Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: was there or is there a "multicart" for the TI 99 4A?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Wow, that's pretty weird looking. Do the insides rattle around? I couldn't really think of any more simple way to select games, hooking up several switches/buttons would take a lot more time than a wheel.

Didn't the TI-99/4a have one of those things where you could plug in multiple carts at once? I guess this person decided to go all MacGyver to save a couple bucks.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

That thing is, at the same time, fascinating...and horrifying.

Why do I want it so badly?
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Wow, that's pretty weird looking. Do the insides rattle around? I couldn't really think of any more simple way to select games, hooking up several switches/buttons would take a lot more time than a wheel.

Didn't the TI-99/4a have one of those things where you could plug in multiple carts at once? I guess this person decided to go all MacGyver to save a couple bucks.
    I can't open it, but by peeking inside I can see the circuit board just has 5 chips on it plus the wheel. One chip per game, I'd assume. Seems to be solidly made, no rattles. Just ugly as sin.

What I find weirdest about this, is the person who built it must have already owned all 5 games, otherwise where did he get the labels to cut up? So he spent a few hours with a soldering gun, scissors, and glue just to avoid swapping carts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, the TI's cartridge port wasn't all that great, it had the tendency to wear out after a while. Which really sucked when you're trying to write a program and the machine would freeze because the Extended BASIC cart moved a nanometer.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, a couple things... The Interface on the TI is only an 8 bit bus--- and it isbobly 16k of RAM, most of which is VDP RAM... It's functionality can and has been pushed--- anything you can achieve on disk you can achieve on a cart as far as graphics--- given you have the ROM space to do it... There has been a multicart made---recently. 128 games or something like that. Jon Guidry built it.. You can find it on YouTube. Jon and Tursi are brilliant guys. Check it out man!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Franken-cart

That Franken-cart is pretty awesome. =) I like it lots. I just bought a wicked multi-cart from Jon Guidry. Here's the link to the youtube movie of his demonstration. He built 5, sold 3, and is keeping the other two. I doubt we'll ever see more of these made like this. shame.... but still, glad I was able to buy one. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7kArHD0efA

Owen
    **Opry99er.com**

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default TI99/4A Game Site

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman View Post
    Is there anything worth playing on the TI994A?
    Over the years since the birth of the TI 99/4A computer, dedicated and talented programmers have produced a dazzling array of games software for it for the enjoyment of all TI'ers.

http://tigameshelf.net/

TI99/4A Computer along with its Emulators & Simulators*

*Classic99, M.E.S.S., PC99, and Win994a

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman View Post
    Really? Your favorite???
    What am i missing here?

Its not terrible but i don't think its great...
    Read my blog:

http://drbray.blogspot.com/

Now with a PC and an emulator/simulator program you can see how 'great' a computer it was in 1979 when it first came out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default No More Cartridge Port Connection Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Well, the TI's cartridge port wasn't all that great, it had the tendency to wear out after a while. Which really sucked when you're trying to write a program and the machine would freeze because the Extended BASIC cart moved a nanometer.
    You can avoid all of that now with one of the many excellent emulators/simulators now available to run on the PC.

Win99/4A, an EXCELLENT simulator of the TI 99/4A with full speech capabilities, sound capabilities, and very good module compatibility that runs on PCs running "Windows".

The file is located and can be downloaded.

http://www.99er.net/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
    Reviving this slightly moldy topic, I picked this up for $1 at a garage sale over the weekend:

Obviously homemade, since the labels were cut from authentic carts and are starting to peel. Rotate the thumbwheel to select desired game. There's no onscreen menu for selecting. Guy I bought it from didn't know where it came from, as he'd gotten it at a thrift store years earlier (the 99 cent price tag is still on it).

Merely a curiosity, but I like these weird homebrews.
    Another method of having a "Multi-Cart" was with a Super Cartridge:

Basicly a Super Cart is any cartridge that has 32K of Dynamic Ram that can be addressed through the >6000 [hexidecimal] memory location;
    The Super Cart cartridge has a battery inside it to keep whatever code that has been put at the >6000 [hexidecimal] memory location there once the TI99/4A has been turned off.

Commercial Super Cartridge:

Super Space II - E/A GROM & 32K of memory with battery backup

Various "homemade" Super Cartridges:

- usually completed as user group projects and contained - E/A GROM & 32K of memory with battery backup

The TI99/4A user can then load any number of programs into the 32K of RAM and access the program from a menu screen when the computer is in start-up mode.

The German TI9/4A users went as far as to put an EPROM in a cartridge instead of RAM & battery that had several programs loaded on it and named the cartridge "Multi-Modal"