Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: who chooses which xbox games are given BC for the 360?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    I find it hard to believe that with 3 cores, that they can't program a 100% compatible emulator.
    It's not that they can't, but its more of the problem of having to pay someone to create an emulator for each game. They arn't making any more money on those old games, that are all OOP and no longer being produced. MS doesn't care about the original XBox releases now (save for potential Xbox Originals that might be offered on XBL).
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Xplosive18

What I don't understand is if they are not going to be updating backwards compatibility any more then why don't they just put out the most requested titles left like Beyond Good and Evil as Xbox original downloads on Xbox Live instead of giving us crap no one wants like Halo 1 for $15.

That way everyone wins because they make their money and we get to play quality Xbox games on our 360. I guess that's just too logical for them though. I swear Mircosoft hates us sometimes.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    It's not that they can't, but its more of the problem of having to pay someone to create an emulator for each game.
    Part of it is that they can't. They run into the same problem every other emulator on the planet runs into. Developers usually stress the hardware to the edge of it's performance by using tricks the system was never designed to do. Without the source code, it can be a giant pain in the ass to run through the assembly code to see what every instruction does. You make a best guess effort, and be done with it. Even with all it's horsepower, i don't believe the 360 could do an instruction per instruction emulation of the Xbox1.

Mind you, i don't think the PS3 could do the same for the PS2 either, but it is more likely just due to how the MIPS worked on the PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtonMasher123 View Post
    What I don't understand is if they are not going to be updating backwards compatibility any more then why don't they just put out the most requested titles left like Beyond Good and Evil as Xbox original downloads on Xbox Live instead of giving us crap no one wants like Halo 1 for $15.
    That has very little to do with microsoft. Microsoft allows slots for only a few xbox originals per week. It's up to the publishers to offer their games and request it to be put on the list. I would expect Beyond Good and Evil to show up sometime closer to when the sequel comes out.

Rights to games can be difficult these days. Sometimes developers and publishers share the rights to an Intellectual Property. When the publisher doesn't own the developer, and the developer has games with several publishers, one party generally has to buy out the other's share in order to continue the franchise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Beyond Good & Evil was never emulated afaik, so I doubt we'll be seeing it as a Xbox Original.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._with_Xbox_360

Nearly every NTSC (North American) Xbox game is listed as working on wikipedia. There are also many comments about glitches, games freezing, etc. Is that list no good?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Xplosive18

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post

That has very little to do with microsoft. Microsoft allows slots for only a few xbox originals per week. It's up to the publishers to offer their games and request it to be put on the list. I would expect Beyond Good and Evil to show up sometime closer to when the sequel comes out.

Rights to games can be difficult these days. Sometimes developers and publishers share the rights to an Intellectual Property. When the publisher doesn't own the developer, and the developer has games with several publishers, one party generally has to buy out the other's share in order to continue the franchise.
    I understand what you are saying and that could be a problem when dealing with specific requests, but I think the point I was making is that if Microsoft is going to put up a game as a Xbox original download thats already backwards compatible then why bother at all.

I mean its not like their giving you new features or something. Charging $5 more for Halo 1 when you could buy a physical copy for $10 at Gamestop is just stupid and benefits no one. Give us something we don't already have.

And I don't completely buy the fact that its some complicated license issue thats holding up the rest of the games from being backwards enabled. PS2 managed to get 95% of PS1 games working. Microsoft is at about 50% right now after stating they were going to try to make every Xbox game compatible.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand what you are saying and that could be a problem when dealing with specific requests, but I think the point I was making is that if Microsoft is going to put up a game as a Xbox original download thats already backwards compatible then why bother at all.

I mean its not like their giving you new features or something. Charging $5 more for Halo 1 when you could buy a physical copy for $10 at Gamestop is just stupid and benefits no one. Give us something we don't already have.

And I don't completely buy the fact that its some complicated license issue thats holding up the rest of the games from being backwards enabled. PS2 managed to get 95% of PS1 games working. Microsoft is at about 50% right now after stating they were going to try to make every Xbox game compatible.
    They didn't, and they're not going to. Even the SNES doesn't have 100% emulation, i'm not sure if the NES is completely emulated or not. It's not really a worthwhile goal for a company trying to make a profit.

At this point, they're emulated most of the official system calls. Everything left are games that used "cute little tricks". At this point, they're going to have to take a team of programers and reverse-engineer each remaining game one by one. Unless there's some huge public outcry for some specific game, it ain't gonna happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._with_Xbox_360

Nearly every NTSC (North American) Xbox game is listed as working on wikipedia. There are also many comments about glitches, games freezing, etc. Is that list no good?
    Read your link more carefully, and you'll see that it states "the latest update for Xbox 360 backwards compatibility in North America was 2007-11-27, raising the total number of Xbox games compatible with the Xbox 360 to 478. Approximately 51% of the original Xbox library is now compatible with the Xbox 360 (as of the 2007-11-27 update). "

So no where close to nearly every title. They just barely got to halfway.

