Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N64 s-video question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guarantee that video quality of the above circuit sucks. It's intended purpose is actually backward: to convert s-video to composite. It's detailed on this page, including an observation on using it as comp->s-vid adapter

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/c...eo2cvideo.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Yeah, but cheap s-vids and composite cables aren't really that different in price. The time in labor, and the cost of extra s-video connectors would probably not make this a very common practice.

Also the s-video cable would probably be visibly shorter than the audio connectors, so this would be easy to spot. So, to make it look legit the seller would also have to hack off the composite tips to make all the cables match- therefore the buyer would also have to purchase additional composite tips. I don't really buy this reasoning, because I don't think it happens a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I guarantee that video quality of the above circuit sucks. It's intended purpose is actually backward: to convert s-video to composite. It's detailed on this page, including an observation on using it as comp->s-vid adapter

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/c...eo2cvideo.html

I just meant to answer his question about hacking a S-Video connector to the composite cable. I didn't mean to imply that the seller had done that or that the result would be similar to a proper S-Video cable. I've edited my previous post for clarification.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by izarate View Post
    I just meant to answer his question about hacking a S-Video connector to the composite cable. I didn't mean to imply that the seller had done that or that the result would be similar to a proper S-Video cable. I've edited my previous post for clarification.

Oops, my fault. I thought you were also the poster above that suggested that was what happened. I scrolled up, and sure enough it was someone else. Again, my apologies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I certainly believe that an eBay seller might have pulled that crap. It'd be interesting to use a VOM and see how the OP's cable actually pins out. Color sparklies is a good indicator of crossed luma/chroma lines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if this applies to NTSC seems, but on PAL systems the original black N64's will output through an s-video cable but the coloured systems don't.

I tried it on my clear purple N64, and I got no signal. Where as my black N64 displays okay (although PAL S-Video output isn't great).