Thread: A very neat thing has happened for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A very neat thing has happened for me.

In the hopes the board would be restored, I've held off since this afternoon, but I guess it's time for me to face facts and resume activities here....

A very weird thing happened yesterday inside the flaky internal organ sitting between my ears. I was sitting at work, procrastinating and daydreaming, when out of the blue I recalled that my childhood dentist had a waiting room filled with handheld electronic games. Now, this was during the Mattell Electronics heyday, and his waiting room, office, and several examination rooms were stocked with Football, Football II, Baseball, Head-To-Head Colecos, Microvisions, etc..., in addition to the usual Highlights & National Geographic Worlds. I'll bet the various 'grown-ups' that worked there day in & day out bought Tylenol by the casefull.

I spent about 10-15 minutes trying to locate his office phone number online. Part of the time was spent looking up the wrong name - I remembered his last name having an 's' on the end where there is none. Well, I finally found the number, and I called the office. I was embarrassed to explain why I was calling for him, so I asked the receptionist if he had an email address I could use. She explained that he has no email/online capability, so I asked if I could leave a message, & went ahead and explained what I wanted. I told her that I remembered him being a very cool dentist when I was his patient about 20 years ago, and that I now collected all of the games he used to have in his office. I asked if he might still have any of them lying about, and maybe I could take them off his hands? I left her my email address & phone #, and was told he'd get in touch.

When I mentioned this to my wife this evening, she said 'Oh, that explains the weird message on the machine yesterday'. SO, I listened to the message, and called my old dentist at his home this evening. It turns out that just last weekend they cleaned out all of their old games, becasue the currnet crop of kids wanted to use the new GB Advances, so the crop of Gameboys and 'Segas' (I assume Game Gears) were replaced. The older systems are all in a bag by his front door, waiting to go to Goodwill. It sounds like the oldest thing I'm likely to see is an original Game Boy, but as I don't have one yet that's still pretty neat.

AND, the good doctor told me to send him my address, and he'll box the whole shebang up and send it to me! I asked if I should/could send him a check for anything, and he refused! I'm getting the booty GRATIS!!

Once the loot arrives I'll update you guys with all the juicy details.(Geez, what a geek I am! I sound like I'm about to go on a date with a hot girl with a reputation!)

Well, he may not want anything for the stuff, but once I get it I intend to at least make some sort of donation in his name, and have some sort of certificate or something sent to his office.

How neat this is!

:Fade-color

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoa that's very generous of the dentist. Did you have a lot of cavities in your childhood? maybe that's why he's sending them all for free since the bill from you alone helped send his kid through college :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway give me your address and I will guard the mailbox with my life until that package arrives.... and then run off with it. :lol: :lol:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Atar1G1rl
    Steam
    atar1g1rl

That is beyond cool!!! Great, now I need to scour through my brain and see if I recall any doctors or dentists that had the same kind of thing. I was sick a lot as a kid - there has to be somebody!!!

Very excellent psychic powers, to boot!! You rescued those games just in the nick of time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

that damn cool.

Thats just actually neat enough if you spruced the story up a little it would make a good story blurb for the next dp guide or somethin.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, the same happened to me. except slightly different. I had a strange dream about my old babysitter having breath of fire for sega genesis???? anyway, i remembered she had a sega genesis. I went over to her house, and she of course remembered me, and i told her i'll pay her some 2 bucks a game or something, and she gave them to me free! no rarities, but 20 free genesis games is just icing on a sweet sweet cake.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My old dentist used to have several Vectri (plural for Vectrex?) in his exam rooms and waiting rooms. Cool office too, it was set up so that a whole family could come in and be seen at once, so while you got examined your brother and sister were just a few feet away playing video games. I've contemplated recently whether to stop in and see if he still has them or if they are put away in storage (hopefully)
    Keep It Stinky, Baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is just sooo cool, Steve. My dentist had golf and hunting magazines in the waiting room.

* tries to think of old connections that had now-desirable loot*

*can't think of any*

*leaves*

*boingboingboing .. (ahem) oops. Wrong time period, sorry.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is sooo cool! I had something similar happen to me recently, alas it didn't involve a dentist, only a friend. I just got a complete, and I mean complete set of Atari Antics magazines in just about mint condition from my friends dad. There were a ton of Atari 800 games and a system. It also had something I had never seen before, a Super Sketch. I'm sure these are pretty common, it was just new to me!
    I'd rather be rich than stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All my Dentist had were Seventh Day Adventist brochures.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice find my old dentist did the same thing but his games sucked im talking all mario and tetris. Hope u get a rare.