Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    Heh, ST was pretty fucked up too. Akuma was way better than everyone else, with O.Sagat, Vega, Balrog, and Dhalsim pretty much rocking everyone below him. There's matchups, to be fair, so it's not a total wash, but I'd never call ST a balanced fighter. Now Hyper Fighting, on the other hand...Ryu was a beast, but he was not a particularly insurmountable beast.
    You know, I always forget about ST Akuma. I hate that guy.

I'd also give props to KOF 98 Ultimate Match, as SNK succeeded in making a game where all but one of the (non console exclusive) characters are viable in a competitive environment. Krauser is good and probably slightly better than everyone else, but has his own weak points. It's really what HD Remix set out to be with ST but for KOF, and I'd argue that SNK did a better job on the rebalance.
    I've never really gotten into KoF. Is 98 Ultimate Match a good place to start, Ubersaurus? I'm interested in learning the 'KoF way' in preparation for KoF XII.

EDIT: Norkusa: I have SF IV for PS3, so we'll have to play HD Remix on XBL... Which is cool with me if it's cool with you.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 03-12-2009 at 03:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Ultimate Match is a damn good spot to try the series out, as it's probably the highest point its had. Lots of characters, lots of variety. KOF XI is pretty fun, and different - easier to combo stuff and do moves, tag team based, etc. - but I think I like UM more.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post

EDIT: Norkusa: I have SF IV for PS3, so we'll have to play HD Remix on XBL... Which is cool with me if it's cool with you.
    Yeah, sure thing. I'm better in HD Remix anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it me, or are the higher levels of the Challenge mode stages impossible with a 360 controller. Man I really want me one of those fight sticks. Is it worth it to splurge for the stick over the FightPad?

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    Is it me, or are the higher levels of the Challenge mode stages impossible with a 360 controller. Man I really want me one of those fight sticks. Is it worth it to splurge for the stick over the FightPad?
    In a word, yes.

I'd wait a few weeks though. It's bad out there in 'trying to buy a stick land'. Even the regular edition sticks are going for over a hundred bucks, and the custom stick/parts guys at Arcade In A Box, Lizard Lick, and Norris are months behind.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Balrog is the hardest character to learn to play as well. What's the difference? One character being easier to use for a beginner doesn't mean the game isn't as balanced.

It's true that no fighter is perfectly balanced, but that doesn't change the fact that Street Fighter is the closest any series has came. If you ask me, the only fighter that could be considered as balanced as the Street Fighter series is Garou Mark of the Wolves(my opinion only though.)

Your mention of Guilty Gear, though? You must not know about the infinite combos that those games carry? Other than with Dhalsim, Street Fighter has no infinites. Let's not forget the amount of so called "combos" in Guilty Gear that consist of doing the exact same attacks over and over once you hit them with the first of that specific attack.

If you're a Street Fighter fan, you've most likely seen this. If not, you need to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7cW2nMf1gk It's a video of Daigo Umehara, who's probably the best Street Fighter player ever.

????????????????????

I've seen some rubbish on this forum, but you're kidding me about all this, right?

Balrog hard to use in SF4? Dhalsim infinites? What are we even discussing?

SF4 has a system where you will get dizzy after doing successive moves with EX stock charges, which prevents infinites really from happening. Low forward fireball Focus Cancel Dash repeat will dizzy you with all stocks, but I'm not sure where any of this stuff came from.

In Guilty Gear you have damage scaling, and can pop out of most attacks...it's not like X-Men vs SF which is infinite off anything...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I'm at about 4300 BP right now. Go me

Also, I got all of the Personal Actions and Colors. I honestly think I have a decent shot at getting all of the achievements in this game. I'm getting a lot better at the precise timing needed for combos.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

That's pretty good going... I'm sitting on about 1,300 currently having just managed to get the 10 ranked wins in a row achievement somehow. For the most part, I was just playing ranked to get that acheivement. I know I don't have the time or skill to get through the hard trials at all, and I won't be unlocked everything, not in a long shot. But I figure I can probably attempt the arcade ones...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm at 2300 bp.

What pisses me off playing online is the fucking turtles. They pick Gouken, Akuma, Guile, Blanka, or C. Viper and make you try that much harder to kill them because they'll stay far enough away and then just turtle until you make any sortof move.

The reason I hate it is because I have to either turtle myself or resort to doing nothing but grabs and the unblockable. They now allow for characters to block the attack that goes behind them when you jump over them, which is already easily nullified but an uppercut type of attack.

