Thread: Light/medium scratching on a black bottom PS1 disc

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Light/medium scratching on a black bottom PS1 disc

Just got a supposedly "MINT" FFVII, and of course their definition of mint and mine differ greatly.

It's not scratched a ton, but the first disc is pretty dinged up, and the 2nd and 3rd are OK (light scratches, but still annoying).

I don't want to end up with Game Doctor-like swirl marks, but is there any way to polish/buff these back to a mirror shine, or will I just make a minor problem worse (as with every other method I've tried to remove minor scratches from a game disc)?

I've heard Brasso works well, as well as taking them to CD Warehouse. I'm usually not hard on my games, but on the occasion I've gotten the odd scratch, every method I've tried just makes it worse.
    great people to do business with - D-Lite, max330mega, The Collector, Jimmy Yakapucci

neo-geo.com - vwlunatic, BIG BEAR, neogeofl, pixeljunkie, japangamesnow.com, OmegaSaber

Cherry (Level 1) williewonka2k1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anything you do on those black PS discs will just make it look worse. My advise to you is to just determine whether the discs work functionally. If you are anything like I used to be, which was extremely OCD, then just acknowledged that the game is fully functional and that you aren't going to do any further damage to the surface. If you try to buff out a scratch, especially on old PS1 games, it's just going to worsen the situation.
    -"Are you talking out of turn?"
    "No, I believe we are all talking together."
    -"I normally don't do interviews with women unless i fornicate with them................(long pause)......................so you shouldn't talk anymore..........unless you wanna....you know..."
    -Mike Tyson

"I may like fornicating more than other people, it's just who I am. I sacrifice most of my life, can I at least get laid? You know what I mean? I been robbed most of my money, can I atleast get a blow job?"
    -Mike Tyson

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's what I figured, thanks!
    great people to do business with - D-Lite, max330mega, The Collector, Jimmy Yakapucci

neo-geo.com - vwlunatic, BIG BEAR, neogeofl, pixeljunkie, japangamesnow.com, OmegaSaber

Cherry (Level 1) williewonka2k1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Believe me, I used to be CRAZY Ocd with cds. So much so that even if a finger print landed on the surface, I'd lose my train of thought dwelling on it. Since then, I've moved onto buying Records (Lp's + 45's and etc.) and believe me, cosmetic condition of things get way worse.
    -"Are you talking out of turn?"
    "No, I believe we are all talking together."
    -"I normally don't do interviews with women unless i fornicate with them................(long pause)......................so you shouldn't talk anymore..........unless you wanna....you know..."
    -Mike Tyson

"I may like fornicating more than other people, it's just who I am. I sacrifice most of my life, can I at least get laid? You know what I mean? I been robbed most of my money, can I atleast get a blow job?"
    -Mike Tyson

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should see my LaserDiscs. They are SPOTLESS.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My copy of ff7 is also like that, i think its because disc 1 gets the most play time. (since everyone starts on that disc, and it seems to be the longest in play time for more people) My disc 2 and 3 are nice, disc 1 looks super bad compared to those 2.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by williewonka2k1 View Post
    Believe me, I used to be CRAZY Ocd with cds. So much so that even if a finger print landed on the surface, I'd lose my train of thought dwelling on it. Since then, I've moved onto buying Records (Lp's + 45's and etc.) and believe me, cosmetic condition of things get way worse.
    Har har, right there with you on that one. I collect records too, but for some reason I can overlook little blemishes on those.

CD's usually = MIRROR or nothin' doin' pal.