Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mags: Game Informer, GamePro, & Play - Niche game coverage & Biases?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could someone please answer the new questions I posted in my March 2nd post?

Thanks ! ^_^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dhowerter View Post
    j-factor / ALL -

Thanks for all your replies

Couple of questions I forgot to ask before:

1. How is Play's coverage of the Wii and DS?
    For Wii it varies, usually depending on what's coming down the pike. If memory serves, the coverage hasn't really equaled or outpaced the 360 or PS3. The DS is a bit different as it's THE major player in their Play Mobile section. Usually gets more coverage than PSP.

Which mag would you say covers the Wii and DS more: Play or Game Informer?
    Phew, tough question. I think this answer falls in line with what I said above about Play: it varies. In regards to Wii, unless there's some major titles getting the spotlight, the coverage for that system typically lags behind PS3 and 360 in both mags. DS coverage usually gets more attention as it's the leader in that market.

2. Which is more pro-Wii in general? Game Informer or Play?
    Honestly, IMO neither. Play might showcase some of the more quirky titles for WII/DS over G.I. but that's really the extent of it. Play is more "pro-game" rather than "pro-system". G.I. tends to be more about the 360/PS3.

3. How is PLAY's AND Game Informer's coverage of PORTABLE titles? (mainly the DS)
    Given that the DS is one of my favorite systems this gen, I want to know how it is covered
    I'm not sure how in depth you're looking. DS games get mention and sometimes get showcased but beyond that I don't know what you want.

4. How is Play's coverage of mainstream titles?
    I'd like a little coverage on them even if the niche stuff is what Play focuses on
    Because they are in competition with other mags, they do cover the mainstream stuff on a regular basis.

5. How are Play's and Game Informer's hardware articles? (introducing new systems and all their features, etc.).
    The ones from EGM were excellent (and LOOONG), that was one of my favorite parts of EGM .
    That I can't answer off the top of my head. I want to say G.I. is going to give you a bit more detailed information than Play on hardware, but I'm really unsure about that as there really hasn't been any major hardware releases lately. I'd have to dig into my storage boxes to look.

I think the best answer to your questions would be to just pick up an issue or two of both and see what *you* think. When you get a mag that covers multiple platforms, you're sometimes going to get lopsided coverage on your favorite system.