Thread: Xbox/360 question

Insert Coin (Level 0) TwinChargers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox/360 question

Just out of total curiosity, what percentage would you guess of Xbox and Xbox 360 owners haven't played there systems on Xbox Live at all? I know speaking for myself that I own only an Xbox and I haven't ever played on Live. I've read reviews on GameFAQ and other review sites where people give the review from the perspective that you are not playing on Live (and they are not really that glowing for the most part).

I'd assume (well, almost guarantee) I'm in the minority, but I was wondering how much of the minority I'm in. Do you own one of these two and not have it on Live or know others that don't have there's connected?
    These pretzels are making me thirsty!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure now with the gold membership give-a-ways to experience the online play I assume xbox 360 has many more online players than the original xbox. It is hard to place a number without solid facts I've played both consoles online for a few months at a time but never held a continous subscription. Honestly the numbers could be anywhere from %25+ percent on the 360 and a bit more on the original xbox I imagine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have both and have never played on Live with either of them. I've only had the 360 for a couple of months though, maybe one day I'll crack.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Had an Xbox. Have a 360. Never went Live and have absolutely no intention to. For me, gaming is a solo experience (RPGs and the like). Not a big fan of teamplay or head-to-head unless it's the classics on my 2600.

Besides, the cheapskate in me says "I bought the system and I buy the games. Now you want me to pay for an extra service I'll rarely use? Fark that."
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Own an X-box and a 360 and never had either of them online. Actually Iv'e never had ANY game system on-line. Really doesn't interest me.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

I have both. I was and am on LIVE, and love it. The xbox1 I rarely played online, but with 360 I find myself chatting more with my friends and playing offline but online is awesome and a great experience too.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

had my 360 since 07, and have had it constantly connected to live (silver) for xbla, updates, dlc, keeping up w/friends, etc.

my broadband connection has too much lag to be useful for online gaming, so i've never bothered with gold, but the truth is i don't have much use for online multiplayer; i'd much rather have couch multiplayer.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I've been on Live since day two. I don't do nearly as much MP as I used to, but I still go on the occasional tear, though its been about a year since I was playing Live nightly.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I inherited an xbox late in its life. Took it on Live to play a LOT of Halo 2, after I replaced the DVD drive of course. Have a 360 and carried over my tag. I still have Live and enjoy it. Lots of good times playing Lost Planet, Gears 1&2, Halo 3, Uno, TMNT Arcade and others. I think I'll hold onto it for at least another year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never took my original Xbox online but in my opinion you're missing half of the 360 experience if you don't play on Live. I was too cheap for a little while but once I tried my free month there was no way I could go back to Silver. Besides, I can work for a couple hours and pay for a whole year of multiplayer goodness.

And for what it's worth, every single person I know with a 360 is on Live.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I got my 360 for Christmas last year (and I got my working 360 a week later) it has sat on my desk a mere three feet from my modem. And I still haven't bothered to connect them.

Part of this is because of the limited play time I have available. Another part is because my almost-4-year old would much rather play Halo 3 or Burnout Paradise than watch me play with menus and avatar creation or wait for downloads.

While I never had any interest in getting my original Xbox anywhere near a modem, I do eventually want to connect my 360. I'm curious. But I'm in no particular hurry and at this point would rather use my time to play the games I have rather than checkout the online content. When I do get around to it, I can't see myself shelling out money for Gold. I'm happy with the single player experience and don't have enough time to invest online to justify the money.

Several people at work have a 360, though, and I believe all of them are online with Gold. I can't think of a one that isn't.

Insert Coin (Level 0) JackElam'sEyes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    KingDiamond904

I actually spent more time playing live on the original Xbox back in the day than the 360 until Left 4 Dead came out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have both an xbox and a 360 and I have never played on xbox live. I never played online on my ps2 either. There is no high speed internet available where I live. I would probably at least try it if I could. I doubt I would keep my subscription going though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Yeah, until Street Fighter IV came out, the total hours I spent on regular X-Box Live with Halo 2 totally destroyed how many hours I've put into 360 live. I would seriously play Halo 2 from the time I got home from Track/Football practice until I slept.

When I got my 360, I played All Pro Football 2k8 on live occasionally, then my 360 got the rings. When I got it back, I played a little bit of Halo 3.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really understand why people refuse to even try Live. Online multiplayer is a GREAT invention, and the stories of douchebags are way overblown. Playing Halo 2 on Live was just awesome. Playing Halo 3, Worms, Gears of War 2...all killer.

Great single player experiences and online multiplayer aren't mutually exclusive. I enjoyed the fuck out of Fallout 3, love RPGs, and play through the single player in stuff like Halo 3 and Gears. But playing with people is so dynamic that it adds a killer facet to the game.

The $50 that Live costs easily extends the life of $60 games like Halo 3 and Gears of War 2 tenfold. Well worth it, in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have both Xbox consoles. I've played my original online from 2005-2009. And now I play my 360 online. It is a completely different experience being connected online. Even if you don't play multiplayer theres just so much to see and do in Xbox live marketplace. And yes, theres tons of free demos and videos to download. It's a good thing I have a 120 gig.

On a side note, I've had my PS2 for about two years and have never went online with it. I've always wanted to but I just never got around to it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I have both an Xbox and Xbox 360, and I've never gone online with either, and haven't got the slightest amount of interest in playing online multiplayer. One of these days I'd like to get my 360 online so I can buy some Live only games, but that's it.

Why? Because I don't like people. And regardless of how you think stories of douchebags have been overblown, it only takes one douchebag to sour me. I'm a bit antisocial, and when I get off work the last thing I want to do with my free time is to interact with people who I wouldn't want to talk to in real life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do alot of co-op stuff online with my buddies across town, which is convenient.

Once in a blue moon I will bust out some worms (yes, there are surprisingly still a bunch of people that play it).

Every once in awhile I will go online, and then abruptly go offline when I get reminded that as I get older, I suck more and more competively against people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I remember when I was little, I loved going to the arcades with my brothers. I loved playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or that one sidescrolling Simpsons game with them. Most of all, I loved playing Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat with other people.

That might be why I love playing online so much. The ability to have a "arcade" in your own home is really appealing to me. Although it doesn't have the nostalgia of a real arcade, it's the next best thing in my opinion.