Thread: Dragon Quest VIII misprinted guide.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dragon Quest VIII misprinted guide.

I have had this guide since it came out. I worked at a Gamestop and was flipping through the guide when I noticed something funny. About halfway through the guide, a section of about 40 pages or so are printed backwards and upside down. I goes from somewhere around page 43 to 80 (which is upside down) and the counts back down to 42 and then goes back to the normally printed page 81. I bought it and held onto it trying to find a website to get this appraised. Any ideas of what this could be worth? For the record, they were not torn out and reglued back in. This is how it came to us form the factory. I will take pictures tomorrow and post them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Really?

Seriously?? 75 views and not so much as a hint of a comment? I thought this would be a place where people actually talked about video game stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

we cant really give you an estimate on what its worth until you show us a picture, even then we dont know for sure how much its worth. As of right now its probably not worth much, however if I were you I would hold on to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Factory errors like that are rarely worth a premium. It might very well be worth LESS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No picture is needed, it's pretty clear what you've got.

I'd agree with eugenek, it's probably not worth much more than a regular guide, and that would only be to collectors. Someone wanting to actually use it would probably give you less.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Printing errors are very common in guides and other bound materials. In fact, I believe the error rate on books and magazines is still something like 1-2%. Usually, the publisher receives an extra 2% overrun from the printer because they know a percentage will be damaged, misassembled or otherwise imperfect. I think the value of what you have is actually far less than the same guide in regular condition. It's not a collectible rarity, it's a defective product and pretty useless.

It's fascinating to me that people always assume that if something has an error that it is worth more. The only reason those upside down stamps were so valuable is that at the time, the post office ran the stamp printing operation with the same care as the US Mint printed money. As such, the chances of a defective stamp coming out, much less getting into the hands of collectors was next to none. Spend some time at your local Borders or Barnes and Noble and you will be able to see literally dozens of books and magazines a week that they return to the publisher due to defects. Nobody collects them because they are worthless.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 02-24-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Printing errors are very common in guides and other bound materials. In fact, I believe the error rate on books and magazines is still something like 1-2%. Usually, the publisher receives an extra 2% overrun from the printer because they know a percentage will be damaged, misassembled or otherwise imperfect. I think the value of what you have is actually far less than the same guide in regular condition. It's not a collectible rarity, it's a defective product and pretty useless.

It's fascinating to me that people always assume that if something has an error that it is worth more. The only reason those upside down stamps were so valuable is that at the time, the post office ran the stamp printing operation with the same care as the US Mint printed money. As such, the chances of a defective stamp coming out, much less getting into the hands of collectors was next to none. Spend some time at your local Borders or Barnes and Noble and you will be able to see literally dozens of books and magazines a week that they return to the publisher due to defects. Nobody collects them because they are worthless.
    Well, as blunt and condescending as that sounded, thank you for the reply. I will promptly throw it in the trash and be done with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by handycapzone View Post
    Well, as blunt and condescending as that sounded, thank you for the reply. I will promptly throw it in the trash and be done with it.
    PROTIP: Don't talk smack about the community here and then expect us all to jump up and help you.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Don't throw it out. Repurpose it. A guide misprinted in that way would still be perfectly good for scanning. Send it to me and I'll do it if you'd like.