It just sucks ass that every fucking person online turtles because they suck dick at the game, making my matches that much longer because everyone playing is a fucking pussy who can't do shit.

If any of you are turtles, then fuck you too. Everytime I play and win against a turtle I message them and cuss them out. I don't if I lose only because it'd look like I'm a poor sport. I hate playing them whether I win or lose though.

Do something else if you want to do nothing but hold down/back and wait for any attack to come through.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

FINALLY got a piece of the online action. Played against 2 different players; I used Zangief both times.

The first match was against Rufus, who kept pecking away at me with weak kicks or punches followed up by that spinning move that gets spammed all the time by the computer. I squashed him both rounds.

Second match was against, SURPRISE, Ryu. This player was alright, but he did the whole run quickly to the far side of the screen and spam fireballs. Though I get the feeling he doesn't fight against the Red Cyclone very often. He seemed a little...conservative for a Shoto-Spammer. I got him the first round, by a sliver. 2nd and 3rd rounds, he won also by a sliver.

Online play was pretty smooth and I was impressed with that. It's unfortunate that it wouldn't work with me outside of the Arcade mode. I REALLY hope Capcom gets a patch for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Street Fighter 4 is just bullshit now.

The game is a pure turtle game. I just fought eight matches with the last two beating me because they did nothing but fucking turtle. The other six players turtled and I won, but it's fucking bullshit. When the best fucking tactic is just hold down and back where NOTHING can damage except specific attacks like "Grab/Guard Break/one regular attack certain characters."

I honestly liked it on Street Fighter Alpha 3 and literally other Street Fighter beforehand that actually allowed you to get around pussies that held down and back. On SF4, jumping over their head and attacking no longer nullifies their block unless they actually let go. The first hit will be blocked and when you duck and do quick attacks all they have to do is hold the other direction.

Sure it's possibly the most balanced game, but due to people who do nothing but turtle and you have to do a perfect fucking match in order to win against the decent/good players that turtle, the game is just fucked. It's also not fun when 90% of all the players turtle because you have to win by fucking grabs. It's now official in my opinion. Even though I have many more wins than losses, Street Fighter 4 is a piece of shit fighter because it's purely designed for pussy ass bitches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everytime I play and win against a turtle I message them and cuss them out. I don't if I lose only because it'd look like I'm a poor sport. I hate playing them whether I win or lose though.
    Wow, I may agree with you that SF IV online is bullshit, but man... that's a real prick thing to do.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game is a pure turtle game. I just fought eight matches with the last two beating me because they did nothing but fucking turtle. The other six players turtled and I won, but it's fucking bullshit. When the best fucking tactic is just hold down and back where NOTHING can damage except specific attacks like "Grab/Guard Break/one regular attack certain characters."

I honestly liked it on Street Fighter Alpha 3 and literally other Street Fighter beforehand that actually allowed you to get around pussies that held down and back. On SF4, jumping over their head and attacking no longer nullifies their block unless they actually let go. The first hit will be blocked and when you duck and do quick attacks all they have to do is hold the other direction.

Sure it's possibly the most balanced game, but due to people who do nothing but turtle and you have to do a perfect fucking match in order to win against the decent/good players that turtle, the game is just fucked. It's also not fun when 90% of all the players turtle because you have to win by fucking grabs. It's now official in my opinion. Even though I have many more wins than losses, Street Fighter 4 is a piece of shit fighter because it's purely designed for pussy ass bitches.

It's not the most balanced game, and you whine like a baby. Don't play the game if you can't take it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Every time I read a post of yours, my blood pressure rises just a bit.

Jesus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    It's not the most balanced game, and you whine like a baby. Don't play the game if you can't take it.
    If I can't take it? I "usually" win four to five matches to a single loss(if not more.) It's not "not being able to take it," it's the fact that everyone and their grandmother hides like a bitch in the corner and, if wait until you make your move first and doing nothing but guarding until you make a move. Truthfully it's not very fun taking off atleast half health every match with grabs or a charged attack because they only block and counter.

It's like if you were playing an FPS where the only stage was a flat area with a very small bit of cover but also one high spot that has cover and they'd do nothing but snipe until you killed them from a far more disadvantageous position. Let's also say said match only results in one kill for the winner and for the second match you'd start back where you were and they'd start where they were.

So yeah. Seeing as I don't like to turtle, puts me in a more disadvantageous position since I actually like to play a fighting game like they're supposed to be played. You know, actually moving around and attacking rather than attempt to get an easy win because you're a pussy.

