happleman 3) is a Nija Gaiden Clone(lol so good infact, It's better then the original Ninja Gaiden games.)
    Sorry but Haggleman 3 is nowhere near close to even as good as the Ninja Gaiden titles. This is not opinion, this is fact. I did like it at first, but it got kind of to the point where it started to drag on and I just wanted to finish the game.

Also. Haggleman 1 and 2 are badass. I'd say they're sort of like Bubble Bobble mixed with Mario, or a side scrolling platformer version of Pirate Ship Higemaru, or kind of like Flicky. The first Haggleman was hardly even difficult and only a few stages while the second adds more of everything to the game. More enemies, more stages, higher difficulty.
    --

Whoever gets the second tell me how import friendly it is. Ed missed a good deal on it so might not get it for awhile.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Sorry but Haggleman 3 is nowhere near close to even as good as the Ninja Gaiden titles. This is not opinion, this is fact.
    Ok, while I kind of agree with you that Haggleman 3 isn't quite as good as the Ninja Gaiden games, I do think they are two pretty different games. Also, it is indeed an opinion. I don't know how you can possibly think that saying "A is better than B" can be a fact. Just had to get that off of my chest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

A game can be better than another game regardless of opinion. Technically Brigandine Grand Edition is better than Brigandine Legend of Forsena. I love both games but I like LoF better than GE.

Final Fantasy on FF Origins is also technically better than the original, aside from load times. The damage ratio is more accurate and your attacks don't get the plus or minus damage variable you'll see in the original. It's also just as difficult in hard mode aside from being able to equip each type of equipment(as there are five,) rather than a max of four and you can still set it up to allow you to miss an already defeated enemy. In my opinion the original is the better game. But if you really wanted to get technical about it, my opinion would be wrong.

Ninja Gaiden has a bunch of well done levels with great level design, a somewhat good story on the first two games, amazing music, great boss battles. Haggleman 3 plays like Kid Icarus, Metroid, or a newer CV. It has an okay level design but it just branches out multiple paths that lead to nothing worth bothering to get. The game itself is forgettable and while you may go back to it, it's nothing like Ninja Gaiden where you'll probably repeatedly go back to it.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-05-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ninja Gaiden games beat Haggleman 3 for the simple fact you don't have to grind out nuts. Eheh.

Anyway, the first Haggleman games seem to share more in common with Ninja-Kun (arcade / FC, got 110,550 on the arcade original via MAME just now, fun stuff) and apparently the Mega Man games (for the story, not that I could tell as I haven't played Mega Man games).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NG over HM3, but I think when we start debating this, the point of RGC is lost. The game is a big tongue in cheek homage and isn't looking to outdo anything. It's a love letter, not so much an email saying, "I can be just as good as you". ;P
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

I wasn't trying to argue that one is better than the other, because like I said, the two aren't really all that similar except in appearance. My point is, you can't say that one is factually better. It is entirely based on opinion, and anyone who argues otherwise doesn't understand the meaning of the two words.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Bumping up this thread, as it's apparently the only thread we have on DP related to this show.

First off, he'll be in America for a fan meet, in three days: http://tinycartridge.com/post/978840...o-in-la-friday

Secondly, Kotaku has been "airing" episodes of the show, this week's episode is the last one I think unless they buy more. Meanwhile, you can find more and less condensed episodes fan subtitled "out there".

Thirdly, there has been SOME kind of progress on a fan translation for the second game, but nothing particularly specific has been thrown out yet.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

What's too bad with the Kotaku sub is that they only include Arino's challenges. Sure, it's the heart of the show, but I also love all the other segments like "You should visit this game center".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are many places to get the episodes, heck I used to watch them on youtube but that doesn't seem easily found anymore.

Here's where I currently get them: http://www.gaki-no-tsukai.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2653

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Agreed on both points there.

So supposedly some of the guys from SA are going to the event and plan to give him some stuff, including a copy of Startropics. That would be awesome if he played that for the show. Although I wonder how the drama would go down of not having the letter available.

I wish I knew about this event sooner, I would have sent in a copy of Deja Vu or something for him. Would have been neat to get a big box of US games for him to take home.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got the game back in July after they started showing the translated episodes on Kotaku, I was enjoying it, although I was most excited about the RPG game, but by the time I got that unlocked it was shelved because I decided I was trying to play too many games at once.

I'm sure I'll go back to it eventually though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's a spoiler-free tip: when you try to play Guadia Quest in free play, you'll have to start over and lose all the progress you may have made while playing it in the main mode. So don't bother spending more time than you need grinding and levelling up.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    Here's a spoiler-free tip: when you try to play Guadia Quest in free play, you'll have to start over and lose all the progress you may have made while playing it in the main mode. So don't bother spending more time than you need grinding and levelling up.
    That's in free play though. In the regular game mode, the final challenge on all games is to clear the game, so you won't see the ending of Retro Game Challenge until you finish all games on the normal mode.