Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If your local game store DELIVERED, would you take advantage of it?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default If your local game store DELIVERED, would you take advantage of it?

Hey folks!

Always looking to expand and add new features at the store and one of the things on my infinitely long list of things to try is a sort of "We Deliver!" option. Roughly, the idea is to allow people within a reasonable travel radius to call the store and have a game brought to them for an additional service charge. If the game/system/accessory is in stock we could bring it out that day. If it's something our local supplier has in stock, we could bring it out the next day.

I've already looked into those big custom car magnets and considered some pricing options (my initial thought was $5 + 50 cents/mile and limit to maybe a 10 mile radius for a $10 max charge). Working out the logistics of payment and having the exact right item in hand at delivery time. Haven't looked into insurance implications or really thought too deeply about scheduling yet.

First, I wanted to hear what you thought about this. Is this something you'd use, and if so, what would you consider a reasonable service charge?

Thanks as always for your input!

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

For $5, probably not although it depends on what I am buying. Am I buying a $1 Mario/Duck Hunt? Perhaps there should be a minimum order. I've never been to the store, do you sell arcade cabinets? Obviously $5 would be too low. Maybe a charge depending on what is delivered (game vs system).
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wouldn't want to pay any extra, or tip. I would ignore the service and come in person.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a distributor I've dealt with deliveries on behalf of the customer before (dropshipping).

For e-commerce it makes perfect sense, but for a local retail store you're always better off having more foot traffic so you can show off your inventory. Offering a delivery service will do very little to increase your total customer base.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I think that 'could' (big if could) work, only if one had access to an online catalog to order from. In my many years of buying i'd never once thought about calling my old indy shop to see if they had X game and then have them come to me and deliver it for a nominal fee. I was perfectly content if I called them (I normally just came in) that they put it on hold for me and I was in a little later that afternoon. They still got the sale, and I was still guaranteed my game.

Another thought (and this is only because i've migrated to accounting related work tasks and deal with expense reports daily) is that you're going to be at a wash on your mileage if you keep it at that price structure. You're only charging the customer to go out to you, so if I lived at the far edge of your travel range, you've gone 10 miles and now have to drive back those 10 miles to the store. Gas is at a more manageable price right now, but when we do any travel for work, we don't only give one way credit. When gas goes back up, you'll be eating it.

Will this be you doing the driving, or will it be one of the employees. If its an employee you might have to boost your insurance in case something happens to them (accident or a robbery) and how will they be paid for the mileage on their vehicle? Will you just give them the 50c a mile, or do they get a % of that? If they are getting the 50c, then all you're looking at for the store is the 5 bucks additional profit, on top of what you'd normally be making for the item.

I know that i'd be worried over a potential robbery/attack when idiots do that kind of stuff to pizza delivery drivers over a 12 buck pie, let alone you or an employee bringing over a 50 buck new release, or some older rare game.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I dunno. I think there are times I WOULD use such a service, if I'm feeling particularly lazy that day. Though, I do thoroughly enjoy browsing the selection at the store, but I understand that not everyone likes to go out and just browse. I think it would have a niche audience, and might be worth the while. Of course you'd encourage new customers to come in and get the 'DP Store Experience' before processing a delivery, I'd imagine.

I think that the $10 should be baseline standard up to a 10 mile radius from the store. Maybe even include some kind of discount with the store's card where if you do so many deliveries, you get one drop-off on the house or something. I'd take fuel costs and round-trip mileage into consideration before making a final call on price, though.

The reason I look at the $10 price is that the customer is paying for the convenience of having no travel involved, while still getting what they want. On the same day, even. I think that last part is really the key component in the fee, since it really would be a premium not available elsewhere. Plus, it helps keep from unnecessary calculations and keeps things relatively streamlined. You could add the upcharge to locations beyond that initial 10-mile radius. That's about what local couriers here in Cincinnati charge to drop off stuff for us when we use them.

I think one of the major things to look at is insurance, which could really be a dealbreaker. Plus waivers for the drivers who use their own vehicles so the store isn't reliable for subpar driving if an accident were to occur.

It's a promising idea, that's for sure!
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 03-09-2009 at 10:29 AM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

As a somewhat regular customer to the DP store I probably wouldn't use it. Even if there's something specific I'm looking for I like to stop by and look around and see what's in stock. The thing I like about going to local stores is just browsing and I usually end up buying twice as much merchandise as I intended to. Just my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Long winded reply

Hmm I kind of like browsing your stock personally, I can spend a decent amount of time in your store checking everything new out. Without adding an extensive stock list or online store I'd have a hard time deciding what I want. Also I'd point out the majority of your customers probably live outside of a 10 mile radius personally I'm about 50 miles or so from your store. In addition to this if i did live within a 10 mile radius that would be more incentive for me to go check the store more often, so much that you'd probably get sick of me. The price seems reasonable I'm just not sure that its a very practical idea from a business standpoint. I guess you have nothing to lose if the service isn't a smash hit you still might generate some additional sales and maybe make up a bit more on delivery charges than you spend reimbursing delivery people for gas. I think a better alternative might just be to start shipping games to customers. You save out on the costs associated with personal delivery like fuel, vehicle maintenance, those delivery magnets for the cars, and of course insurance to cover the delivery people.