Wow, I may agree with you that SF IV online is bullshit, but man... that's a real prick thing to do.
    Well. I decided I'd stop doing that. I did to around 20 people, but then thought about possibly getting IP banned from the PSN or something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

If I can't take it? I "usually" win four to five matches to a single loss(if not more.) [...]

So yeah. Seeing as I don't like to turtle, puts me in a more disadvantageous position since I actually like to play a fighting game like they're supposed to be played. You know, actually moving around and attacking rather than attempt to get an easy win because you're a pussy.
    I'd like to play you. Send me a friend request on PSN. geoffvdl is the gamer tag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Turtling is a part of the game.

I'll admit; I hate it when people turtle against me. I have a 75% winning percentage (I didn't know Player matches counted toward it o_O so I could be much higher) and most of my losses come from a Balrog and/or a Guile who turtle. However, that's just how it is. Sometimes it's more of a matchup kind of thing. For example, I use Cammy. Everyone knows Cammy doesn't have a move that directly attacks a crouching blocking opponent, so they are forced to sit there and wait. I don't mind it, because I do a lot of things to mess around with them. Also, they know that Cammy is insanely great up close fighting, so they try and wait for me to do something stupid.

That's how it is when I face Zangief. I'm not going to keep Spiral Arrowing him or Hooligan Combinationing him just so he can catch me with a throw or lariat me. So I have to stay away from him and let him chase me. Sounds lame, but hell, I'm not going to go all out on offense just because I hate turtling. Sometimes you just have to do what it takes to win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

If I can't take it? I "usually" win four to five matches to a single loss(if not more.) It's not "not being able to take it," it's the fact that everyone and their grandmother hides like a bitch in the corner and, if wait until you make your move first and doing nothing but guarding until you make a move. Truthfully it's not very fun taking off atleast half health every match with grabs or a charged attack because they only block and counter.

It's like if you were playing an FPS where the only stage was a flat area with a very small bit of cover but also one high spot that has cover and they'd do nothing but snipe until you killed them from a far more disadvantageous position. Let's also say said match only results in one kill for the winner and for the second match you'd start back where you were and they'd start where they were.

Fighting games are meant to be played with two people going all out to win, whatever it takes. Your house rules are just that; turtling has been around since day 1 of fighters. That's what grabs are for. Of course, the way you're talking, you probably have a house rule against those, too.

News flash: If I'm fighting someone in SF I'm not going to rush blindly at them, I'm going to pick my spots and attack, or try to draw them into doing something stupid. I also love how you throw up a video of 3rd Strike, arguably the most turtle-friendly SF game ever made.

Guess what? Crossups do still work in SF4, though not as well as other games. Grabs and throws still work wonders. If all someone is doing is hiding in the corner and blocking, you have options. Hell, pick a character with an overhead attack and mix it up. Or just give up and play house rules against your buddies, whatever.

Also your FPS example makes no goddamn sense in this context, because you have the same possibility to sit and turtle as they do. You just apparently aren't as patient.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    You just apparently aren't as patient.
    Bingo.

So they aren't playing how you want to play. Maybe you should try messaging them before the match next time and let them know exactly what you would like them to do.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well. I decided I'd stop doing that. I did to around 20 people, but then thought about possibly getting IP banned from the PSN or something like that.
    There's a huge problem with Street Fighter IV right now. The fact is, you are complaining about this, but winning 80% of your matches. You are complaining and you say you are winning. That's the first issue.

Second problem, and no offense to anyone here, but EVERYONE I know says they win online almost ALL the freaking time. I mean, there was this problem at the GameStop tournaments I went to, most of the people there say they win 95% of the time online, and it shocks me because hardly anyone really knows how to play this game because they are playing just "random" people online, giving them a false sense of who is good and all. Most of these guys come to the GameStop tournaments EXPECTING to win, and it's another reason why 250+ people went to Final Round this year in Atlanta. So many people THINK they are high level at the game because of the false sense that online play is giving.

You need to play the right people in Street Fighter for one.

Second, competitive play is going to be very boring or hurt real bad in fighting games, so yes, you need to man up and not complain about it.

What is "turtling" to you, may not be the same to others. You even said if someone does the SAME MOVE to you over and over, it's annoying, but hey, they are attacking you, and you need to find a way around it.

If people run to the corner, that's exactly where I want them to be. Best place to take advantage of people.