Thread: Mega Man Press Kit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Mega Man Press Kit

Does anyone here know the exact number, or have a guesstimate of how many were released? I have heard many say the official "200" number is far too low, seeing how there are so many on eBay, and how the price went from $500 in September to the current $130. I won this bid and recieved this on Monday, sealed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150326660602

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The official word is "under 1000." Capcom won't be more specific than that.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Letiumtide's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

I think now is the time to grab one off of Ebay anyway, because the price is still below 1000 (presumably) I'd imagine that given time the price will slowly rise once again. Pretty much as soon as everybody who has bought one from Capcom for the sheer purpose of selling it. The numbers on ebay will become much more scarce and then eventually the ones that are on ebay will likely be at a much greater cost.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Based on a conversation I had with someone at Capcom, I would put the number right at 1,000. My understanding is they did about 200 for press, 200 for internal and vendor partners, 200 that they intended to sell and another 400 or so after the glitch happened that kept it on the store site for too long. Rare, but not among the rarest things out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Based on a conversation I had with someone at Capcom, I would put the number right at 1,000. My understanding is they did about 200 for press, 200 for internal and vendor partners, 200 that they intended to sell and another 400 or so after the glitch happened that kept it on the store site for too long. Rare, but not among the rarest things out there.
    Agreed. The majority of these will be sitting in mint condition in the collections of collectors that will all know exactly what they're worth.

What's on the disc? Is it an electronic press kit, or does it contain an actual copy of the game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Letiumtide View Post
    I think now is the time to grab one off of Ebay anyway, because the price is still below 1000 (presumably) I'd imagine that given time the price will slowly rise once again. Pretty much as soon as everybody who has bought one from Capcom for the sheer purpose of selling it. The numbers on ebay will become much more scarce and then eventually the ones that are on ebay will likely be at a much greater cost.
    I talked with some people about this subject. I'm not entirely convinced that this is going to be worth a super duper amount or even again approach the $400 prices that were common a few months ago. And this is coming from somebody who owns one. This is a cool item but it is sort of "empty" and I think it's just as likely that once the novelty of "OMG NES!" fades this collector's item will fade into obscurity. It'll probably never drop below the $50 price Capcom charged but I don't know if it'll skyrocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    That's incredibly likely. If I had the power to do it, I'd go after the people on Ebay claiming "Only 200" since it's clearly false.

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    Agreed. The majority of these will be sitting in mint condition in the collections of collectors that will all know exactly what they're worth.

What's on the disc? Is it an electronic press kit, or does it contain an actual copy of the game?
    Three things about this:

1) The shrinkwrap is cheap. And when I say cheap I mean cheap. They all have a modestly sized hole at the bottom presumably because it's actually just a shrinkwrap bag you can buy anywhere. I've owned three of these things at one point so I know that it's consistent, too.

2) The cartridge label is cheap. It has a dull matte look. It doesn't look like an official NES cartridge label.

3) The disc is just a press kit. There was talk about putting the game on the disc but the guys making this thing said the legal problems were just not worth dealing with. So what you'll get are a few short videos, screenshots, some basic write ups, and a few high resolution images. It's the stuff that Capcom sent out to the press so they can set up their spreads on the game.

As cheap as this is, it's really cool for the fact that Mega Man 9 never had a physical representation so this is the closest thing to it. What it'll be worth will be determined by either, "Ooh, rare collector's item straight from Capcom" or "WTF? This is junk." Which of these comes true remains to be seen.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-25-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    1) The shrinkwrap is cheap. And when I say cheap I mean cheap. They all have a modestly sized hole at the bottom presumably because it's actually just a shrinkwrap bag you can buy anywhere. I've owned three of these things at one point so I know that it's consistent, too.
    Oh yeah. So cheap, that if I didn't know any better, I'd think it was re-wrapped. As you can see in the picture above, the side is also shaggy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Absolutely. I was pretty surprised when I got them and there were little strings of plastic frayed along the sides. I'm convinced that it would be impossible to tell the difference between an original "factory seal" (which in this case probably amounts to a shrinkwrap baggy and a hairdrier) and a re-seal.

What you'll also find amusing is the back of the box. The back is identical to the Mega Man 1 box. The only difference is the screenshot and the list of robot masters. But they didn't change things they should have. It still says "penetrate the seven separate societies." There's also a typo in the lower right corner. Instead of saying "Pak" as in "game pak" it says "Oak." This is not a high quality product and if not for the "wow" factor and unusual circumstances there is no way it would be worth the $50 Capcom charged. Ironically enough, it's the most shoddy awesome product there is.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-25-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I like to see someone manage to transfer Megaman 9 XBLA game into NES cart with the Megaman Press kit as cover. Then it will worth a fortune.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not going to happen. Mega Man 9 looks like an NES game but it's definitely not an NES game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    I like to see someone manage to transfer Megaman 9 XBLA game into NES cart with the Megaman Press kit as cover. Then it will worth a fortune.
    That would be awesome, but it would also not necessarily bring up the value. I would then classify it as a modified homebrew. It would be sort of Frankenstein-like with bits and pieces from the Press Kit box, PS3/360/Wii ROM, re-coding it to a NES ROM, and burning it to a cartridge. Homebrews are all very rare, but none have been worth all that much. A homebrew with a run of 50 is worth less than a commercial game with a run of 1,000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

Would love to get my hands on one of those. Sadly its out of my price range right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It's been nearly a year since I posted this. Any updates on the price? Has it started going up yet, or has it stabilized?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got one too, they really aren't that hard to come by and I'm sure the print run is QUITE larger than 200.

I'd say it is worth about $150 for now, or you could slap it on eBay with a BIN for $200 and let it sit for a few months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Nearly 8 years later, there's only one on eBay right now, with a BIN of $550. The last auction one sold for $270.