Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GameOverRG

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    This thread got me thinking... I don't think I've yet encountered a Roofus player online.

Has anyone else? How was it?
    I have , they are usually just do a bunch of cheap throws over and over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Daft Punk View Post
    I have , they are usually just do a bunch of cheap throws over and over.
    You know, you have equal access to throws too. They aren't that hard to reverse, either, especially if you know it's coming.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    Cue bitter rant warning.

I played my last match in SFIV today. I'm done. I went from loving this game the first time I played it with a group of friends to despising it after playing for a week. And before anyone asks: Yes, I suck at it, and that's not the reason I hate it.

To start, I'm a huge fan of Virtua Fighter and I play 5 online a fair bit. My win loss ratio is about 50-50 but I started playing the game around 3 and got my ass handed to me by each game until I slowly started to understand the system. I mention this because I want people to realize that putting "work" into learning a fighting game is not something I'm opposed too.

But this? I tried to stay with it, really. I kept expecting there to be something more to this game, something deeper that I could latch on to and go, "Ooooh, I see what this game is about now." But nope. That moment never came. I went through the game unlocking all the characters (all the time wondering why the game was forcing me to play cheaply against boss Seth instead of actually teaching me the game) and then did the challenge modes and then hopped into online play.

Here's a run down of my online experience:

1) Select player.
    2) Opponent selects a) Ryu, b) Ken, c) Sagat.
    3) Enter Match
    4) Opponent runs to one side of the screen.
    5) Opponent spams fireball attack.
    6) Rinse/repeat.

This is 95% of my matches. I won't go into why I think it's cheap (just to avoid people claiming that IV is perfectly balanced - it's not) or why I think the game doesn't provide you with near enough options for dealing with that kind of play (one move per character to potentially get you out of that situation is not balance) but my gripe is this: Why should I spend 60 dollars on a game when almost all the matches I play are going to look exactly the same?

And why, when I have it set to "same skill" does it throw me against opponents that have the same BP as those at the top of the leaderboards? What's it using to measure skill?

But that's just the tip of the iceberg for me. The controls are awful. No. Stop. Don't tell me that that's what I should expect when playing on the 360. No. Stop. Don't tell me that it plays fine with the fightstick or the fightpad. Why, after spending 60 bucks on a game should I be forced to shell out another 40 - 100 so the game actually works?

And I'm not an SF n00b either. Third Strike? That was a GREAT fighting game. Why? Because no matter what your opponent did, you could deal with it. It had depth, complexity, and was balanced as all get out.

This? This is a complete mess. Not that I'm attacking those of you who are legitimately a fan of the game - if you see something in it that I can't then fine by me. But honestly, I think IV has a way's to go before it can match up with Smash Brothers, let alone Virtua Fighter and Third Strike.

/Rant over.
    3rd Strike was a weak tourney game because you could get out of anything. There was no incentive to attack, and less incentive to use any of the skills learned for every other 2d fighter. No zoning. No trapping. No rushdown, because doing any of these, they could just parry out of it.

If you're seriously having trouble with fireball spam, you need to work on your spacing. you want to jump from a position where they won't be able to anti air you when you're coming in, but close enough that you can encourage them to stop fireballing. That's Street Fighter 101 shit right there. People have been dealing with it since 1991. All it takes is experience and a desire to actually improve.

As for controls, I've played on arcade sticks since 2000 for consoles, and I'm not having any problems. If you don't want to shell out for the controller the game was made for, that's entirely up to you. But I recommend it.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GameOverRG

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    You know, you have equal access to throws too. They aren't that hard to reverse, either, especially if you know it's coming.
    I know I just hate using them at all. Im the no block no throw kinda player. Ive learned though on this one you have no choice but to block. I guess I just need to learn how to throw better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    But honestly, I think IV has a way's to go before it can match up with Smash Brothers
    ohhhh man
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    ...That's Street Fighter 101 shit right there. People have been dealing with it since 1991...
    I'd refer everyone to the Street Fighter Anniversary disc that includes a video tutorial on how-to succeed at Street Fighter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Post your win %.

Mine is 66.99%. Not great, but a lot of my losses came from when I was first getting used to all of the stuff. Now I am getting 15 game winning streaks pretty consistently.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes finally Femme Fatale Pack is on PSN! Get! After a short stint in ranked matches, I decided to switch back to player matches. I don't let losing in this game affect me. I should note I just got the trophy for winning ten matches, and I've played a little bit over a hundred matches. So yeah I'm pretty terrible, but I don't let it detract from having fun. For me I just enjoy the thrill of battle.

After training with Rose for a long time, I came back to Cammy, and I think I've improved with her. I still can't do her aerial cannon dive, or hooligan combo(which is hard to pull off at all and I'm not sure it's worth the effort). Before I quit my last session I was facing a scrub using Chun Li, who didn't know how to use her specials, and kept spamming her lightning kick. I proceeding to beat him down with Cammy and Rose. At some point he must of given up on Chun Li, so he tried to be cheap with Zangief. I lost one round to his cheapness and I was determined to show him the error of his ways. I couldn't get the job done with Rose, as I was caught up in his damn command throws. So I switch to Cammy, used my Ultra when I needed to, and defeated him.