*add* Also I'll agree with a comment above when browsing through the store i generally wind up buying things that i wasn't originally intending to. Also on the nature of delivery it's great for things that you have to do like eating. You have to eat but sometimes just don't feel like going out to buy food. Video games are completely different they're a durable good and not required to live (from a literal stand point at least). When i purchase games it's because i want them, if i cant be bothered to go out and buy some i probably don't have the incentive to order them delivery.
    Last edited by MrSparkle; 03-09-2009 at 11:08 AM.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Honestly my only gripe with game stores is they aren't open later. Delivery I probably wouldn't really use, unless maybe you had some sort of 24 hour on-call delivery man, hah.

It is an interesting concept though. I suppose the plan is people will see the DP van or whatever moving around town dropping stuff off and that would generate more business? It might work. Could also be good for when big game #35453 launches, you'd be the only guy in town who could say "preorder madden and we'll BRING IT TO YOU"

Insert Coin (Level 0) SpyHunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I live close enough to the store that I probably would never use the service.

Wouldn't it just be easier to ship stuff out? Why worry about gas, insurance, weather conditions, accidents, traffic and vehicle breakdowns when its so much easier to throw a game in a padded envelope and let the Post Office or UPS worry about delivering it.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpyHunter View Post
    Why worry about gas, insurance, weather conditions, accidents, traffic and vehicle breakdowns...
    Exactly. I suppose you don't have much to lose by offering a service like this, but there's really not much to gain either. I wonder if whatever gain exists is worth the risk involved.

All you need is one accident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it were an extra dollar or two maybe, but not $5-$10. Plus, I like to actually browse too. And with the older titles, I'd rather have some hands-on time to ensure the condition and price are acceptable.

Maybe $5-$10 would be worth it if the games were delivered by chicks in bikinis?
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    And with the older titles, I'd rather have some hands-on time to ensure the condition and price are acceptable.
    I feel the same way, I wouldn't be comfortable buying preowned games for my collection sight unseen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    I know that i'd be worried over a potential robbery/attack when idiots do that kind of stuff to pizza delivery drivers over a 12 buck pie, let alone you or an employee bringing over a 50 buck new release, or some older rare game.
    As a person who had 3 guys beat the shit out of him for $15 dollars in pizza and $17 cash, I should have thought of this very good point. It would be worse with games. With Pizza you can't flip the stolen merchandise along with the cash obtained.

Seriously... don't do this.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it is a great idea, as I live too far away to ever realistically pop into the store. However the .50 a mile gets pretty pricey for customers living over x amount of miles. USPS flat rate boxes would be a nice option for customers further away or maybe a surcharge for the store that is fixed. I'd prefer to shop from a respectable game store like DP than the countless douche bags that run hole in the wall, third world style stores in this area.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't use it. But I could see people using it. Especially people who do not drive and especially during the winter months, even more specifically around the holidays. The price you decide to charge should be competitive with that of USPS shipping charges. If they live in your city you can ship it to them for a few dollars and they will have it the next day. Some people cannot wait a day, for big releases like a new Halo game or something. I see people taking advantage of that too. But in this scenario maybe it isn't worth your time, since you don't make a profit off of new game sales.

Basically I feel if they want the game bad enough to pay extra for a delivery service. They will probably find a way there to pick it up.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd use it if the fee was only $5 or so. I don't have a car, so when I go to my local Gamestop I have to pay $2 to take the bus there and back, so it'd only be $3 more overall.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I already don't get out of the house enough...

If I had this kind of service available, I would probably use it, of course, my local store is a Gamestop next door to a Chinese restaurant...so I would start asking them to bring me the new Madden and some Chicken Chow Mein.

I think the safety concerns, plus (I'm assuming here) that having a fleet of delivery drivers has to cost something insurance wise, may be price prohibitive.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why??

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Why??
    "There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" - RFK

A few things to address from previous posts:

- This is totally meant for LAZY gamers. I understand that most people here are scavenger/hunter-types so it probably seems preposterous. But you all know that lazy bastard who wants to call from his couch and have Madden 2010 brought to him. And this service is specifically for THAT guy.

- There would never be cash involved unless it's from a known customer. The FIRST thing I thought about was the safety of my delivery person. The game would simply have to be pre-paid to justify a delivery.

- No 50-mile hikes! I thought I was being clear in the original post, but I think a 10-mile radius would cover enough ground. Exceptions, again, for known customers.

Thanks for the feedback so far! More is better, though