As for the quality of the information, it seems accurate and is the list I always refer to when I have a question on a title being backwards compatible or not.

Then the service is obviousily not for you. I've enjoyed it, I've purchased 5 titles I missed out on when new that I've enjoyed playing. It's also a nice convenience, not having to go track down a copy of a uncommon game and always having it there available to play at a press of a button.

As for your last paragraph, I've seen no one say anything about licensing being the reason why titles didn't become BC, just that emulation is a complicated thing that made it difficult to emulate a lot of games. Nor did they ever say they were going to try for 100% emulation, they always carefully selected their words to say things like "top selling Xbox titles" and so on.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-25-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At this point, they're emulated most of the official system calls. Everything left are games that used "cute little tricks". At this point, they're going to have to take a team of programers and reverse-engineer each remaining game one by one.
    What sort of cute little tricks does Capcom vs SNK 2 use? I would think that that would be a relatively easy one to get working. It's nothing more than a simply 2D fighter.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    What sort of cute little tricks does Capcom vs SNK 2 use? I would think that that would be a relatively easy one to get working. It's nothing more than a simply 2D fighter.
    Could be anything. They might have used a weird method of reading and writing save files, or used a unique method of storing the sprites in ram, they might have used triple-screen-buffering to create a transparency effect that the emulator can't reproduce at speed. Any "cute little trick" may have thrown the emulator. All the engineers have is a bunch of compiled assembly code and a debug console.

I've seen games that relied on the speed of the DVD-Rom drive in order to process functions. If you speed up or slow down the DVD drive, the game crashes.

In some cases, it may be that the game itself has a programming bug that had no effect on actual hardware, but causes the emulator to crash.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Xplosive18

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Then the service is obviousily not for you. I've enjoyed it, I've purchased 5 titles I missed out on when new that I've enjoyed playing. Its also a nice convenience, not having to go track down a copy of a uncommon game and always having it there available to play at a press of a button.
    I agree it can be a quality service for uncommon Xbox games. I almost purchased Psychonauts from them for that exact same reason. I'm more refering to those games that they put up that are extremely common.

I mean you can find like 5 copies of Crash Bandicoot and Halo at every Gamestop for 5 dollars cheaper than what Microsoft is trying to charge you on Live.

It just boggles my mind when they pull stuff like that when there are original Xbox games that me and lot of others want so badly to play on our 360's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GenocYder

Thumbs down

Yeah I made the mistake (not really a "mistake") of re-purchasing Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath the other day, only to find out it doesn't work on 360. Munch's Oddyssey works fine, but they never got around to Stranger's Wrath, I guess...I had sold my old xbox long ago in the hopes that 360 would pick up the remaining games but it looks like they haven't even done anything with the BC list in years. I guess nothing really does beat the original consoles...will be picking up an original xbox this month.

I wonder if a USB-to-Xbox controller adapter will let me play 360 Controllers on the original xbox?
    -=-Proud owner of the Video Game Retirement Home-=-

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by makaar View Post
    I wonder if a USB-to-Xbox controller adapter will let me play 360 Controllers on the original xbox?
    No. Get a logitech wireless Xbox controller. Make sure it takes 2 batteries instead of 4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No. Get a logitech wireless Xbox controller. Make sure it takes 2 batteries instead of 4.
    what? why? were there two different versions of the Logitech xbox controller?

My Logitech ps2 version only takes two.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, there's a slightly larger, slightly crappier 4 battery version. It doesn't automatically shut off like the 2 battery version.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

ProgrammingAce, do you (or anyone) know if there will be any more BC updates?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Read your link more carefully, and you'll see that it states "the latest update for Xbox 360 backwards compatibility in North America was 2007-11-27, raising the total number of Xbox games compatible with the Xbox 360 to 478. Approximately 51% of the original Xbox library is now compatible with the Xbox 360 (as of the 2007-11-27 update). "

So no where close to nearly every title. They just barely got to halfway.

As for the quality of the information, it seems accurate and is the list I always refer to when I have a question on a title being backwards compatible or not.
    Oh I see, they didn't list a game at all if it wasn't compatible in any region. Wow, 51%, yeah that is pathetic. Combine that with the slew of hardware failures, and no wonder the Wii is so popular!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    ProgrammingAce, do you (or anyone) know if there will be any more BC updates?
    I don't know. But i think it's safe to assume there won't be. Sony was really Microsoft's biggest motivator for updates. Now that they've dropped BC, microsoft doesn't have the pressure. If sony were to bring back BC and start throwing it in Microsoft's face again, they might start putting out new updates.

At this point, i think Sony and Microsoft have an unwritten agreement that if neither one pushes BC right now, neither of them has to spend money on the development.