Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who chooses which xbox games are given BC for the 360?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default who chooses which xbox games are given BC for the 360?

Obviously its Microsoft who has the final say - but how do they choose?

I ask because I noticed today that Capcom vs SNK 2 does NOT work, but the gem the Guy Game works perfectly.

Is there anything that can be done to get non-BC working games to work on the 360?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

If I recall, it's at least partly based just on what games happen to work in their emulator. If The Guy Game or Barbie Horse Adventures happens to play as a result of what they did to make other, more popular games work they'll mark them compatible; they don't necessarily design the emulator for those games specifically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's nothing that can be done to get a non working title to play. The emulator is programmed to either run or not run titles, you're not given any choice in the matter.

Something like The Guy Game works because in the process of getting something people do want to play compatible, it makes titles that operate similarly from a programming standpoint possible to be compatible. If your work to get game A working also lets you get game N and S working with minimum effort, even though interest isn't as high for those two titles, why not enable their play anyways?

I doubt any resources were expended on going out of their way to make The Guy Game work. They did the easiest games first, working until they reached the point of diminishing returns in regards to difficulty/cost in emulating titles versus the interest of gamers. I suspect demand from gamers pushed a few titles further up the priority list, but I think its safe to assume that's basically how they made those decisions.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-31-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They worked on games using a scale that judged popularity and ease of porting. Along the way, getting halo 2 to work may have enabled barbie horse adventures to work.

Microsoft gave publishers the ability to fix emulation for their own games as well. As far as i'm aware, no publisher took them up on that offer. It's actually possible to stamp an xbox1 game with it's emulation files already on the disc so they can be played on a 360. It was never actually done though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I understand, outside of priority titles (like the Halos), as they've been developing the emulator, during the process if they can get a game to work with minimal extra work, they do it...so it's not like they sit there and think, well, should we do Barbie Horse Adventures or Beyond Good and Evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I swear that Barbie Horse Adventures was the first example that came to my mind, but when I pressed submit, I was the third person to mention it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Microsoft gave publishers the ability to fix emulation for their own games as well. As far as i'm aware, no publisher took them up on that offer. It's actually possible to stamp an xbox1 game with it's emulation files already on the disc so they can be played on a 360. It was never actually done though.
    That's not what several developers, such as Bizarre Creations, have publically stated on their message boards and such when responding to questions on why a game wasn't emulated, or why the emulation wasn't 100%.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Satan.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    That's not what several developers, such as Bizarre Creations, have publically stated on their message boards and such when responding to questions on why a game wasn't emulated, or why the emulation wasn't 100%.
    I said publishers, not developers.

Remember, microsoft published bizarre's games anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I'm still waiting for Mercenaries to work properly (unfortunately, I'll be waiting forever).

It seems that Microsoft's criteria for listing a game as backwards compatible consisted of a quick 15 minute play through. If anyone would've played Mercenaries for more than the first few missions...they never would've given it a pass. Anyway, I'll quit bitching now.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Recently got a 360 and was looking at backwards compatibility. I loved TimeSplitters 2 and to a lesser extent Future Perfect on Gamecube and was going to pick them up for Xbox until I looked at the BC list. I sure wish they would make those two compatible, but the chance of us seeing another update looks slim to none.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    ...I sure wish they would make those two compatible, but the chance of us seeing another update looks slim to none.
    That's an understatement. They won't "waste" any more money on additional BC games. This is especially true given that Sony has completely, and unapologetically, removed PS2 BC from the PS3, so there are no market forces requiring MS to add more BC games. The only way a non-compatible game will be made compatible from this point-on is if they plan to release it as an xbox original title and therefore have to fix it anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I'm still waiting for Mercenaries to work properly (unfortunately, I'll be waiting forever).

It seems that Microsoft's criteria for listing a game as backwards compatible consisted of a quick 15 minute play through. If anyone would've played Mercenaries for more than the first few missions...they never would've given it a pass. Anyway, I'll quit bitching now.
    Yeah quite complaining and bow down, Jedi scum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Wasn't that done with the Burger King games?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Who cares about BC?

Is it that much trouble to keep around (or buy) a $50 Xbox, a few hookups and a $10-12 controller?

Why on earth does someone need to wear out a higher priced system which is already delicate (360) playing stuff that can be played on a less expensive console?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently posted this PA strip in another thread, and can't resist posting it here:

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Who cares about BC?

Is it that much trouble to keep around (or buy) a $50 Xbox, a few hookups and a $10-12 controller?

Why on earth does someone need to wear out a higher priced system which is already delicate (360) playing stuff that can be played on a less expensive console?
    Because it's neat if it can do it, gives you a backup if your original console dies, lets you save space if needed, and lets you run widescreen and/or 480p or hd titles without sacrificing visual quality on the rest of your Xbox library by moving your Xbox away from a sd crt.

I don't use the BC myself and never will outside of a few Xbox Originals I've purchased, but I can see reasons why someone could appreciate it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-25-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who cares about BC?
    My problem is that I don't have any more room near my television for yet another game console, so if I can get one console to do double duty I will.

I've still got my original xbox but I'd prefer not to have to unpack it and hook everything up every time I want to play an original xbox game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who cares about BC?
    I wish the Wii was compatible with Gamecube imports and the Game Boy Player, so I could get rid of my Gamecube. As it is, I use a Power Base Converter rather than a normal Master System, a Super 8 rather than an NES unit, and I am in the process of seeing if I can get rid of my PS2 in favor of using my PS3 for all my PSX and PS2 games (having gotten rid of the original Playstation long ago). And yet, my setup is still a disgusting stack of systems with a gross conglomeration of wires behind the TV. I have a Wii, Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, Dreamcast, Saturn, SNES, Genesis, Turbo Duo, Atari 7800, and Colecovision all in the same area (my PS3 is connected to my monitor instead). I have a Commodore 64 that just sits in its box because I simply have nowhere to put it. Any new system that can completely replace one of my old systems is one I'm more likely to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

I find it hard to believe that with 3 cores, that they can't program a 100% compatible emulator.