Thread: a couple things that are always in the back of my mind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    StomachEarth

Default a couple things that are always in the back of my mind

Worshippers at the altar of gaming as we are, we always suspend our disbelief heavily for the fun of video games. But there are a few things that I always think about, despite the fact that I'll believe in lots of absurd ideas in games. I'm not challenging these ideas, just commenting on them.

The first one is jumping. It's funny to me that there is such an abundance of jumping in video games. So much so, that you might be surprised when there is no jump action in a particular game. But in life, very little jumping really happens. I don't jump too often. Sure, I don't kill aliens or hunt terrorists often either, but this jumping thing makes me laugh.

The other idea is more prevalent to older games. Why is it that when you touch an enemy, you are hurt or even killed, and the enemy leaves without a scratch. I know in some games they die as well, but it's kind of ridiculous to think that whatever tough character you're playing is so weak that a person could walk into him and he would die. Imagine if you bumped into someone on the street and were mortally wounded. Is the real challenge of the game to help a total wimp defeat some godlike being? Are the heroes just bumbling idiots? Or are they all suffering from haemophilia?

Again, this is just speculation. I think these things are amusing, but they definitely don't ruin the fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

you haven't met me on the street, i'm a (jumping) killing machine....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Think of it in dimensions.

Eliminate jumping and you limit yourself only to a very horizontal experience (life is a very horizontal experience, with some stairs/elevators/hills thrown in). Add jumping and you get the whole vertical dimension opening to you.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    you haven't met me on the street, i'm a (jumping) killing machine....
    Oh, me too. Why walk, when you can jump? AND kill?

And yes all those one hit deaths on videogames intrigue me too. Take SMB, for example: why would someone trust a whole kingdom's fate to some guy who will die instantly (and in a rather espectacular way, I'd say) when touched by a mere turtle?

EDIT: Xander, I guess jumping still plays a major role on 3-D games as well. Could it be because it was already established as a vital move for games?
    Last edited by thom_m; 02-05-2009 at 04:22 PM.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gunface View Post
    Worshippers at the altar of gaming as we are, we always suspend our disbelief heavily for the fun of video games. But there are a few things that I always think about, despite the fact that I'll believe in lots of absurd ideas in games. I'm not challenging these ideas, just commenting on them.

The first one is jumping. It's funny to me that there is such an abundance of jumping in video games. So much so, that you might be surprised when there is no jump action in a particular game. But in life, very little jumping really happens. I don't jump too often. Sure, I don't kill aliens or hunt terrorists often either, but this jumping thing makes me laugh.

The other idea is more prevalent to older games. Why is it that when you touch an enemy, you are hurt or even killed, and the enemy leaves without a scratch. I know in some games they die as well, but it's kind of ridiculous to think that whatever tough character you're playing is so weak that a person could walk into him and he would die. Imagine if you bumped into someone on the street and were mortally wounded. Is the real challenge of the game to help a total wimp defeat some godlike being? Are the heroes just bumbling idiots? Or are they all suffering from haemophilia?

Again, this is just speculation. I think these things are amusing, but they definitely don't ruin the fun.
    Technical limitations probably forced the game designers to add ridiculous jumping to add another dimension to the games, like the poster above said -- otherwise, things would be very horizontal and boring.

Whatever, it makes the games fun. Imagine Contra without jumping, and if you could just run through enemies without killing them.

I'll remain in suspended disbelief for the fun factor on these two points.

It is funny to think about, though.
    Adult Podcast for Kids
    Weekly geek podcast. Everything from movies to tv, comics to video games, pro wrestling, entertainment, and beyond, with a decidedly adult slant.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno, I could do with some more horizontal action in my life...

Oh, wait, sorry, this is about video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What bugs me is how in RPGs you're usually trying to stop the entire world from being destroyed or enslaved and yet, everyone still charges you for weapons and items and sleeping at the inn. Hope you enjoy that 30 gil when your face is on fire, pal.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1 of the earliest genres was platformers. Donkey Kong, Mario, etc.

And that's spilled off to a lot of others.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

There's no jumping in Burgertime, and you die because you get eaten by giant foods. I guess it's more true to life than Donkey Kong because there's no jumping.....sort of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, this thread got me thinking. I can't remember the last time I jumped. I mean, I walk all the time, shovel snow, but honestly don't know the last time I jumped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    StomachEarth

Quote Originally Posted by eugenek View Post
    What bugs me is how in RPGs you're usually trying to stop the entire world from being destroyed or enslaved and yet, everyone still charges you for weapons and items and sleeping at the inn. Hope you enjoy that 30 gil when your face is on fire, pal.
    Hahahahaha so true! Those unappreciative pieces of crap!

