Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game compilations you would like to see.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ToddofDoom's Avatar
    I live in the house I was born in, I built it with my own two hands.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game compilations you would like to see.

I have always liked the idea of releasing classic game compilations on modern systems as long as the price is right and more importantly they are faithful to their original incarnation.

You know? Titles like SNK Arcade Classics, Midway Arcade Treasures, Megaman Anniversary collection, etc.

They give the players who remember the titles a chance to play expensive rare titles or experience arcade quality without spending hundreds of dollars on a machine*. Perhaps more importantly, they give the opportunity for a younger generation of players to play classic titles. It is important to remember that a thirteen or fourteen year-old might not have access to a ten to twenty-five year old system.

*I am not going to say it is the true arcade experience. Some of the subtleties are lost. Like sweating nervously as you count your quarters hoping that by some miracle you can reach the end of Captain Commando or the funky (i.e. impossible) controls for the Spy Hunter when you try to play it with a controller.

While features like X-Box Live Arcade and the Wii Virtual Console have cut down on the demand for compilations, I still think compilations have their virtues. Many times when you buy a collection there are titles you have never played or heard of. These are titles you would not likely experience downloading titles one by one.

So what I wanted to ask was this: What compilations do you wish they would release on modern systems, both for yourself and for a future generation of classic gaming enthusiasts? (By series, company, or just whatever)

Personally I would like to see a Hudson Soft compilation. There are lots of good Hudson titles that many people haven't played or know nothing about.

I think a Psygnosis (or whatever Psygnosis is calling itself these days) compilation would also be good. I feel they also have a lot of good titles no one knows about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

How about a compilation of Rennovation 16bit shooters? Those were friggin' awesome! Raiden trilogy re-release. How about James Pond? A namco museum-style run-through of the channel f library! mmm friday!
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a sega and nintendo arcade collection

waaaay overdue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the idea as long as they bring something new to the table and offer extras that aren't available on the various emulators. Excellent example, the Arcade's Greatest Hits series for the Playstation; the Atari editions have the little interview snippets and trivia quizzes. The Namco Museum series for Playstation had tons of extras, like a cool virtual museum you could walk through and look at the original arcade flyers and cabinet art.

If they just slap together a bunch of games with no extras or anything special, what's the point? You can play all of them for free via emulation.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Compute View Post
    How about a compilation of Rennovation 16bit shooters? Those were friggin' awesome!
    Oh Yeah! Sol-Deace, Vapor Trail, Gayaers, etc.,etc. *drools*

I'd like to see a Mega Man Gameboy Collection.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Point and click adventures. Imagine a comp with all of the King's Quests, or Space Quests, or Monkey's Islands, or Maniac Mansions/Day of the Tentacle...

Or how about a Cinemaware collection? Loved Defender of the Crown, Rocket Ranger, Three Stooges, King of Chicago, It Came From The Desert, and all of the cinematic-based games from that company!
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    Point and click adventures. Imagine a comp with all of the King's Quests, or Space Quests, or Monkey's Islands, or Maniac Mansions/Day of the Tentacle...

Or how about a Cinemaware collection? Loved Defender of the Crown, Rocket Ranger, Three Stooges, King of Chicago, It Came From The Desert, and all of the cinematic-based games from that company!
    Yes and yes!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Capcom arcade collections, focusing on the side-scrolling quarter-eaters I fondly remember from my childhood:

Alien vs. Predator
    Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
    Warriors of Fate
    Knights of the Round
    Final Fights
    Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom
    Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara

Who doesn't remember playing at least one of these as a kid or teen "back in the day" in those places called "video arcades". Such a compilation would sell like crazy in the states because some of these were never previously released to home consoles here. Hell, I'd pay $60 for a 360 version of just the two D&D games. Add on decent online co-op and what you got an instant best-seller!

Or a Cave compilation. Highly doubt that would ever happen, though.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The NES and SNES era Castlevania and TMNT titles.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

For the sake of something kind of different, I'd like to see Atari make a "Flashback 3" with an actual cartridge slot, and then release a set of multicarts of Atari-owned titles grouped by categories like space games, board games, racing games, etc. all sold separately.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Letiumtide's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma. Together at last.

I second the idea of a Castlevania Compilation. Though in truth I'd much rather see them updated, not 2.5D though, just 2D.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ToddofDoom's Avatar
    I live in the house I was born in, I built it with my own two hands.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by k8track View Post
    I love the idea as long as they bring something new to the table and offer extras that aren't available on the various emulators. Excellent example, the Arcade's Greatest Hits series for the Playstation; the Atari editions have the little interview snippets and trivia quizzes. The Namco Museum series for Playstation had tons of extras, like a cool virtual museum you could walk through and look at the original arcade flyers and cabinet art.

