Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screaming Dreamcast!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Screaming Dreamcast!

Hi guys.

I've got a Dreamcast a couple of months ago and lately it became MUCH louder and would stop the game (for instance, in Crazy Taxi 2, the music would stop and it wouldn't load nothing further of the game when the level ended).
    One of my guesses would be the optical unit. Another was that the optical unit simply can't run correctly.
    Do any of you guys think that lubbing the gears and those two metal sticks of the small motor that makes the lens move with mineral oil will help a bit? Any other guesses as to why this may be happening?

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EviLEd76
    PSN
    EviLEd76

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    Hi guys.

I've got a Dreamcast a couple of months ago and lately it became MUCH louder and would stop the game (for instance, in Crazy Taxi 2, the music would stop and it wouldn't load nothing further of the game when the level ended).
    One of my guesses would be the optical unit. Another was that the optical unit simply can't run correctly.
    Do any of you guys think that lubbing the gears and those two metal sticks of the small motor that makes the lens move with mineral oil will help a bit? Any other guesses as to why this may be happening?

Thanks!
    I had a similar problem where the laser assembly would just stop reading games, legit and mods. I looked all around online and nothing worked to fix it. Had to get another one. Sorry :-(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EviLEd76 View Post
    I had a similar problem where the laser assembly would just stop reading games, legit and mods. I looked all around online and nothing worked to fix it. Had to get another one. Sorry :-(
    The thing is, it didn't stop... If it hangs, all I have to do is restart the console and I'll be able to start the game again. I never got any reading errors of any sort, so that's why I think the problem isn't the optical unit. It just makes a horrible loud noise and, at first, I even thought it was scratching my disk, but it wasn't (what I noticed is that the middle of the CD is scratched, but everywhere else is just fine).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Try cleaning the lens with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Those lens sometimes collect dust and grim, making it difficult for the system to read the discs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Try cleaning the lens with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Those lens sometimes collect dust and grim, making it difficult for the system to read the discs.
    Should I wipe the excess off with the other side of the q-tip, with something else or just let the alcohol dry?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

you can use the other end to absorb the extra. When you do this be very gently you don't want to put any force on the lense because that could mis-align it. Also give it a quick visual inspection afterwards to make sure you didnt leave any large pieces of lint or anything on the lense as que tips sometimes do that. That sound could be the laser trying to read a sector over and over which results it the laser pickup being rapidly moved back and forth as it trys to read the same sector and fails over and over. Have you noticed that it always happens in the same spot in each game?
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    you can use the other end to absorb the extra. When you do this be very gently you don't want to put any force on the lense because that could mis-align it. Also give it a quick visual inspection afterwards to make sure you didnt leave any large pieces of lint or anything on the lense as que tips sometimes do that. That sound could be the laser trying to read a sector over and over which results it the laser pickup being rapidly moved back and forth as it trys to read the same sector and fails over and over. Have you noticed that it always happens in the same spot in each game?
    I'll try cleaning it a little bit later and post the results.
    As far as the noise, it's more of a time thing than part... it usually happen like 5-10 minutes after I've entered the game. The simptoms, apart from the screeching sound, are that the music will "choke" and it will vanish. The gamy will continue playing, but If I have to load anything else, it won't. But I can turn off and then turn on again and it will work for a couple more minutes again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, that didn't work... same thing as before, about 5 minutes after I turned the console on it happened again... this time even the textures went away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Generally the screaming is that part that moves the laser back and forth being jammed, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Generally the screaming is that part that moves the laser back and forth being jammed, no?
    That's what I thought of... can I simply use mineral oil on the small plastic gears? Or should I use a different kind of lube?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's what I thought of... can I simply use mineral oil on the small plastic gears? Or should I use a different kind of lube?
    You should use synthetic grease (type used in bicycle chains among other electronic mechanisms), instead of the oil...
    Make sure the gears and other moving parts are aligned and in the case of the gears, if they worn out and missing any teeth...If you think the problem relies within the laser, there is a lens mirror located inside the actual laser enclosure..Its a bit tricky getting at it...But this usually become dirty overtime , preventing for the laser to work properly...Although, look into it as a last resort...
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Insert Coin (Level 0) ToddofDoom's Avatar
    I live in the house I was born in, I built it with my own two hands.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you should claim it is haunted and charge people 25 cents to look at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ToddofDoom View Post
    I think you should claim it is haunted and charge people 25 cents to look at it.
    It's kinda funny to listen when the Crazy Taxi 2 songs start to skip :P And then the textures vanish and you're riding the flying cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd suggest using a white lithium grease on those rails.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Insert Coin (Level 0) ToddofDoom's Avatar
    I live in the house I was born in, I built it with my own two hands.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's kinda funny to listen when the Crazy Taxi 2 songs start to skip :P And then the textures vanish and you're riding the flying cab!

Hahaha.

"Step right up! Play as the amazing Ghost Taxi! It slowly rumbles from town to town, looking for the beach that never was."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hahaha.

"Step right up! Play as the amazing Ghost Taxi! It slowly rumbles from town to town, looking for the beach that never was."
    When you have those four afro dudes, you could even say that you're kinda stoned

I'd suggest using a white lithium grease on those rails.
    I couldn't find this white grease around here. Do you think vaseline would work? Maybe if I bought the DC a drink first? :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

It's poltergeist activity!!!

Well you could replace the lens if you wish, but it's hard to find.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    It's poltergeist activity!!!

Well you could replace the lens if you wish, but it's hard to find.
    That's exacly the problem... If it were easy to find, I'd have already bought one and exchanged. But I couldn't find any... so I'll give it a shot before saying the lens is dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

my dreamcast is rather loud too. i thought that were all this way, but im told that is not the case. i dont really wanna buy another one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERWEEDO View Post
    my dreamcast is rather loud too. i thought that were all this way, but im told that is not the case. i dont really wanna buy another one.
    I have no idea, I thought they were all loud as well.
    When I get a chance to test it out, I'll post here the results...