On that note, FFX's monster arena is full of monsters WAY more powerful than the last boss. What the hell is that guy doing, screwing around with these monsters? Wouldn't they be able to defeat him? That guy is just hanging out with his super powerful monsters letting the world go to shit. haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    StomachEarth

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Wow, this thread got me thinking. I can't remember the last time I jumped. I mean, I walk all the time, shovel snow, but honestly don't know the last time I jumped.
    This is why I starting thinking about it. I thought, "I don't jump a whole lot." I might jump down off of something sometimes, but I'm more likely to take the stairs. I avoid jumping. But in a video game that doesn't allow you to jump usually makes me say "What the hell? Why can't this guy jump?"

Also, you know how sometimes you jump in a video game to move faster? The jump may be a little faster than running or maybe you're just bored of running everywhere. Imagine if people did that in real life. Like if everyone on their way to work in the morning was jumping everywhere. In their dress clothes of course. I would be into that.
    Last edited by Gunface; 02-05-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

maybe you gotta be a member of Van Halen to really appreciate to 'Jump'

Actually, the very first platformer, Space Panic, there was no jumping, but digging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thom_m View Post
    And yes all those one hit deaths on videogames intrigue me too. Take SMB, for example: why would someone trust a whole kingdom's fate to some guy who will die instantly (and in a rather espectacular way, I'd say) when touched by a mere turtle?
    Those turtles are infected with salmonella.

Gunface's image of everyone jumping everywhere because it allows you to go slightly faster is priceless. That would be awesome if it was true. I always do that in Morrowind.

Most RPGs are completely illogical because no one helps you ever. Even after you've proven yourself the chosen one who can defeat the big evil they never open up the armories for you or send the army to clear those goblins out of the forest or give you anything for free. Wouldn't it be a bitch if the planet was destroyed because some guy refused to make you a deal on the silver sword? Not even an end of the world discount?

And even with impending doom you still have to travel all over the world and collect the four artifacts of power or whatever by yourself. With all the resources of the kingdom at their disposal everyone is still content to let four kids with weird hairstyles handle it on their own.
    Last edited by shopkins; 02-05-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I never understood why in many games...there would be underwater levels, but in other levels if you touched water...you died.

And why does Mario swim upright?
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Strawberry (Level 2) FrakAttack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gunface View Post
    The other idea is more prevalent to older games. Why is it that when you touch an enemy, you are hurt or even killed, and the enemy leaves without a scratch.
    And now, in modern games, it's just the opposite. You're the God of the Battlefield, absorbing arsenal-loads of bullets and bomb blasts as your enemies fall before you in ragdoll droves.

I always wonder about the Power-up Fairies who leave goodies in crates or just lying around everywhere. Are they affiliated with Santa?
    "Ambitious, but rubbish."

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    HardcoreXBL
    PSN
    HrdcrePSN
    Steam
    Brother_Daniel

We should reprogram up some of the classics to test these theories. Such as Donkey Kong, where we know while barrels would hurt, probably wouldn't kill Mario unless they knocked him off the girders. Balance on the girders would be an issue though.

Or an RPG like Final Fantasy. People would have to know that your party is the one set out to save the world. Extra quests in each town would have to be performed in order to show the people that you are indeed that hero.

Better yet, howsabout a space shooter where you have to deal not only with the enemies, but the inherent dangers of action in a total vacuum! There aren't any sounds in space. No gigantic explosions either.
    <Blackjax> YES!!! MIDGET WRESTLING ON THE SPANISH CHANNEL!!!!

Romans 3:23
    For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God
    Romans 5:8
    But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
    Romans 6:23
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

about the one hit kills, I just always assumed animation-wise espeicaly in the early games, it wasn't viable to show the turtle biting you, or the gangsta stabbing you in the balls, you just kinda have to use your imagination to what is really happening, that goomba is proably poisoned...the alien in contra will suck your face....etc etc.

or maybe mario vance and duke togo trully are complete pussies....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To steal a bit from OMM - how often do you see THAT MANY crates in real life, outside of a dock yard?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

And how many time's have you smashed a crate open looking for a bazooka?

Kriss Kross make ya Jump Jump
    Last edited by The Shawn; 02-06-2009 at 09:30 AM.