If they just slap together a bunch of games with no extras or anything special, what's the point? You can play all of them for free via emulation.
    Features like trivia, art, and interviews are great in a collection. However, some game experiences do not transition as well to PC emulators. For example sometimes it is tough to play Golden Axe with two of your buddies on one PC. I do agree, if a collection doesn't provide any sort of "bonus" it is hard to justify buying it.

I also agree with the post about those Dungeons and Dragons side-scrollers. Those games were fun. It's a shame they've never been released in the states.

Another thing I would like to see (as odd as it sounds) is a collection bad games. A sort of "The Worst Video Games of All-Time" collection. I know this sounds weird, but sometimes sitting down and playing a horrible game with a friend is sometimes as much fun as playing a very good game with a friend. Sort of like getting together with buddies and watching a bad movie like Plan 9 From Outer Space.

One of my favorite video game memories comes from playing Shaq-fu with some of my friends a few years ago. After his sixth straight loss one of my friends angrily threw down his controller and shouted "You know, I'm sure I could get good at this game if I took the time to play it for a little while and get good but who would want to? I'm kind of proud I'm terrible at this game. What kind of a person is good at this game?"

He was so genuinely angry that the room erupted with laughter. It's hard to have an experience like that with a good game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd love an all Donkey Kong History Disc set.

From the original up to DK64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    With SCUMMVM, you can do this very thing... and play it on your DC! I do!!

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco View Post
    Capcom arcade collections, focusing on the side-scrolling quarter-eaters I fondly remember from my childhood:

Alien vs. Predator
    Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
    Warriors of Fate
    Knights of the Round
    Final Fights
    Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom
    Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara
    Hell yeah! C&D is the best side-scrolling beat-em-up ever made, IMO! Don't forget about 'The Punisher', too. Most of these games have their licenses tied up, so a compilation wouldn't happen anytime soon.

On that note, how about a Technos compilation? The Combatribes, Super Dodge Ball, Shadow Force?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The DS or PSP would make a great home for a collection of Final Fight or Double Dragon titles.

You could have 4 Final Fight's on there from the outset. This includes Arcade Final Fight, SNES FF2-3 and NES Mighty Final Fight. In fact, you could include SNES Final Fight or SNES Final Fight Guy as unlockables, even if it came across as cheesy. But fact is, they are slightly different versions in that they are missing a level and have fewer enemies on screen.

As for the Double Dragon games, you could include at least 15-20 games if someone was up for using the Battletoads/DD games, the SNES Double Dragon game, the Neo Geo one on one fighter, the GBA reboot along with the multiple ports of Double Dragon 1, 2 and 3 (including the arcade and NES versions at the very least). A compilation like that could be a monster if the right hands were on it.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

The Electronic Arts C64 collection: Skate or Die, Caveman Ugh-lympics, M.U.L.E., Larry Bird vs. Dr. J, Archon, Bard's Tale (if that's your thing) etc etc etc.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Master of Orion I and II.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sav127 View Post
    I'd love an all Donkey Kong History Disc set.

From the original up to DK64
    I LIKE IT.

Maybe you could have some sort of mega-quest mode where you have all of the different emulated home versions and complete them as one big adventure. Like you could start out with the 2600 version (or Intellivision, maybe that was the most primitive) and work your way up (Colecovision, Commodore 64, TI-99, Atari 800, NES, Arcade). You could have separate track for DKJR, or even link the two quests together, culminating in DK3. Also, the excellent Gameboy version should get its due. How cool if they could rework it and render all of those extra boards/levels in the 1981 arcade-style graphics? I'm getting excited just thinking about how cool all of this would be. A shame it won't happen.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

I think it would be really cool if we could see a Final Fantasy crazy multipack kind of collection. Like from Final Fantasy I for the NES up through the 2D ones. Like a 2D Final Fantasy Collection...just a thought lol. But i definately third that Donkey Kong History Set! I would totally buy that

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy8490 View Post
    I think it would be really cool if we could see a Final Fantasy crazy multipack kind of collection. Like from Final Fantasy I for the NES up through the 2D ones. Like a 2D Final Fantasy Collection...just a thought lol. But i definately third that Donkey Kong History Set! I would totally buy that
    Unfortunately the Final Fantasy set might never happen. There is too much money that can be made from individual games in the form of reissues and what not.

But something like Donkey Kong would be easy to justify. It'd give more casual gamers who might have never seen all the games a perfect opportunity to play some of the Donkey Kong Country sequels (i.e. 2 & 3) on SNES, the original arcade sequels (like DKIII) or even some of the Gameboy DK titles if Nintendo chose to include them.
    Last edited by bangtango; 02-27-2009 at 01:46 PM.