Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

Default Suikoden 3

WARNING: Spoilers ahead......Hope thats a nice enough warning. Hehe......

*ahem* Well......I finally fucking did it. I accomplished my life's goal and just shy of 60 hours.....thats right....I managed to beat Suikoden 3 today. First time through, I recruited all 108 characters and am currently messing around with Luc's tale. I must admit this is a sweet bonus for recruiting everyone....much better then Gremio actually being alive in the first and Nanami also being alive and traveling with Jowy at the end of the second. This has got to be my current favorite game....I love it more then anything....atm. NOW I MUST GO AND DANCE IN HAPPINESS!!!!!!!!!!!

Just in case anyone is curious, I used Hugo (with true fire and wind runes), Chris (with true water and her phoenix rune), Geddoe (with true lightning, water and another lightning rune), Futch (with wind and thunder), Sasarai (with true earth, pale gate and flowing.....who btw is the best character IMO to bring along for the final battle), and Edge (with lightning and a flowing rune). At first I kept getting my ass kicked by the end boss, but if you use Sasarai's true earth rune's third level attack, it works wonders. Reflects a single magic attack...then basically I concentrated Sasarai and Chris both on healing every turn and Geddoe, Edge and Futch taking out the water orb right away with lightning attacks. Then I went back to just physical attacks and knocked the three remaining orbs out one at a time (Lightning, Fire, then Earth).

Ahhh sweet victory...now I must scamper off and brag someplace else....heh.
    RIP Kamino. 1984-2010. Yes, yes I do like nes...

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aye, that lost boss is a BITCH. I was frustrated as hell on that thing. I used chris straight through, she was just too damn hot in her full armor setup. GREAT game. (Someone else on the board said it sucked in 3-D, to them I simply say :P
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried to play the game and enjoy it on its own merits, I really did. But I just couldn't get over how much better it would have been if it was in 2D, and used the old, non-screwed-up battle system, and had a world map, and...and...*sob*.

So it went on permanent loan to my cousin, instead of being doomed to a lifetime of collecting dust on the shelf. I'm just an old curmudgeon that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

Quote Originally Posted by Dahne
    I tried to play the game and enjoy it on its own merits, I really did. But I just couldn't get over how much better it would have been if it was in 2D, and used the old, non-screwed-up battle system, and had a world map, and...and...*sob*.

So it went on permanent loan to my cousin, instead of being doomed to a lifetime of collecting dust on the shelf. I'm just an old curmudgeon that way.
    I actually enjoyed it being in 3-D.....it made my Futch look so cute...heh. I was extremely pissed at the battle system though...until I figured it out. A lot more strategy is involved due to having to raise characters' skills in order for them to pull off magic casting quicker. For example, Sasarai could get an A ranking with pale gate magic, so naturally that rune benefited him more then say....Futch. Rody was a pretty good magic user....his skills could be messed with a lot. The only part of the battle system that pissed me off was each individual character couldn't be given an order, it was done with the "buddy" system. This was a pain, because if I wanted all my attacking characters to go after a certain enemy, but one group need to heal....the other character in the pair would attack any enemy. This was a bitch when I was trying to double team a certain elemental orb at the end.

Another flaw in the game was I would have loved to see more returning stars. The big appeal in the original to second Suikoden, was getting to recruit old favorites. Apple, Luc, Futch, Sasarai, Yuber, Bright, Nash (Suikogaiden), Jeane.....very few returning/familar faces. There was a lot of the offsprings (Lilly, Caesar, Albert, etc.) of former characters.....as well as tie-ins (Edge with Viktor's Star Dragon Sword)....but damn I would have loved to have seen Flik again. Heh.

In all honesty, I fell in love with this game.....hell I like it more the the second one and Lunar SSSC combined. I will admit, at first I brushed it off....actually since October I've let it sit....thanks to my depression and lack of will to accomplish anything....now I'm back on an RPG/gaming kick......to bad Suikoden 3 is the only good rpg on the PS2...well besides Dark Cloud 2....or so I've heard.

It feels great to finally beat another game....last game I actually completed was Grandia 2 for the PS2 back in April of last year......

