Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sealed SMS games

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember the SMS shrink being very crinkly like a plastic candy wrapper off a Jolly Rancher... It wasn't the smooth feathery type commonly used. The seams were often busted as well since the plastic was harder. Even back when you could find them at retail stores. IIRC, I Never found one without the hang tag free through a hole on top though.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the Sonic and Golden Axe Warrior I bought over the phone from Sega back then were even shrinked when I got them in the mail.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 03-28-2009 at 08:37 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Nice pictures. I think the jury is still out on whether these seals are legit, but I could certainly believe it, since the UPC games are already different than regular US games, so why couldn't the sealing be different, too? We'll have to wait until more "sealed" Striders, Golden Axe Warriors, Spider-mans or Sonics (yeah right) come around before a definitive answer, though.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an exact copy like your Strider. Yeah it's rewrapped which sucks. It's difficult to find originals these days. I'm gunning for the US set!!!

The Best Fighter in HISTORY!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneclown View Post
    I have an exact copy like your Strider. Yeah it's rewrapped which sucks. It's difficult to find originals these days. I'm gunning for the US set!!!
    Is your copy of Strider sealed new with the original Sega Sticker? Was it bought brand new without any shrink wrap?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jbossman View Post
    Is your copy of Strider sealed new with the original Sega Sticker? Was it bought brand new without any shrink wrap?
    Yes mine came sealed with the Sega Sticker...but I believe it's a fake. First of all...the Canadian versions were sold with the Sega Sticker ONLY. The American versions came just Sealed. Now...that's what confuses a lot of things. I bought mine off ebay like 3 years ago. At first I didn't know if it was real or fake...so I took the chance of buying it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes mine came sealed with the Sega Sticker...but I believe it's a fake. First of all...the Canadian versions were sold with the Sega Sticker ONLY. The American versions came just Sealed. Now...that's what confuses a lot of things. I bought mine off ebay like 3 years ago. At first I didn't know if it was real or fake...so I took the chance of buying it.
    Are you saying that the Canadian version came with the Sega sticker only (no shrinkwrap), and the US version came shrink wrapped without the Sega sticker? How do you know that the Strider you bought off ebay is fake?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you saying that the Canadian version came with the Sega sticker only (no shrinkwrap), and the US version came shrink wrapped without the Sega sticker? How do you know that the Strider you bought off ebay is fake?
    Yes because if you check out my pictures below I bought this lot from my buddy in Vancouver, CA about 3 years ago. As you can see below the Sega Sticker is the only thing keeping the games sealed. These are the Canadian versions.

If you look at my copy of Strider you can see that it's sealed and has the Sega Sticker. Now that's not possible unless it's resealed. Plus if you look at the back of the game it's half english and half french. Our Canadian versions were made that way.

Let me know what you think? So it brought to my attention that this game is a fake BUT it might be a sealed Canadian version still unless the sticker has not been tampered with. I'm having thoughts about opening her up. Since I only collect US versions.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes because if you check out my pictures below I bought this lot from my buddy in Vancouver, CA about 3 years ago. As you can see below the Sega Sticker is the only thing keeping the games sealed. These are the Canadian versions.
    Yes I agree those games are genuine Canadian sealed versions.

If you look at my copy of Strider you can see that it's sealed and has the Sega Sticker. Now that's not possible unless it's resealed. Plus if you look at the back of the game it's half english and half french. Our Canadian versions were made that way.
    I disagree with you. You are assuming our versions of Strider are Canadian versions, but they are US releases. You can tell because of the UPC sticker covering the original UPC. Only 4 US games came this way (Sonic the Hedgehog, Strider, Golden Axe Warrior, and Spider man) and were the same exact game except for the UPC sticker.

Let me know what you think? So it brought to my attention that this game is a fake BUT it might be a sealed Canadian version still unless the sticker has not been tampered with. I'm having thoughts about opening her up. Since I only collect US versions.
    I only collect US versions too. How hard is it to remove the Sega sticker without damaging it? We need to open the Striders to verify they are real, because I'm betting that the shrinkwrap is fake but was put on because they came from the factory with just the Sega sticker and the store/collector wanted to add value by putting on the shrinkwrap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I agree those games are genuine Canadian sealed versions.

I disagree with you. You are assuming our versions of Strider are Canadian versions, but they are US releases. You can tell because of the UPC sticker covering the original UPC. Only 4 US games came this way (Sonic the Hedgehog, Strider, Golden Axe Warrior, and Spider man) and were the same exact game except for the UPC sticker.

I only collect US versions too. How hard is it to remove the Sega sticker without damaging it? We need to open the Striders to verify they are real, because I'm betting that the shrinkwrap is fake but was put on because they came from the factory with just the Sega sticker and the store/collector wanted to add value by putting on the shrinkwrap.
    What I mean is...this Strider I have now...must be the Canadian version because the American versions would not have french on the back insert. Plus the UPC code is stickered on...not officially on the insert like the other US games. Are you thinking yours is a US copy but we have the same copies. Or was there only one version of Strider released? I dont know.

I think we have no choice but to damage the shrinkwrap to get to the Sega Sticker. The sad thing is the shrink wrap looks so fake hey compared to my other US versions. Yeah the collector could've added the shrinkwrap to make more money...I could see that. I hate fake shrinkwrap games.

By the way how many US sealed SMS games do you have?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the four Euro games released in the US were not localized, that is why the other languages on the back of Strider are there. You have the US version like me. The only thing left to prove is if our games our truly new, and the only way to know that is to open them without breaking the sega sticker. You should have plenty of practice with all those new double dragon games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the four Euro games released in the US were not localized, that is why the other languages on the back of Strider are there. You have the US version like me. The only thing left to prove is if our games our truly new, and the only way to know that is to open them without breaking the sega sticker. You should have plenty of practice with all those new double dragon games...
    Yeah...now I'm thinking of just finding another copy of the game and just opening it up. That way I can let you know what's the deal. I just have to find one first.

Hahha...yeah all my DDs...I bet you once I take the sticker off it wont come back on...but I guess you never know.