Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ninja Gaiden?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All three are pretty much interchangeable to me. I spent way more time playing the first one, and actually beat it as a kid. The other two I was never able to finish without a game genie.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    The problem is that when you beat Mogru (the masked devil) you lose all your powerups. Then you have to fight Jaquio using only your sword. I've beaten him, but his patterns are really hard for me to keep up with.
    Yeah, using the slash power up requires you to play through the last level 3 times (1 for each boss). I've got save states on my emulator of choice for each boss with the slash.

I always thought 1 was better than the others, but I absolutely love the intro to 2. Also, I never could beat 2 without using slow motion on my NES Advantage. When I finally beat 1, I was so happy. The feeling of acomplishment was overwhelming to me. This is why I choose 1 as my favorite. 3 is not even close. 3 really stinks up the trilogy in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by atm55 View Post
    I'm gonna have to go with NG1, probably because I have so many memories of playing it when I was younger.
    Same with me. I remember as a child having a love/hate relationship with the first one

I loved playing it, but I hated beating it(never did). I got the end boss once, and when it started me all the way back I said "nope, not doing that again".

I have since then tried to beat it again, only to have the same feeling when I got to near the end once

The other two I have played alot less, but I tend to feel enjoying both when I did play them.

For nostalgia, Ill stick with one.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I'd have to say 3, even if getting only 5 continues sucks and it gets really difficult near the last few stages. I'd much prefer if we got the famicom version with less enemies and unlimited continues. My favorite music is in 3 as well. They're all great games though, and part of the handful of titles I kept when I liquidated my NES collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

haha. Yeah. I have a soft spot for the second one, its the first I played. So, you know, nostalgia and all XD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the second one has always been my favorite

Insert Coin (Level 0) JackElam'sEyes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    KingDiamond904

I'd have to go with Ninja Gaiden III. Although I could live without the floaty jumping the music was top notch.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

2nd, with the 1st one a close runner-up. The 2nd game is the most refined in every way- graphics, music, gameplay, etc. Though the 1st is great too with the mystery theme depicted in the cut scenes.

and who would have thought after Irene shoots Ryu when they first meet that they would hook up.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    2nd, with the 1st one a close runner-up. The 2nd game is the most refined in every way- graphics, music, gameplay, etc. Though the 1st is great too with the mystery theme depicted in the cut scenes.

and who would have thought after Irene shoots Ryu when they first meet that they would hook up.
    From NG2: The level with the wind and the dark level with the occasional lightning were nice touches that I wouldn't have minded seeing in the first game.

If the same general storyline from the NES games were used in today's edgier climate, perhaps the developers would have had Ryu hook up with Robert T.S.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    From NG2: The level with the wind and the dark level with the occasional lightning were nice touches that I wouldn't have minded seeing in the first game.
    I agree. That wind level is one of my all time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango
    If the same general storyline from the NES games were used in today's edgier climate, perhaps the developers would have had Ryu hook up with Robert T.S.
    I don't think Itagaki san would approve. Even though he's no longer with Tecmo he still wouldn't approve.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ninja Gaiden II is an awesome game but I prefer #1, if only slightly. Finishing the first still feels like a greater gaming accomplishment. The jump & slash technique is still one of my favourite classic videogame power-ups.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think one was better because of the plot. i remember playing hooky from school trying to beat that game. then when you relize your father is still alive, man i thought he was the final boss. what a great gaming experience.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Irene Lew was the first video game character I was ever smitten with. So either installment is good by me.

I find it interesting that people comment on how NG2 allows you to climb the walls without jumping back and forth from one to the other like in the first one.

In my opinion, I believe Tecmo would have included that same feature in the first Ninja Gaiden but it probably never occured to them at the time. I bet nobody ever thought about it until after the fact.

I will add this. I think it is a damn shame the NES storyline was forgotten about in the wake of the last gen reboot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Out of NG1 and 2, I always got the farthest in 2. The 1st one I think I always got slaughtered heading to the fight with the final 3, NG2 I think I made it to the 1st or 2nd of the final bosses.

Heck, now I have the urge to play them again via my NES or NES-on-DC...whichever i hook up first. How's NG Trilogy?
    Last edited by kainemaxwell; 02-24-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

This was one of my favorite series growing up but I don't think I ever beat the final boss on any on them. I think I liked the 1'st best for the story but the ability to climb walls and new cool powerups added in the later games is enough to cloud any 12 year olds judgement. So I can't say for sure which I liked the best. I'm going to have to revisit them some day.

Even though it's vastly different, my love for these games is the main reason I bought a Ninja Gaiden arcade cabinet a few months ago.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0) Auzlander's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ninja Gaiden 2 all the way!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I loved the original one for the whole nostalgia feeling. It was also the first one I played and I remember playing it non stop at my uncle's house when I was little.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

This topic needs a poll attached.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

2 was the only one I really played. Funny thing was, it was one of my "demo" carts (I think I got Solstice, NG2 and Mega Man 3 around the same time - might be wrong on MM3 but I remember Solstice was in that batch)

We had a small TV and NES on the boat back then and that's where I kept most of the funny label games

Anyway, since it was a demo I never figured out until years later that you could go down the ladder at the end of the first level - I just figured the game ended there since I kept jumping down into the pit and dying.

When I finally figured that out I played it all the way through until I got to the "COMING SOON" part - and was so pissed off that I never went back to it other than to play the intro once in awhile... best intro EVER on the NES

Tried NG1 a few years later and I didn't like it as much. I'd like to get a copy of 3 and try that at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    When I finally figured that out I played it all the way through until I got to the "COMING SOON" part - and was so pissed off that I never went back to it other than to play the intro once in awhile... best intro EVER on the NES
    Do you still have that demo cart? And I agree that the Ninja Gaiden series(atleast 1 and 2) had the best cinamatics/movie cut scenes on the Nes.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.