Thread: Remember Kids: Rock Band Drums are only a toy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Remember Kids: Rock Band Drums are only a toy

as I found out last night.

I figured I would share this story, so that others don't fall to the same crappy fate I am in.

So I have people over normally 2 or 3 times a month (we throw some good parties, but we are good friends with all the people we invite over), and we bust out Rock Band 2.

Well people love playing the drums, and with no fail mode, they can really just mess around and not have to worry about failing.

Well one guy I have known for years normally plays drums most of the time, and me, personally, I usually don't use the drums that much.

Last night when it was only me and my roommate left around, I decided to bust out some drums. I went for a special using one of my cymbal (I got the triple cymbal set), and the special was not working. After messing with just that cymbal, I realize that the cymbal is done dealing. It is finished, busted, habius corpus.

Now, at first, I assumed, "Hey, it is possible that it just went out on its own". I don't know why, but I decided to run my hand against one of the drum pads, and the pads were hit so f'ing hard, that the main pads (not the cymbals) were dented in, and dented in bad. Keep in mind that I own and played the hell out of the rock band 1 drums, and never had this kind of denting in it.

Basically, since even though the drums are dented, they work, so I am not charging my buddy for new drums, but he now gets to buy me a cymbal for busting mine up.

The moral of the story: rock band peripherals are not real instruments, and should be treated as such.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay..

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

I guess this guy wont be coming to anymore of your partys. If he does he will probably just sit there and not have any fun because he might accidentally break something again and be charged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysdad View Post
    I guess this guy wont be coming to anymore of your partys. If he does he will probably just sit there and not have any fun because he might accidentally break something again and be charged.
    Nah, I already talked to the guy today, and I am not mad at the dude, but now he realizes that he can't hit those so hard.

I figured I would just throw that out for anybody else that has friends come over to play rock band to give a warning that the cymbals can't take the abuse that the drums themselves can.

Some of you could probably tell that already, but I wanted to throw a little warning out covered in a story about being more careful with the cymbals than you are with the drums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    I Am Your Face
    PSN
    Solertia

Drums are all I play in Rock Band, so I've broken 2 bass pedals completely in half (not the foot part, the base of the pedal) and had to bite the bullet and buy this (it is awesome). Right now my red pad's rubber pad/layer is starting to peel/come off. So yeah, these things can take a beating, but only for about 6 months.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

i've had to get on to family and friends about my kit (wireless with cymbals) the only part of the kit that is unbreakable is my custom pedal metal kick pedal the rest is cheap.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Solertia View Post
    Drums are all I play in Rock Band, so I've broken 2 bass pedals completely in half (not the foot part, the base of the pedal) and had to bite the bullet and buy this (it is awesome). Right now my red pad's rubber pad/layer is starting to peel/come off. So yeah, these things can take a beating, but only for about 6 months.
    That's actually alot cheaper than I thought it would be. I should think about getting that bad boy.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by Solertia View Post
    Drums are all I play in Rock Band, so I've broken 2 bass pedals completely in half (not the foot part, the base of the pedal) and had to bite the bullet and buy this (it is awesome).]
    Friends of mine who live in a separate dorm already has that peripheral. I can also attest to the solid design because I stomped the hell out of it not just a few days ago.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excuse me if I'm wrong but would a regular bass pedal work? Or is the pedal taht comes wioth game wired up to something. I figured if the bass drum sensor is activated when it is truck by something that a regular bass pedal wouild be fine, and definitely work better and last longer.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked up the game today and am trying to keep in mind that the little plastic Fisher Price Les Paul can NOT be wailed on like my basses in real life can. I came to this conclusion when I saw tiny plastic guitars with broken whammy bars in the store......which is why I didn't buy it used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    I Am Your Face
    PSN
    Solertia

Quote Originally Posted by mills View Post
    Excuse me if I'm wrong but would a regular bass pedal work? Or is the pedal taht comes wioth game wired up to something. I figured if the bass drum sensor is activated when it is truck by something that a regular bass pedal wouild be fine, and definitely work better and last longer.
    It works with sensors. If you see the link in my post above, that company makes Rock Band pedals from real drum pedals.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you suspect your toy trap will see some abuse, best to invest in an Ion set. As near Pro Gear as it gets in the land of Rock Make-Believe.

$250-$300 really isn't that steep (OK, more with cymbal expansions...). But, it's a real electronic drum set to boot. Hook it up to your stereo or speaker system and go nuts for real! Worth the expense for the double duty, durability and a more enriching experience.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 02-10-2009 at 05:30 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I'm always amazed by stories of bass pedals snapping in half, I've had mine 8 months and it's put up with every single bit of abuse I've thrown at it and come back for more.

Still tempted to import a destroyer pedal though.