Offtopic I did get a chuckle at the ShamWow story Coldbeer I was hoping it was true, because that would've been epic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade_Ness View Post
    Yes finally Femme Fatale Pack is on PSN! Get! After a short stint in ranked matches, I decided to switch back to player matches. I don't let losing in this game affect me. I should note I just got the trophy for winning ten matches, and I've played a little bit over a hundred matches. So yeah I'm pretty terrible, but I don't let it detract from having fun. For me I just enjoy the thrill of battle.

After training with Rose for a long time, I came back to Cammy, and I think I've improved with her. I still can't do her aerial cannon dive, or hooligan combo(which is hard to pull off at all and I'm not sure it's worth the effort). Before I quit my last session I was facing a scrub using Chun Li, who didn't know how to use her specials, and kept spamming her lightning kick. I proceeding to beat him down with Cammy and Rose. At some point he must of given up on Chun Li, so he tried to be cheap with Zangief. I lost one round to his cheapness and I was determined to show him the error of his ways. I couldn't get the job done with Rose, as I was caught up in his damn command throws. So I switch to Cammy, used my Ultra when I needed to, and defeated him.

Offtopic I did get a chuckle at the ShamWow story Coldbeer I was hoping it was true, because that would've been epic.
    Oh dude, it definitely is. People seriously never see it coming if you never use it in the first round. It really throws people off, especially Zangiefs. Once they start spamming the lariat, spiral arrow all day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

Throws aren't cheap, fireball spamming isnt cheap, doing one move over and over isn't cheap. If you can't avoid it then you're just bad. Don't blame the game for your lack of skill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    Throws aren't cheap, fireball spamming isnt cheap, doing one move over and over isn't cheap. If you can't avoid it then you're just bad. Don't blame the game for your lack of skill.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Nothing is cheap about this game.

Well, unless you want the full arcade experience and buy the limited edition arcade stick >_>

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too true, you just have to find a way to counter your opponent. I had a Ken who kept doing shoryukens, so I just jumped up and air threw him until he changed his tactics.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Famidrive-16 View Post
    ohhhh man
    You know, I think the full sentence there might have changed what I said ... just a little.

Actual line: But honestly, I think IV has a way's to go before it can match up with Smash Brothers, let alone Virtua Fighter and Third Strike.

The "let alone" part that you left out indicates that I clearly think Smash Brothers is at the bottom tier of the fighting game pile. Nice try though.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EMC2INTOSH

Just got the game a couple hours ago. After a very brief training mode with Ryu I went ahead and did arcade mode on medium. Other than Bison and Zangief giving me minor problems, I was able to get up to Seth pretty easy. First round was nothing. I thought this was going to be a piece of cake and was wondering why I kept hearing so many complaints. I soon found out
    After 35 attempts(I know because I counted) I just gave up. Other than that the game is pretty damn good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Wooo! Just got my win percentage online to 73%. I am 146-54 with Cammy. I've got about 2000 BP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My win percentage is 67%, I've got about 1020 BP.

Two things:

1) I find it absolutely hilarious when fighting female characters with Ryu. After I win, they're laying on the ground, their legs are spread, they're breathing heavily and he says "Can you stand after THAT?". It makes me chuckle every time.

2) One of the challenges (I think it's time challenge #2) says below the description "who is that in the audience?". All four battles take place in the arena witha very busy audience, but I didn't see anything of interest in the audience. Am I missing something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I know in Japan there was a contest where the winner would be put into an SF4 background; I'm assuming that's what it was referring to. In which case, we may never know who, exactly, that winner was :P
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    2) One of the challenges (I think it's time challenge #2) says below the description "who is that in the audience?". All four battles take place in the arena witha very busy audience, but I didn't see anything of interest in the audience. Am I missing something?
    I was wondering what those descriptions on those challenges were.

Insert Coin (Level 0) parallelprophet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NME_Prophet

I'm lovin' my SFIV. I got the PS3 CE. So far, I beat hard mode with Ken on the first day, then I logged 17 hrs w/in 2 days as well as unlocking all Characters except for Gouken and Seth.

As for the "gay" song. It's not so gay. Street Fighter is ultimately a product of the 90's....and that being said, that song is SO NINETIES. Also, it's very arcade-ish. No qualms here. I think it's all a great package.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    prorattafactor

Quote Originally Posted by jedimind7 View Post
    Just got the game a couple hours ago. After a very brief training mode with Ryu I went ahead and did arcade mode on medium. Other than Bison and Zangief giving me minor problems, I was able to get up to Seth pretty easy. First round was nothing. I thought this was going to be a piece of cake and was wondering why I kept hearing so many complaints. I soon found out
    After 35 attempts(I know because I counted) I just gave up. Other than that the game is pretty damn good.
    I agree! On "medium" the game isn't too hard, but round 2 of Seth is crazy. He's pathetic in round 1. (Corner him and you can keep throwing him) But round two is another story. He's just a bit much. That same day I was still getting use to the new moves and so forth, so maybe I might have better chances now :P
    I develop indie games on iPhone, iPad, and Mac