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I highly doubt that the game would have been better in 2-D, unless Konami finally disposed of the stiff, seldom-animated look of Suikoden I and II. Suikoden III's polygon characters may have been lacking in movement, but they aren't nearly as bland as sprites that convey emotions by jumping up and down. A series has to move on, and it's only in the weakest of translations that a franchise gains less from accepting 3-D than it loses by forsaking its 2-D roots.

I actually finished off the final boss on my first try. I had . . . let's see . . . Hugo, Emily, Futch, Bright, Chris, and Sasarai. I was playing Hugo as the FC, but I've since promised myself that I'll go back and choose Chris, just to get that extra stretch out of you-know-who's death scene.

SPOILERS FOLLOW.

By the way, did anyway find it hokey when Hugo hugged Chris at the end? Forgiving her is one thing, but, however accidentally, SHE KILLED HIS BEST FRIEND. Embracing her just doesn't seem like a natural thing to do, y'know.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Tune
    ......to bad Suikoden 3 is the only good rpg on the PS2...well besides Dark Cloud 2....or so I've heard.
    Eh? You didn't like either Final Fantasy X or Xenosaga Episode 1? To be honest, I'd consider both games better than Suikoden III.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris
    ......to bad Suikoden 3 is the only good rpg on the PS2...well besides Dark Cloud 2....or so I've heard.
    Eh? You didn't like either Final Fantasy X or Xenosaga Episode 1? To be honest, I'd consider both games better than Suikoden III.
    I have them both....and to be honest....I would rather play a game then watch a movie. Both were movies...with five minutes of game play every now and again. Heh. As far as Final Fantasy titles go....they are all a bore to me, except seven and tactics.....and everyone knows Xenogears was one of the greatest RPGs evar....hard to play a shit title like saga after falling in love with gears. Heh.

I was playing Hugo as the FC, but I've since promised myself that I'll go back and choose Chris, just to get that extra stretch out of you-know-who's death scene.

SPOILERS FOLLOW.

By the way, did anyway find it hokey when Hugo hugged Chris at the end? Forgiving her is one thing, but, however accidentally, SHE KILLED HIS BEST FRIEND. Embracing her just doesn't seem like a natural thing to do, y'know.
    Hugo says he respects her......plus I think he grew a bit attached to Chris....thus the hug. Also, she shook his hand as a farewell, in the grasslands, they hug to say goodbye. Heh. Or so Hugo says. Anyways, I loved Hugo better then Chris and Geddoe....so of course he was the number one choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have them both....and to be honest....I would rather play a game then watch a movie. Both were movies...with five minutes of game play every now and again. Heh. As far as Final Fantasy titles go....they are all a bore to me, except seven and tactics.....and everyone knows Xenogears was one of the greatest RPGs evar....hard to play a shit title like saga after falling in love with gears. Heh.
    Funny, I found that Suikoden III was far duller at the start, with its tedious conversations and repetitive wandering through empty fields. It's strange how some are content with reading screen after screen of text (as in Xenogears and Suikoden III), yet the thought of watching a story through cinemas rankles them.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny, I found that Suikoden III was far duller at the start, with its tedious conversations and repetitive wandering through empty fields.
    That's another thing that turned be off a lot. Do these die down later on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's strange how some are content with reading screen after screen of text (as in Xenogears and Suikoden III), yet the thought of watching a story through cinemas rankles them.
    I don't like cinemas OR tons 'o text. How 'bout that? ;)

Bleh. I will be an ex-RPG fan sooner than later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved Suikoden 3 but it had it's problems. The story was killler. Period. However, the overworld and very linear structure, couple with the bad sense of pacing in many parts kinda made it drag badly. The battle system worked, but wasn't nearly as good as the original....I like to have a bit more control over my characters than that. The 3D worked for me.........it looked GOOD. I loved the second one, but because they took their time on this one, it looked good. If they'd done a half assed job, sure I'd hate it, but they didn't....it's A list all the way. Next time....open overworld, better pacing, and don't go thru the same spots over and over, and it'll be perfect! I know they had to do that for the story, but it was still kinda irritating!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."