Thread: Buster Douglas - Sega Master System

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Buster Douglas - Sega Master System

I am trying to find this game... I have about 67 U.S. Master System games and I'm trying to "collect them all." But this game is hard to find.

Also -- it's hard to find a U.S. Sega Master System II. All the Ebay auctions are the European versions. I remember when the Master System II came out... at the time I was heavily into Sega Genesis and wasn't interested in the Master System anymore since it was only 8-bit. I remember the system box with Alex Kidd. I should have picked it up... I think it was cheap... $69 maybe.
    Last edited by lspear76; 02-07-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I almost bought it once, but after I placed my order, the store emailed me back with a refund and told me they had forgotten to take the game off the site and it was already sold.

The price?

$4, complete in box.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$4! Unreal. I think one was on Ebay a few months ago, but it didn't have instructions so I ignored it. I'm not really picky about "no instructions." I'd rather buy the game with them, sure, but I'm not as picky about it as some collectors.

Another problem I have with SMS collecting is that it's hard to tell the U.S. from the non-US versions. I believe you can only tell (aside from having the game and looking at the back of the box) is by the instructions. The U.S. versions have vertical instructions, while the non U.S. versions have horizontal ones. I got an Austrailian "Ghostbusters" and wasn't happy about it since I generally only collect U.S. versions now.

This causes a problem when buying from some EBAYers... like "Classic Game Source" because they only show the box and don't respond to my inquiries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

If it is one thing that I have learned with this hobby is patience. Looking for the rare stuff is going to take time and resources. Check all your local game stores. Check local flea marts You probably wont find it online cheap, but your local craigslist posting(place a want ad for SMS games) might be a shot. These places may not have it, but you may find things that are worth a little more than what you pay. You then can take that $$$ and use that to buy Buster Douglas Boxing when it pops up somewhere. You can also post on the buying a selling forums here and some sega forums that you looking for it and what you are willing to pay for it.

I wish you luck for your set. Mine was a long road of over 10 years to complete my US SMS set. My genesis set took over 13 years. The game will show up. The question is, how long are you willing to wait for it?

It is good to see a completest collector around here. It is a road less traveled, but one that can be very gratifying for some(I love it). Dont be discouraged by not finding it soon, rare stuff only surfaces once in a while.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I am trying to get a complete SMS collection. Systems like the Genesis, I'm not so sure. Maybe in time. I just keep adding to it. I've spent thousands over the past year to "get back the games I once had." For example, I had about 150 Genesis games back in 1991-1992, but sold most of them to help me get the "3DO." But I thought it was the future of gaming and I had no more need for my older systems. I actually packed my SMS games away on July 16, 1991. How do I know? Well I put a piece of tape on one of the game boxes and wrote the date on it! Haha.

At this point I'm buying games for the Turbo, SMS, Genesis, Sega CD. I also picked up some cd-i games that I wanted... Dragon's Lair I & II, since I'm a huge fan of the series.

I'm in this for the long haul, that's for sure. I have 3 shelves of games and many systems. Trying to decide how to store and display them all, and which to put in closets is tough. My one bedroom apartment may not hold my growing collection for much longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I had the SMS II console… but I actually sold it to a friend back in high school for — $5! I had got a Power Base Converter using a coupon and I wanted to play card games as well as 3D games…

I actually kind of want a SMS II again because Alex Kidd in Miracle World has proper controls… Even the version on the Wii VC states that it has the original controls that are on the cart which button 2 is punch and button 1 is jump. I cannot play well with that set up… I know I still have the manual for the console and I might still have the box at my parents house… or my mom throw it away

For SMS collecting, my only thing I require is that the game must be in the clam shell case. SMS games are pretty easy to find like this as SMS never was sold in corporate shops like Funco - (who disposed of the Genesis cases).

Good luck to find Buster Douglas Boxing. Patience is indeed necessary… it take me 15 years to just to finish half of my Turbo Grafx collection - the CD part that is… I have about ¾ of the hucards done…

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    The game will show up. The question is, how long are you willing to wait for it?
    BDB pops up often enough. The more appropriate question is, how much are you willing to pay?

I could be mistaken, but I believe Joe had one for sale in the case at the DP store last time I was there. Send digitalpress a PM and ask if it's still available.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a US SMS II with a European box. I got it from a collector that thought it was broken but it needed some soldering and it was fixed. Good deal for $20. I'd say that they are pretty rare but findable so keep looking but they can be pricey at times too.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

I got mine from someone here for $75 I think. It comes up often enough, but as said before - are you willing to pay for it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know this doesn't help you, but I got my mint CIB copy at the flea market in a lot with 18 other SMS games for $5 and a couple commons in a trade.
    So, it's out there, it just might take a while to find it. Or you can take the semi-easy route and fork over the big bucks for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sold mine (absolutely mint and complete) here I believe about a year ago for $100 or so. Yes, it is quite rare. When I was an avid SMS collector I got to the point in which I had every USA released title except for this one. I later sold off my SMS collection....and found Buster (the copy I sold) years later, go figure. Finding this game in complete nice condition would certainly pose a challenge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's one of those titles which is easy to find in Europe, under a different name?

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Wow... I've been pretty lucky in my Master System collecting.
    I got a NEW, CIB Master System 2 from Toy Works (KB Outlet that went out of business in '04) back in 1996 for $10. I got a factory sealed BDB from the local video store in Gardner as part of a deal, 4 for $10 (did that multiple times... none of the kids in my town knew what a SMS was, let alone own one).
    I lent my SMS to a "friend" and when he gave it back, it didn't power on.
    I've since bought a Power Base Converter and sawed off the back tab to make it fit on my Genesis 2, so I can at least still play SMS games.
    I'm actually in need of cash, and if you're interested I can cut you a deal on BDB. PM me if you're interested. I can provide pics, too.
    Man, I sound sketchy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A European Smurf 2 game is absolutely expensive to collect, what the value of Donald Duck LE?