Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another ethics question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Hey, if you're getting 3 years of 100% reliability out of a PC you're lucky - even with top notch components. A failure rate is inevitable.

I'd be pissed if I was the kind of person that went "God dammit I didn't get my $200 worth of entertainment out of you yet!" when my console dies. If it's done its duty for a few years and it conks out I'm upset... but hey, stuff dies all the time.

For the cost of the console versus the number of usage hours I've gotten out of it I've gotten a pretty sweet deal for my dollar. I've already bought a second pro to replace my launch console two years after I got it (yep, it died) and a cheap Arcade for upstairs. If one dies... so be it. I'm still not going to be a dick and deliberately break something to milk a warranty. That's like dropkicking a laptop to get a new one under a Best Buy "anything goes" warranty... you're just a dick.

Granted it would be different if I was a lot younger..... I still firmly believe we're in the era of disposable electronics. They just don't last like they used to. But they're also millions of times more complex. So it goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Microsoft isn't being honest with consumers, even today. They're giving you the rules to play by. They say that if your console displays 3 rings, you get a free repair. They know full well you can induce a 3 ring error intentionally. I don't really see anything wrong with taking them up on their offer.
    Just don't mod it

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Hey, if you're getting 3 years of 100% reliability out of a PC you're lucky - even with top notch components. A failure rate is inevitable.
    If your PCs only last for 3 years, something is wrong with what you're buying. My current PC which I use daily for several hours at a time is about 8 years old and still working fine. The only times it ever had problems was with software issues(like spyware once), and updates that didn't work right(uninstalling that and reinstalling the old stuff fixed that issue). When something goes wrong, at least PCs are user serviceable.

I do agree that most stuff made now is poor quality garbage . When I buy something I expect it to last for a good amount of time, I don't just have low expectations and accept it.

I thought the whole point of buying consoles was so you wouldn't have to deal with the problems of PCs, if they fail just as bad(or worse) why not just get a more powerful PC and use that for games?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one I recieved over a year ago has been performing fine never had a problem. I also have 2 spare 360's that I got on the cheap. One mfg date 8/5/2007 pro hdmi A guy sold me sept 07 for 125 and a halo system mfg 8/7/2007. A guy sole me for 100 in early 08.

Anyone know what was the failure rate around this time frame for these revisions considering that they are not part of the launch?
    neo geo system

Insert Coin (Level 0) WhatsMyUsername's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrItaliano2004

I got mine not even a year after release and mine is still working fine. I guess I must just be super lucky?
    Gamertag: WatsMyGamertagg

Every game can be enjoyable, you just need to be more creative with some then others.